main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Release Date Delayed for Abrams???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by cdgodin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Perhaps. It would seem that a Xmas release of Star Wars, with all of the associated video games, toys, beach blankets and Burger King cups could be a huge return on investment. Seriously, calculate the Star Wars movie merch rollout, and multiply it to the power of CHRI$TMA$, and you might have a nuclear explosion of money. :D

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but if you have the summer tentpole you would still get the christmas market and maybe have dvd/blu-ray to go with it.

Julius Vernon and LawJedi like this.
  3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I think that Disney will overlook 2015, see it's already saturated, and hit it up for 2016. Then subsequent every two years movie releases after that.

UNLESS, the delay would be for back-to-back shoots. Then I can easily understand that movement.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Gahhhhh, your logic is sound, Master Echo! ^:)^

Still, it would be fascinating to see a Xmas Star Wars merch bomb. LOTR, Avatar, and Harry Potter's merchandising campaigns were nothing compared to the power of Star Wars.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Star Wars fears no saturation. If you only knew the POWER of the franchise. :)

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    May 2016 makes more sense.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  8. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I think the delay rumor is just bull so that stalkers and paparazzi think that nothing is going on and at least the team making the film will have less creepy people trying to chase them. The biggest thing here as i have said in another thread is pre and post production. I really think that pre production is far more along than people would have been led to believe. The shooting does not take that long usually. its the post that takes longer. FX shots have to be done. But Disney has a ton upon ton of resources they can dig into to meet a schedule. I am sure they will outsource stuff that ILM cannot do in time. JJ has got Bad robot and ILM to already work with. Plus Disney can give them more cash to outsource like i said.

They are gonna try to pull a blue harvest on us for sure. I dont think this rumours hold much weight until confirmed. I also think that the hype is more positive than on the PT since people do not know what will happen they are pretty hyped up and willing to want to see this done a.s.a.p.

I do hope that they shoot some of this in Canada. there is a lot of good shooting studios that can dish out great stuff...

9. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    I would think one reason would be having first choice of release dates.

Right now Avengers 2 is set for May 1st, 2015. And Pirates 5 is July 10th, I believe. So Star Wars can have June 2015. But now you have all three of the first big summer movie months of 2015 with Disney movies competing against one another.

If you wait until 2016 though, Star Wars can have it's traditional Memorial Day weekend open without having to step on Avengers 2's box office, and affecting another Disney movie's take.

So that's one reason.

10. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    People. Right now there's 2 years and 3 months before any possible release date (May). Pre-production started on this way before this was announced in terms of the planets, worlds and creatures/characters and costumes.

Typically when these things are announced, they're further along in the process then they let on.

JJ Abrams is only making Episode 7. The production time would probably be a couple of months at the most. If they shoot this year, and finish, which they will, there will be still a year, at the very least for post production.

Episode Swag likes this.
  11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sure they considered a lot of possibilities. I don't think they just threw the 2015 date out there out of nothing. They set that date for a reason. Granted, it could be pushed back, but I think they are aware of all the movies coming out that year.

Episode Swag likes this.
  12. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Now come on. I have not read a single comment in this thread which could explain or convince me that pushing back SW7 would be a good idea.

The biggest news in the movie business in 2012 was the Disney-Lucasilm deal + SW7 in 2015. The impact of this news are still felt and will for months to come. 2015 is great for the fans, of course, but really important from a business point of view. KK is a pro and when she said that a new SW movie would be released, she knew that she could get it done in time.

Changing the schedule, only because of JJ, would have a negative impact on the SW buzz currently running in most moviegoers veins. "Delayed, troubles brewing in the production. Story is not that great and they need to go back to the drawing board. JJ came in with his own ideas. Bla bla" will come to mind for most of us.

They do not need one more year to write E7. It's not Tolstoy's War and Peace, it's SW. Arndt has been working on a script since October, maybe more. Kasdan and JJ will have a crack at it. Massive treatments from Lucas are available and KK will not mess with that. The story is pretty much set in stone, so we are talking about writing scenes that will lead to a great shootable script.

I'm also sure that there's a Doug Chiang kind of guy who has been drawing and designing SW7 related stuff since last summer (around the time Lucas told Fisher and Hamill that the ST would be made).

I'm also pretty sure that the big three are not locked yet but have been contacted about SW7. JJ will fill out the new roles, but I'm pretty sure that KK met the big three individually and we know that she can be really persuasive (she got her man, JJ).

You push back all this ? Disney big announcement look like a false start and you may lose one of the big three. If you can't crack a SW7 screenplay in 10 months or so with all the great minds involved, I say that the ST may have some problem that can't be overcome.

Why I'm only talking about the story ? Because it's the only thing that should matter, not JJ agenda. I love JJ, but if is agenda can't meet Disney deadlines, you need to move on. JJ is great, but he's not the only great director available.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I was promised a SW7 movie in 2015 and a delayed one will be feel like a red flag for me. I'm also not getting any younger and I want to see the ST during my lifetime.

BTW, Disney would love to have Avengers 2, SW7, a new pixar movie and POTC5 to own summer 2015.

It would be the greatest, business wise, statement ever done by a studio.

13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I dont think antone said it was a good idea, but rather if they had to choose between rushing and messing it up or taking more time and doing it right, they would take the later.

I agree, and said so, that it would look bad for Disney to announce a delay after such HUGE news.

14. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I would also bet that the script is done largely. I'm sure there will be changes here or there, and rewrites like any other production, but there's just no way in hell that they will delay this film.

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If you delay it, people are going to automatically assume the worst. "The script sucked, the movie was slow, etc."

I don't think people realize how far Episode VII might be in pre-production. I think it's quite clear the scripts for VII is mostly done, as well as rounds of concept art and casting auditions in secret for all we know.

16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Quoting a Star Warsism .... "NOOOOOOOOO!"

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  17. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    When did we hear episode 1 was coming? 1993 or around that time? I have no problem waiting an extra year for episode VII but I hope that extra wait is worth it.

18. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    It could get pushed back, you'd think that they would release that news as early as possible to avoid the negative press of a delay once production has started.

But, when you pay as much as Disney did you'd want to start to recoup that investment as quickly as possible?

Julius Vernon likes this.
  19. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    It's true that people do not say it's "a good idea", but they seem to accept the fact that the movie could be delayed.

Yes, if it's the case, I will accept it.

But I won't like the behind the scenes reasons for it.

When a production is delayed, it's never for good reasons.

The script will be as good in one year. I doesn't take 2 years to work out a script like that. If so, I'm wondering about the quality of George's treatments.

The movie will be about 2:30 minutes, with a shootable script of a 3:00 movies.

Arndt is working full time on this and has not been seen anywhere for a while. He must be in a cabin in the wood somewhere, having the task of writing a new SW movie.

It must be daunting for him, but if I was working full time on this with George Lucas himself on my speed dial, I would be able to crack this in 10 months.

I love JJ's Star Trek. He pushed back the sequel to work on the story. The sequel look as much interesting, but I don't think people will say "wow, JJ was right to delayed the movie. The story is gold. I see Oscars everywhere"

Star Trek into the Darkness looks like a good movie, but it doesn't look like it will reinvent the wheels.

And my only concern is the story, not JJ's agenda.

20. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I was literally about to write a post about the time value of money when I saw your post. I would be shocked if it's pushed back for this very reason. But I agree, looking at the summer slate, Christmas might be it, which works for me (though I agree, not having May would be very odd).

21. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't want the film to be rushed but he has 2 and a half years to get this done. That should be enough time. So get to work J.J. and get this thing out in the summer of 15. If its not out in 2015 i swear to god I will....do nothing and see it when it comes out.

22. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    The one thing that the original Star Wars movie had was lots of preparation before any shooting was done.

- According to the Making of Star Wars by J.W. Rinzler, Lucas began conceptualizing the ideas and the writing of The Star Wars around 1973, so four years before the movie would premiere.

- From 1973 to 1974 Lucas wrote...

- Then in 1975 McQuarrie was brought in, ILM was being started with early ship models being assembled, storyboard were being created, locations and studios were being scouted ... all preparation, all pre-production, two years before the premiere.

- This preparation went on into early 1976 until around March when, I believe, shooting began, one year before the premiere. With ILM work added to the movie and editing and sound work finishing the movie in late 76' and early 77'.

- Then in 1977 you get a movie that is an instant hit, when it was shot only a year before, but prepared four years earlier.

I think all that preparation help with ANH. ;) And so Star Wars Episode VII doesn't have to shoot by this summer, perhaps by the fall, or winter instead. In fact nobody has said when they would start shooting. Perhaps there are concerns that the shooting process is where the rush is, but it's probably otherwise with the pre-production phase. This new Star Wars movie has been getting prepared since Lucas wrote those treatments, oh -- who knows when!? And the "announcement days" for the news we're getting are not necessarily the same days people are getting hired to work on the movie. This stuff is getting prepared way before hand.

So in other words, 2015 looks like a good deal... but they may delay for more preparation. :p

23. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I have thought the 2015 release date is a bit unrealistic...I can see 2016 or 2017. Which is fine with me, I'd rather see something awesome than something rushed

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wouldn't it suck if it came out January of 2016? It won't happen of course but still.

25. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    unrealistic ??

Do you really think that pushing the movie back will make it better ? It's all about JJ's schedule, which is a poor excuse.

I'm still rooting for JJ, I like him very much.

But, do you really think that they only started working on this since this October ?

If Lucas spoke with Hamill and Fisher about the sequels last summer, it's because he had already started working on them. From what I've heard, people have been working on E7 since last July, preliminary stuff

The script is being written as we speak and has been for more than 5 months.

Designs have been created, the big three certainly knows more about the story than they want us to believe.

JJ can work out the script with Kasdan and Arndt next summer and then start shooting in the Fall ....of 2013.

The great producer Kathleen Kennedy did multiple interviews talking about 2015. She has more experience in that field than JJ for sure.

If things changes, I will not say it's for the better or the worse, but it's only because of JJ's schedule.

The guy likes to be everywhere, working on multiple projects.

Unfortunately, a Star Wars movie doesn't work like that.

Imagine, we were 6 months from casting news and 10-12 from a teaser.

Now, we are talking years.