main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    4 versions? Good lord. I might try to find the Rose version and the others as well at some point to see how they all compare because I'm insane like that.
    I've only ever read Romeo and Juliet back to back and that was in a day for 9th grade english. I might have read it three times in a day if I could have but was drained after the 2nd time. The next closest would be ROTS novelization or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a week or two apart.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm partial to Fahnestock and McAfee's update of Wilbour, myself. A general pox on Denny, regardless - I continue to be annoyed that he's become the canonical high school version.

I'm currently over-committed on my pleasure reading, and consequently I'm juggling Autobiography by Bertrand Russell (It's an autobiography. By Bertrand Russell. Aside from his impeccable knack for self-examination and general frankness it's exactly what you'd expect.), Romance of the Three Kingdoms probably by Luo Guanzhong tr. Moss Roberts (I don't always read translations of classic Chinese novels, but when I do, I prefer ones done by naturalized citizens of the People's Republic that I'm not actually supposed to be able to buy stateside. Stay thirsty my friends.), The Invisibles Omnibus by Grant Morrison (Comics are books insofar as I'm concerned, particularly when they're over 1000 pages long.), Exile and the Kingdom by Albert Camus (Thankfully a collection of short stories, so it's good for taking a short break from studies.), and then I just added Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones because apparently I have no intentions of actually fulfilling my promise to myself to reread Finnegan's Wake until 2018.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  3. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Currently rereading CS Friedman's The Coldfire trilogy, which remains one of the very best fantasy series I have ever read. Love the characters, but more importantly I love how Friedman explores the relationship between faith and science.

As for Les Miserables, I have decided to wait until the Easter holiday before I read volume 2 precisely because I want to enjoy the incredibly detailed narrative. There's so much stuff to digest and think about.

Oh yeah, somewhere between here and Easter I am hoping to finish the Wheel of Time reread.

Jedi Knight Fett and NYCitygurl like this.
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Geez, ramza :p

I'm currently working on The Shadow Rising (WoT #4).

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm halfway through A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan.

The book I'm bringing to/reading at work now is The Edge of the Earth by Christina Schwartz. So far, it seems a bit "Titanic" like, with the past-tense storytelling.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Just got the new Modesitt novel in the Imager's Portfolio, Imager's Battalion. That'll take precedence until I finish.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  7. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    I liked the Waterloo section. It had the glory of the cuirassiers mixed with a very horrifying description of war. Some parts still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The well? Man! The 1970 movie, Waterloo follows the Hugo description pretty close, I think.

Unabridged, baby! That's how I roll!

Rogue1-and-a-half and NYCitygurl like this.
  8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    AFter I finish this WoT reread, I need to get back to Modesitt. I interrupted my poorly timed read of the Recluse series for WoT 8-} (I probably needed a break, but now I miss it.)

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That's what, this summer, Nat? ;)

I have a chronological read of the Recluce series on the docket.. something I don't recommend for first-time readers but it should be interesting. Been a while (and several books published) since I did that last. Speaking of which, he has confirmed there is another Recluce book in the works, but hasn't said when/where it'll be set. It'll be a little while yet for that, though, got two more Imager books to get out first.

Only about a hundred pages into Imager's Battalion, but so far it's living up to expectations.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull.

Amazing.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a very fun series. :D

I have roughly a dozen of those books....

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I will have you know that I'm speeding through WoT now. Speeding.

So yeah, probably this summer :p

In a coupe years, I want to re-read Recluse in chronological order to see how the experience changes. I'm definitely not a fan of all the books; some I slog through, others I love.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Sometime down the road you should try the Imager series as well.

16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'The House of the Spirits'

17. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Fate of the Jedi: Omen

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Odd Apocalypse - Dean Koontz

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That's why I said "Sometime down the road" :p

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Reading Bread Givers for my Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Lit. class. Very interesting portrayal of a Jewish family growing up in America in the early days of the 20th century. The father character who is a rabbi is a complete monster to the family in my opinion.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I read that book for my history class a couple of semesters ago. That was a good book. I did not like the father either.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah it's well written and is fairly easy to get through. The father is making me angry though. I'm glad she got out of there.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. How far are you?