main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sam Witwer "Karen Traviss, She Didn't Get Everything Right"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Robimus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lolwut?

The clones have just turned on them, and their first thought wouldn't be the official Order that requires the clones to turn on them?

And it doesn't even have to be their first thought, but the thought does have to come to them.

When did I say it was a singular plan?

It doesn't have to be.

The real reason for calling it "Order 66" is because of the number 666.

Nice trolling.

Traviss, but I specifically set out to avoid saying "TRAVISS SUCKS". I was trying to stick to the subject itself, not the creator.

There's hardly anything, if anything at all, that suggests that Order 66 was an official law, and plenty of stuff that suggests otherwise. So how is it Lucas' fault that KT came up with something unsupported in the movie?

And since Witwer is coming out to say this, it's possible he heard it straight from Lucas and Filoni, and perhaps is giving us a clue as to how Order 66 will go down in TCW. He's still a tool, though.

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Witwer outright confirms that the Order 66 angle comes from Lucas/Filoni.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I found the guttural screaming to be one of the more convincing segments of his performance. Not liking the sound of it is one thing (I don't particularly like the sound of his voice itself), but it's in no way poorly performed.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I hate to nitpick, but no one questioned Order 66 in LoE. The clone that received it ordered other clones who were with the Jedi to kill the Jedi. He never told them it was because of Order 66, or even an order from Palpatine, which is why they called bull**** and refused to carry out his orders.

Anyway, I think it's cool that Witwer knows what he's talking about. He's shown evidence of this in tha past talking about Maul, such as his use of the Sith Code. Still, it seems like he's making an inference about the Order that may or may not hold up if and when TCW addresses it.

5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Honestly, I like Sam Witwer. I liked him as Galen Marek/Starkiller, I liked him as Doomsday on Smallville, I liked him as the Son, and I still like him as Maul. And I can respect his interpretation of how things went down in Revenge of the Sith when it comes to the mechanics of Order 66. The "It will be done, My Lord" response is undeniably an oddity that raises some questions, and a good many people to this day believe as he apparently does.

But the thing is, way back when Revenge of the Sith was released, it was Lucas that went on record to clarify that Order 66 wasn't a behaviorally-conditioned trigger phrase. His position on the subject was pretty clear: Order 66 is a contingency order, not brainwashing. Luceno picked up on that in Dark Lord, to good effect in my opinion, and Traviss later codified it in her Republic Commando novels, with equally engaging results in character struggle. They can hardly be blamed for taking up the stance of the man who is supposed to know best, who created the concept in the first place.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I suspect this one may be controversial, but I even thought Witwer did a very fair job as Palpatine. I actually preferred him over Ian Abercrombie (but again, it being TCW, I'm honestly thinking bad direction would have contributed to some of Abercrombie's meh performances, since almost everyone comes off pretty badly in TCW)

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Then why not call it Order 666 ?

Who am I trolling exactly? Clearly Palpatine doesn't like the Jedi so why not use a derogatory term for his order :p

My point being that he could have called it a lot of different things that are not numbered and thus avoid a lot of the debate. I think we are just going to have to disagree on this one CT.

GGrievous likes this.
  8. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm sure what you say is true, but one way or another they didn't follow orders. I'm pretty sure Palpatine's plot didn't hinge upon him having to persoanlly give an order to everyone of the millions of clones in the GAR himself.

9. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    What are you talking about? Ian Abercrombie still voices Palpatine, even though he passed away. This next episode, a massive episode with Palpatine in a huge role apparently, is his swan song.

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Witwer voiced Palpatine in The Force Unleashed.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, at issue here is the IU reason, not why Lucas called it that - it's entirely possible that 66 was chosen for its RL connotations, but those have got nothing to do with the GFFA.

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Sam Witwer, how much did Filoni pay you to say all of that?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Like Mario Lemieux's jersey number? :p

I'm not familiar with what real life connatation the number 66 has. Other than Mario's jersey number that is.

14. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    You're joking! I didn't know that. I personally like Abercrombie better (though Ian McDiarmid takes the big cake) but I see where you are coming from.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Nope, I was really surprised too :). His take on it, for anyone who might not remember. Like I said, I think he did a very good job with it. I personally wouldn't mind if he took over Palpatine's role in TCW (though I'm curious if he could do a good Chancellor Palpatine).

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll let Filoni have his fun if he does show "brainwashed clones." Nope, they're following orders.

As for Witwer, I really, really dislike him as a voice actor due to the fact that he sounds like a whinny Starkiller all the time (except Palpatine).

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Honestly, I like Traviss' idea of Order 66 being just one of many contingency orders. An innocuous "what if" directive that makes a lot of sense as a reaction to the Separatists' collection of rogue Jedi (Dooku, Bulq, et al.) So I partially disagree with Witwer here.

But I do acknowledge that the "Yes, my lord"s were never adequately explained...

Also, as a reminder, please do not make this discussion into yet another Traviss trainwreck thread. No author or voice actor or TCW creator bashing, etc, etc. See the second post for a good example of what *not* to do.

18. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I would have thought this would have been quite obvious?
    Either the Jedi knew about it and assumed it was irrelevent, just a "contingency", or they didn't about it, which would also be possible, depending on how secretive the clones orders were. But i would assume the former.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's two digits away from Executive Order 9066, which mandated the use of internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II.

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats interesting. Maybe he was looking at that.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, attacking Sam Witwer's acting in response to the OP is both petty and irrelevant.

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, I suppose I should amend that to be "no author or voice actor bashing".

rumsmuggler and TrakNar like this.
  23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    (...1 Million clones...) Yeah, i see what you mean.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I prefer the original.

[​IMG]

Zeta1127, RC-1991 and GGrievous like this.