main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Release Date Delayed for Abrams???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by cdgodin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun fact: Abrams was supposed to do post-production on Super 8 while doing pre-production on Star Trek into Darkness to meet Trek 2's original May 2012 deadline! That did not quite work out.

Also, Abrams doesn't seem like the type who has, ever, directed something that was just "here's the script, you!, go shoot!". He's going to want to massage it a bit. That's just how he rolls. 2016 seems very likely to me, 2015 always seemed a bit ambitious even when first announced. Marvel can get a turnaround on it's movies much quicker because the trolley is already rolling. The Lucasfilm / Star Wars trolley barely even has wheels on it yet!

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really hope the release date isn't pushed back! I'd be so let down if it was.

Episode Swag and Echo-07 like this.
  3. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    This article tells ur really nothing. All is speculation. We just have to see what happens.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't know why you say that. Ten years is a long time. And some of us have waited since '83 for this to happen, and to think that they can keep stalling is like saying we haven't been waiting that long. I'm not getting any younger, and so I say bring it on in '15.

Anyway, the dude's got more than two years. That should be sufficient time for any director.

5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It would disastrous, IMO. All the momentum would be lost. They'd have to let it all die down then ramp up again. And it would be competing with Avatar 2.

6. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Sorry to say but J.J.is a hired director,he does NOT have full control over SW the way he does for ST.I'm sure there is already tons of work done on EP7 and further along then we know.Plus ST comes out in May so by June J.J.should be in full EP7 mode and I'm sure by the end of summer they will be filming.

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Gotta agree. You don't put a new SW movie on the shelf to pursue personal projects. Anyone who does that doesn't deserve the gig, period.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Agreed on the sentiment, but I don't get the impression he's trying to slip in a Super 8 or The Prestige in between big projects. I think he just wants Trek to wind down completely so he can give his heart to Wars. Which I agree, is why he is a maddening choice.

9. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Waiting a year would make sense with the 2 year turn around and the planned films that Disney have in the Summer of 2015. it would give Avengers 2 Star Wars VII and Pirates 5 more breathing space. I like the idea of 2017 but I don't want to wait that long. In terms of secrecy then Abrams is surely the ideal choice.

10. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    If I had a choice of

1. It's rushed and finished in 2015 and is a B/C (or worse) movie.

or

2. It's done right and released a year later and it's an A movie....

I'll take number two every time.

dolphin likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    To be perfectly fair, rushed schedule does not equal a bad product. Aliens! Wrath of Khan! X-Men First Class! They were under the pinch and they turned out pretty okay. (not talking about the length between the movies but both of those flicks were pretty much ran towards the door once the date was set and the ball was rolling)

LawJedi likes this.
  12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It's not gonna happen for one reason -- M O N E Y! To the tune of $4 billion. Investors sneed to see a profit and Disney already stated in the buyout pprwk that investors wouldn't see a return until 2015. They'd have hell to pay to them even before the fans.

That said, I could see a Christmas of 2015 release date, which might be a good compromise for everyone as Ep 7 likely would have zero competetion hence SMASHING all records.

It would slightly sting NOT having our traditional May spot.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars movie released at Christmas would be odd. I'd get over it in about 3 seconds. Maybe 2.

eht13, Episode Swag and Krueger like this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Me too, as long as it's Christmas 2015! LOL

Recall though that Star Wars was originally slated to be released in Christmas of 1976 but was moved back to the following May.

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Seriously, if I'm watching Return of the Jedi 3D in 2014, I'd better damn well be seeing a trailer for Episode 7. It's my price of admission for having to wear those stupid glasses.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I still think they'd go for summer, because a Christmas release doesn't actually mean profits in 2015. The bulk of the profits would be 2016, which would not make shareholders happy.

Episode Swag and Echo-07 like this.
  17. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't want them to rush it, but the sooner it's released, the better. I'm ready for some new Star Wars. The Clone Wars cartoon has helped my craving a little bit, but I still want more

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh I don't know, the upside to Christmas is that you can Cameron that **** and just suck up money all the way through late winter. Less competition.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Personally, I agree with those who are saying they don't mind a delay to get it right, but I also think that it looks bad outwardly for Disney to make the epic announcement of an ST only to announce it's delay not too long after.

Get it right, yes, but maybe they should have pinned certain things down before they announced anything.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but it wouldn't really be keeping their promise about seeing a return on the investment in 2015 if it was only the last 2 weeks of 2015. I could see investors being perturbed by that. :)

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, if they weren't sure about the ability to make that deadline, then they should have waited on the announcement. Anyway, this is still speculation. No one has said they can't make the date.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    There's no "rush" unless JJA's ego pushes this commitment to the side. The guy's had something like 2 tv series canceled since ST2009. What's he got going that's more important? Start this summer & there's no "rush".

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah is disappointing but lets be honest it was to be expected....2015 is to crowded at the moment & does Disney really want to compete with themselves....remember Ep1 was originally scheduled for 1998 & also Star Trek 2 was originally scheduled for 2012 but Abrams wanted more time to get it right....so I'm sorry people pencil in May 2016 as the release date for Ep7 .

24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Indeed.

They should have said 2016 at the start and looked like superheroes 3 months later and say "Hey, we moved it up to 2015!!"

25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Making money is making money. As long as your profits beat your trailing twelve months who cares?

LunarMoth likes this.