main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Darth Vader? In person? Nope. I'm sure his legacy will be influential still, and we may see Anakin as a Force Ghost, forever young.

Which makes me think. How many people will know in the film that Vader was Luke's father? R2, Han and Leia for a start, but I'm sure the new Jedi will be a little suspicious for some people in the new Republic, so this secret knowledge may be an actual plot point.

Master Skywalker, a Force user, is the son of Darth Vader, another Force user with genocidal tendencies?

(Someone also mentioned Vader's fortress, that's possible, but even it that happens, it will just be a menacing background.)

kainee, Julius Vernon and The Bops like this.
  2. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The only "dead" person from the films I could see comming back to life is Plagueis. Just as Qui Gon Jin figured out how to manifest as force ghost perhaps Plagueis can figure out how to manifest in the flesh. It was his primary concern in life ya know....to cheat death. They also hinted that he was Vaders father so, in the tradition of twists with fathers..... Whatever villain they chose to create it has to be beyond epic in order to rival the Vader of the OT. Some one has their work cut out for them. I'm not sure it can be done.

kainee likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think he won't be in it.

Know why? 'cos he dead.

Just sayin'

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If Disney know the franchise that they have spent their precious millions on, then they ought to be aware that Darth Vader is simply the title awarded to a male named Anakin Skywalker who was successfully seduced by the force. That's all the name Darth Vader is. If they are looking to capitalise on Darth Vader, then they must be looking for expanding on the name and the name alone because the costume which Darth Vader wore was incidental to the events surrounding his descent to the Dark Side. The helmet, mask and cape forms part of his identity, but there is far more to Darth Vader than just the costume. If they are looking to cash in on simply the iconography that formed part of the character, then they have misunderstood the story completely.

5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    If Darth Vader is in the film, I will know that LFL and Disney have run out of ideas for Star Wars.

kainee, Julius Vernon and vinsanity like this.
  6. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    He's dead.

7. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    There is a 100% chance he'll be in there... A 25% chance he'll be the central figure in the ST... JMHO

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Anakin maybe, but not Darth Vader. I don't know why people are thinking Vader will be in the sequels.

kainee and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Because he's a giant cash grab regardless of continuity?

10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    He's dead, Jim.

11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I believe he will be in the new movie just because he's Darth Vader (a cash cow). BUT, I hope that it's just in Luke's dreams, visions, etc. I can deal with that if that's all it is. Or something similar in tone to the Luke "fighting himself/fighting a vision of Vader" in the cave in ESB. It can be done right. I just hope it is.

kainee likes this.
  12. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I can say, with a straight face, that I will not see it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Any wrestling fans out there?

This would be Hulk Hogan coming out of retirement again. I don't want to see Darth Vader go down that road. There is no logic to it.

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'd say Ric Flair.

WOOOOOOOOO!!

15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Any of you attempting to support the idea that Vader would appear in the new films due to him being a "cash cow" are not presenting a very influential argument. At all. Star Wars (not Darth Vader) is certainly a cash cow, or in other words, "really well liked". Does every EU book have Vader in it? Does every Star Wars video game have Vader in it? Is he in the Clone Wars? Was in the prequels for more than 30 minutes?

Please, come up with some other reason, and then we'll talk.

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Funny thing...

Darth Vader (not Anakin) appeared in a vision to Cade Skywalker, descendent of Luke, 130+ years after ANH. (in the EU of course) The vision was meant to show what Cade could become if he continued to follow the dark path. If I recall, Anakin chose to face Cade 'as' Vader for this purpose. The EU itself proves the opposite, that Vader CAN appear in Anakin's place if they want him too badly enough, and that it does not need to be a tasteless resurrection. Taken to the extreme, one could even dedicate a full length duel in the vision if they 'really' wanna push the envelope and have Anakin "train" whomever.

Heck, I'd be all for a dual Vader/Akain force ghost vision. Despite the untold rage it will cause many, I'd find an aged Hayden Christensen reappearing as a ghost to be both amusing and appropriate to bridge the 3 trilogies. (Sorry Sebastian Shaw fans, but if we've already made the change in one trilogy, might as well go all the way with it.)

kainee likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He won't come back but his good twin brother Light Vapor might.

kainee likes this.
  18. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    So was Darth Maul. :)

Not saying I like the idea. (I hate it. As well as bringing Maul back.)

vinsanity likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Maul coming back outside of the movies is a different thing entirely. Plus he had the sort of "death" where you could have brought him back with tech like Greivous (Grevious had his entire body rebuilt and his brain shoved in a metal shell, Maul just had his legs put back on), Vader was electrocuted and had his body burned away which is harder to convincingly come back from.

I don't have a problem with a plot revolving around a plan to bring Vader back to life (like the Cult of Ragnos tried with the ancient Sith Lord) given how powerful he was, but not physical resurrection. If only to spare us from seeing Hayden again :p

20. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I actually like the idea of Darth Plagueis somehow being resurrected in Episode VII. This could lead into more revelations about both Palpatine and Vader . . . some events that happened that we didn't already know about. I don't think people would buy into the idea of Palpatine or Vader returning from the dead, but with Plagueis it might work.

kainee likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, that is nearly as ridiculous, given that it was not merely his legs that got cut off; he was chopped in half around the area of his upper hips, bowels and some vital organs would have been hacked apart. But as you say, they wouldn't be ridiculous enough to bring him back in the movies.

It would be a huge fail to bring Vader back for a number of reason, especially in polluting the symbolism at the end of ROTJ, where Luke cremates him. That should be a symbol of the end of Vader, the end of the Empire (as we know it) and thus the end of an era in the story; a passing of the Skywalker torch also. It fits nicely that Darth Vader was born by being burned, and was ended by being burned; there was a resounding finality to his death. Bringing him back in any form other than Anakin as a force ghost (briefly) would be a cheap ploy, I think the talented people hired for Epsiode 7 can do better than that. Don't make Anakin/Vader a major part of the story; time to move on.

minnishe, kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Darth Vader will not be seen in Episode VII, except maybe in a flashback (unlikely) or holocron (also unlikely) format. However, Darth Vader ceased to exist the moment he saved his son from Palpatine.

Anakin Skywalker... well I'm pretty sure there's a reason why Hayden was there for the re-shooting of the force ghost ending of ROTJ. Force ghost Anakin is coming...

kainee likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

"Your Vader's dead, son. Accept it."

24. Darth Lycan

Darth Lycan Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 28, 2013
    I agree with this. I think JJ will go in a new direction. If any appearance of DV was made it would be as a flashback imo, but I would welcome seeing Anakin Skywalker as a force ghost.

vinsanity likes this.
  25. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004