main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Release Date Delayed for Abrams???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by cdgodin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
  2. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    It would be a little disappointing, but I'd much rather have J.J. Abrams do it right than do it rushed.

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If they had to delay the release for a little while to GET Abrams, it is worth it.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  4. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Good. For some reason I want there to be a big of gap as possible between the prequels and this trilogy, you know, just to give the two a little.... space.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yeah, I saw this mentioned in the other thread.

Honestly, it would be disappointing, but if it meant a better film, then I say go for it.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    It wouldn't be surprising if that is the case. Honestly, if people are going to freak out over 1 year, they got issues.

I said before, that considering that Disney wants to get this right out of the gate. Plus, the somewhat tight production schedule needed to hit the 2015 date, I think Disney won't make any unnecessary forced perimeters for themeselves.

If it takes another year, it will take another year. Its not going to make much of a difference.

7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    JJ is not George Lucas. In other words, he doesn't have to be there approving all of the conceptual designs and such day in and day out like Lucas did. It is my understanding that Kathy will be doing that stuff (while being consulted by George) since she has effectively taken George's role in this process. She will be acting as George's voice. That is why he hand picked her. Yes, JJ will be involved too. But he won't have total control over all of those things like Lucas did for the first 6 movies.

I say that JJ can split time between post on ST and pre-production on SW while Kathy spearheads most of it. Once JJ's promotion tour of Star Trek is done once the premere hits, then he should be ready within say 2 months to start filming. How will that be so hard to accomplish? I think it can be done.

8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Meanwhile, the EU and probably SW in general bleed fans.
    Have you guys noticed that the last handful of books didn't get to the New York best seller's list.

Relying on Die hard fans like us just isn't enough any more.

9. K.J Lord

K.J Lord Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    old news. I don't think he would've signed on if he knew he couldn't make the deadline.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

[face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] I [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] AM [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] FREAKING [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] OUT!!!! [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    YOU NEED A NEW HOBBY:)

12. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I always thought 2015 was a tad ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anything until 2017. That would actually be quite fitting as it would be Star Wars' 40th anniversary (yikes that means I must be REALLY old!) As for SW bleeding fans by the release date, they'll come back in their droves. They haven't gone for ever. I've not read any post ROTJ EU, however, since the news of Ep7 broke. It's possible that many fans, like myself, regard it as a waste of time and money at the moment if there's a good chance that all of those books and stories could well be considered completely non-canon in the very near future.

Mata2010 and Episode Swag like this.
  13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I don't really buy this rumor. His schedule is pretty free now. Bad Robot has two upcoming series for next season on TV, but that does not require him to be on set supervising. Additionally he has no obligation to Star Trek XIII except it is being produced by Bad Robot, and the same goes for M.I. V.

Also this rumor assumes Abrams has not been aboard the project until last week... again I call bull on that. I suspect Abrams has been aboard for a couple of months, at least since Arndt was announced as screenwriter. Abrams is not just a "hired gun" who wants to shoot someone else's script, he will want some creative input in shaping the script and story. And given how the original announcement of the Disney acquisition/Episode VII was kept under wraps it would not surprise me at all that J.J. was Lucas and Kennedy's pick all along.

I suspect like Trek, the new Star Wars film will shoot two years before the scheduled release allowing for another year of post production. Abram's schedule is as open as it can be now so I highly doubt there will be a delay.

Yancy

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I think Phantom was originally scheduled for 1997/8. I'll wait a year for a better film and more importantly a better trilogy. I hope they get beyond 2nd and 3rd drafts for the screenplays for VIII and IX before principle photography on VII so they have a crystal clear idea of the who story ark and character development.

Padme501st likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like fishing but I don't get to do that as often as I would like. ;) In all seriousness, I was being a smart ass and am not at all concerned about this. I think JJ can make the 2015 date and if not I'll just have to find a new antidepressant. :p

El_Machete12 likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could've gotten me to do it. It would be out next year. I mean it wouldn't be any good most likely but still.

17. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    Yeah, this is where I read the "2017 and the 40th anniversary of A New Hope as a neat idea" at...

And just from a marketing standpoint, having Episode VII bow (check me out, I'm using Variety terminology) on May 25th, 2017 would be awesome. As opposed to 2015 being 10 years after Sith, and 2016 as not really being any nice round anniversary of anything.

(And yes, I know, some of you may say that none of that stopped Episode I. But just let me have my fun, okay.) :cool:

Anyway, and as ever, just fill up 2015 and 16 with a new animated series or live-action series (or both) to make up for not getting Episode VII out when you said you would.

Episode Swag likes this.
  18. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Well this is a tad dissapointing, but hey this could be for the best. We'll just have to wait and see.

19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He's not worth a year's delay. Bring him back for VIII.

If if turns out to be true, I'll see you all in 2014. There won't be a scrap of news until Summer '14.

LawJedi likes this.
  20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I just want a good film. I dont care if its delayed a year.

Mata2010 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It could be worse. It could be a direct-to-DVD experience instead.

Episode Swag likes this.
  22. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I really don't think it'll be delayed. I would prefer them wait to make a better film, but that's easier said than done.

23. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Then Memorial Day weekend would be more of a possibility, I think..

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A year delay would be fine. Not two years, though. That's too much of a delay. I still think Disney will try for a 2015 release. Abrams is known as a bit of a perfectionist, though. When his appointment was official, I thought there was a chance of this happening. Hopefully we'll still get it in 2015. That's the year that I've mentally prepared myself for. Of course, I can do the same for 2016. By the middle of June, you would think that JJ would be knee deep in Star Wars.

Episode Swag likes this.
  25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    This article and wording means nothing. All it means is that Abrams wants to get it around 2015, but if something crops up.. hey, it happens.