main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Politics and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Poli-Sci Jedi, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poli-Sci Jedi

Poli-Sci Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to these threads, but thought I'd help kickstart a new line of discussion. I'm interested in the politics of Star Wars. I have a blog where I post analysis of political issues in the saga using political science research. Feel free to check it out at http://poliscijedi.blogspot.com

Hopefully, this thread can be a place where others interested in this topic can share there thoughts. Feel free to comment on my Facebook page too!

2. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I viewed your blog page and since I do not have face book I might as well type up my message here. A topic I saw on your blog was about Leia being a political hero, to be honest she is an action hero in my opinion.

Poli-Sci Jedi likes this.
  3. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    I think she can be both!

4. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Never really thought of it. I kind of see her as both as well. Although i do see her as an action hero more than a political hero.

5. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013

Yeah, she's probably more an action hero, but on the other hand in the Original Trilogy she's the only political hero. In other words, Luke and Han can both shoot blasters and fly ships, but only Leia can argue in the Senate or stare down Moff Tarkin.

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Politicians are "the voice for the people regardless of race, prejudice or privilege"

so you can't really say Luke or Han can't argue in the senate because we didn't see the senate in the OT

Leia on the other hand was a princess

so was she a politician in a general sense of the word?

that is the question

benknobi1 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  7. Adirondackjedi27

Adirondackjedi27 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2013
    Well I can honestly say that politics don't belong in star Wars. The politics is a small part of the bigger picture. We saw what the politics is like in Episodes 1, 2 and 3. Just like the politics of the real world: greedy sentators and politicians.

8. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    Although I think that's the point, that Lucas wanted to show that politicians in Star Wars are greedy and lazy. The question is whether politicians can redeem themselves in the sequels ;)

9. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Very true. Episode 1 2 3 was loaded with politics compared to 4 5 and 6.

10. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Like the website. Even as a kid I always though the storm troopers in star wars had to be an idea borrowed from the SS.

11. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks. Roberto, I actually have a post on my blog coming up about that exact issue. I discuss an article by Jeffrey Hart about imagery in Star Wars, including the use of Nazi colors and outfits. Keep an eye out for it on my Facebook page - it should be out in early February.

12. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    Question for the thread: In the OT, Lucas took a romantic view of politics, i.e., democracy was good and the totalitarian empire was evil. In the prequels, Lucas took a much more ambiguous view, i.e., democracy could become corrupt and the line between democracy and dictatorship (or good and evil) was much narrower. In the Sequels, do you think Abrams will try to recapture the innocence and youth of the OT or try to reflect modern American politics like the PT, or some happy compromise in between?

I feel like the OT style towards politics would make the most commercial sense and is the type of storytelling JJ Abrams seems to like based on Star Trek and Super 8. However, is such an idealized view of good and evil relevant in America in 2015?

13. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope he will embrace a happy medium, more leaning towards the "true" face of politics. The OT is far too focussed on good versus evil, and while it does add that element of innocence and traditionalism within the story, governments are not black and white like they are portrayed.

While the Rebellion were "freedom fighters" and had high morale, and all their actions were seen as good, It's not realistic. Neither is the negativity surrounding the Empire. They both should have their negative sides and positives as well. Though tyrannical Emperors and Grand Moffs are a part of the picture, a great deal of loyal and hardworking men and women fought for the Empire as well. Not all the planetary governors were rich bureaucrats, even if some of them were. I'm sure some of the Rebellion was the same. Generals who merely craved power they couldn't gain in the Empire, etc.

The good thing about the prequels in this sense was they also had politics on display, contrasting the focus on the battle of good versus evil with little politics within the OT. I enjoyed this a great deal. It gives us a better view of the galaxy, and is more realistic.

Realism is key to me.

I also feel the scenes need to be more potent and have an impact in the ST. Dialogue should be tightened up, imagery and dramatic music should be used to intensify these scenes and intrigue the audience.

Poli-Sci Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.