main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    MS,

You have graduated? CONGRATS! "Impressive."

Oh and a job too? "Most impressive." I'm quite serious, it's a nasty job market for graduates over here, suspect the US is similar.

Changing tack, Abrams is directing Star Wars? How can I pout this? Let's see, ah yes:

[face_laugh] Time to drop by the ep 7 forum and enjoy the fireworks!
    [face_dancing]I like the news!
    =D= A seriously ballsy move that should be applauded.

I loved Abrams' Trek, it was both reinvention and homage, new and old - there's no reason why he can't do the same, in totally different fashion, for Wars and, let's face it, after the damage inflicted by the most wooden couple ever - Anakin/Padme - Wars needs all the boost it can get. Everyone saw the PT because they wanted to see how it set up OT, how it all worked out but the PT took a lot of liberties with people's trust and something radical is needed to repair that, this qualifies.

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :
    I think what concerns me the most though is that this *is* an injury that involves Luke's Force presence, and thus, likely, his Force abilities. If it was a physical injury/disability, he would probably be able to circumvent it with his Force gifts. But this being a Force injury, it seems to me it *would* affect Luke's ability to use the Force in some way. :(:mad:

Yes, and a lot of people on the Episode VII board were hoping the rumors weren't true. Now that it has been confirmed, more seem to be okay with it. I'll say that I think Abrams is a good choice. I never saw LOST, but I did enjoy his Star Trek movie. Now I just hope they'll tell us soon whether or not the Big Three will be in the film, and where in the timeline the film will take place. I'm also dying to know whether the EU will be overwritten or not. Either way, I hope we get to see Luke in another SW film... or MORE than one!

kataja :Ok, I went back and found what Denning said about that Force wound of Luke's:

But he also said that the wound is "substantial" and that it's not just physical. Plus, he says that part of Luke's Force presence is missing. That really can't be good for a Force user! Notice Denning also says that this "weakness" "MUST" be part of his arc in future stories. That doesn't bode well either. That implies that this *is* serious, and that it's likely permanent. :(

instantdeath:
    Sadly, I don't remember it ever being used again later. Even Luke and Mara's Force bond wasn't utilized very much, which I found to be particularly disappointing.

More tomorrow....

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    well trek in general have a history of that especially with the Q

4. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    Yes, I think Abrams is a good choice too. I liked Star Trek. I hope Luke will be in the film and we can see how Abrams handles the character.

And I REALLY hope that Luke gets the respect that he deserves in the ST. I hope we'll find that he *has* established a flourishing, effective, successful, and RESPECTED Jedi Order. I really, REALLY want Luke to have a great Legacy!

I agree. I also wish that we would have gotten more stories with Luke and Leia working together.

I think he could have at least included it in a thought or comment by Leia in a later book, something along the lines of "Thank goodness my vision never came to pass," or just, "I don't know how I could ever have been even slightly worried that Luke might fall to the dark side."

I'm not sure that I agree with that.... In my opinion, he didn't need to include that dark vision of Luke in TG in the first place, but once he did, it should have been his responsibility to acknowledge that Luke was never dark.

Thanks! The feeling is mutual! I really enjoy discussing Luke with you even if we don't always agree!

Skaddix :
    Why don't you expect Luke to perform any amazing Force feats in the ST?

Jedi Ben :
    I like the news too. Since it became official, there seem to be fewer naysayers.

I think you're right about this.

All I can say is that I definitely hope that the ST will have more of the OT feel than the PT feel.

5. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh I expect impressive feats but some stuff in the EU I just don't see happening.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm honestly okay at this point with having a separate continuity. I would prefer it all to be one... but given the direction the post-NJO timeline took, I don't mind viewing this as a "second chance". I would personally love it if the NJO was left in place, but if not, I'd be okay with having the movies do their thing and the books do theirs. The problem is, of course, that the books will inevitably follow the books, so if we're not careful we could easily have a mess.

But I'm not worry about it, or even thinking about it really, until we get more news.

7. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Sure I would love a second chance as well but with Del Rey in charge? Yeah no thanks. Still I am sure whoever is in charge of writing novels will shift over to the ST Universe. They will have lots of time.

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm talking about the movies being the "second chance"; only thing Del Ray will have to do with it is the tie-ins.

9. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    and while Trek has demonstrated that more in both the show and the movies, I would argue that the Star Wars films implicate extremely powerful feats("The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force" ) while the EU(all mediums, Clone Wars Micro series, TCW(The Ones), TFU, etc) has display that time and again. It could be in the cards and it would follow up on seeing a Skywalker in his prime.

Thank you good sir, you'll find out I'm full of surprises:p It's still rough by us over here, my field is extremely competitive with job hunting and I had no guarantee after school that I would find a job. I'm very thankful to have one.

It's pretty much a dream team, of Abrams, Arndt, and Kasdan. The only way it would get better is if Joss Whedon or Brad Bird are involve in some way.

I vaguely remember the scene, that was when Luke was hiding from the enemy right ?

very few books reference their bond, Mindor and SotE are the only ones that come to mind.

lol, ironically I'm about to buy the Lego Batman 2 game as its the best Superman game out there.

thank you :)

now if we can get a synopsis. We now know the director and the writers are full of talent, next question is how will Luke be involve in the new trilogy ? [face_thinking]

again the only books I can think of are SotE and Mindor. Maybe TNR and CoPL

you two are adorable [face_laugh]

Thanks Child, yup I'm becoming an adult.......spooky isn't it ? :p In seriousness thank you, I'm glad to move on from school and actually work in the field.

Maybe they can still do it, perhaps not with visiting other Force sects but a book along the lines of s Skywalker family book.

you two are an example of a civilized argument [face_peace]

it's vague and left rather ambiguous though, all we know is he was still recovering by the wedding.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Star Wars fans are fickle people. Now we just need details on what you mention above..... o well I can wait:cool:

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Agreed, agreed, and - agreed!!!

And AGREED!

I don't think it would have worked out - then, that's just me.

[:D]

Then let's hope they can work together too!

I'm pretty sure it's after he's been attacked first time by the Noghri.

Definitely next question! And not a minute too soon! [face_not_talking]

Ah, yes, SOTE had that too, I'd quite forgotten! [face_thinking] And there, it's straight in line from ESB - nice, actually. :) I really liked how it was used in Mindor - not too much, not too little. The other two I have no memoery of. Could it be becasue it's very little they use it?

Aww, thank you! Maybe we are inspired by others on this therad ;)

Heh heh - Child - if we're ever to meet in RL we should make sure to be completely uncivilized - maybe a mudfight? :p

Heard. I think we shouldn't jump at shadows. Let's see how thing develop.

And right you are. I think it's the same in all fandoms, though. Well, not football, 'cos there you live and die with your team - but apart from that...

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: the job

Now you've got it, all you have to do keep it but I've found that's easier than getting through the process - the one piece of advice, you can go further by working with than against people (it takes far less effort) and being diplomatic does not translate to being a walkover. The other thing? Impress the hell out of people and they'll generally reciprocate.

re: films

Can't have Whedon, he's on Avengers 2! I'm convinced, utterly, that this team will pull a blinder of a move that is very, very effective yet could not be worked out. Think Legacy's Morrigan Corde revelation and then amp it by a gazillion, then imagine the impact on an already volatile internet! Hmm, a visual aid would help? OK, fine, then:

[​IMG]

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You could fight with those super expensive glass lightsabers. I had one of those as a kid... they hurt.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'll do by best to apply these principles, also to remain ethical.

lol, True I'm being greedy, now we live in a world where Whedon is working on Avengers and Abrams on Star Wars for the same company......geek sigh, time to enjoy the moment :)

oh you mean one of the first instances we see him throw his saber at the Noghiri ? it has been a while since I read those books.

Both the former two have good examples, DE also has much of their Force bond.....their defining moment of their bond in a lot of ways. I forgot about the other two.

be good role models...do Luke proud.

tsk tsk apprentice [face_not_talking] o and please finish TUF.

What do you speculate will happen ?

I think we're all jaded in some ways.....comes with the territory :p

14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Skaddix:
    Can you give some examples of what you think Luke has done in the EU that he and other Jedi won't do in the films?

instantdeath:
    I pretty much agree with you about the new film perhaps being a second chance at a better future for the characters and the galaxy itself. I would really like to see them keep much of the EU up to and including SQ. But I wouldn't shed any tears at all if the NJO, DN, LotF, and FotJ were over-written by the ST.

I think we already have a mess in the current EU, starting with the NJO. But I suppose things could get even worse...

I'm not even sure if Del Rey would get the tie-ins if Disney wants to use its own publishing group.

MasterSkywalker86:
    That's a good point. It made sense that young Luke wouldn't have displayed any amazing feats by the time of RotJ. However, I *was* surprised that we didn't get to see all that many "amazing feats" in the Prequel trilogy either, and there were plenty of full Jedi knights who should have been capable of powerful Force feats. Though, as you say, it would be great to see a Skywalker in his prime.

That *is* the big question, isn't it?

Yes, I still would like to see that. I miss Mara SO much, and I would love to see all of the Skywalkers interacting with one another. We never really got to see much of that.

Why, thanks, MS!

Luke seemed pretty pitiful yet at that point. I didn't like it at all. :( Shouldn't Luke have been able to use his Force powers to heal himself by then?

kataja:
    Yay! I'm glad we agree about that, though I figured you would probably agree. ;)

Yep! We have a good group of regulars here! I wish more people would post here in SOS though. And I really miss Dewback Rancher.

Jedi Ben:
    LOL! I do hope you're right! It would be wonderful to have a great film with a LOT of surprises!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Good for you, MS! As you said, "Be a good role model... do Luke proud!

Especially since I feel we've been hit with annoying book after book, and it gets hard to believe that we'll get a good one in the future.... But I certainly DO hope that we do!

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I had a typo there. I meant to say that if the "books follow the new movies", not "if the books follow the books". I'd agree that the post-NJO timeline is a mess in a storytelling sense, but I mean that we could easily have a continuity mess if the EU begins to follow the ST.

If that has to happen, I suppose the best solution would be to write an "ending" to this iteration of Luke, Han, Leia and the rest, and then begin the new post-ROTJ timeline. A year ago I would have hated that idea, but now I don't mind seeing two different takes on what happens after ROTJ. In the end, Star Wars will always be the original trilogy; if any area of the timeline deserves to have two different creative visions, it's the sequel to that.

Me too. I seem to remember that he was getting very disillusioned with the state of the EU, and was firmly against the idea of a reboot. Just another reason to hope that the ST surpasses expectations.

I haven't had a chance to follow this thread lately, so sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum... but Luke Skywalker with a beard. Ye or nay?

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

well there were a few here and there when Yoda was involved, also the TCW continued with Mace Force pushing a AT-TE walker, and a few other instances.

the biggest question, though if anything the director can handle original characters very well if Star Trek is any indication.

agreed, killing off Mara didn't make any improvements storywise

the recovery process depends on the wound and how big it was, remember Luke was injured for TNR and CotJ yet he at least applied one healing trance. Also this seems to be a spiritual wound, not one of flesh. So I imagine it would take an even longer time to recover.

I'll try my best :p

lol the sequel announcement is the first ray of light for me in years.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes. Leia and Han are cornered by Noghri in a marketplace, while Luke is attacked in a tower. Luke quickly dispatches the Noghri with a thrown lightsaber, then uses one of their stokhli sticks to swing down to the marketplace and take out the rest of the Noghri.

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The Sailbarge theme seems meant for that scene.......I really have to buy that trilogy soon....I'm due to rereading my collection

instantdeath likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    JJ Abrams has made some comments about Star Wars. I'm quite encouraged. I saw one, and immediately thought of ChildofWinds.

“It’s funny how in a weird way sometimes by demystifying a character it takes away from some of the fun that you felt about that character. It takes the mystery out of it. Sometimes a character is more interesting when you don’t know everything about them. Even someone from my generation — and I’m ancient compared to so many of the Star Wars fans that are out there — for me the character of Darth Vader was always so compelling because you were putting together all these thing in your head and making all these assumptions that to get to know Anakin as much as we ultimately did, changes the way you consider Darth Vader. It’s crazy to me that my kids relate to Anakin; which to me is criminal because I grew up believing Vader is a bad guy. I related to Luke and Leia and Han Solo. You don’t relate to Vader! I still think it’s wrong to be on Anakin’s side. So I guess there’s no one character I can point to and say that I want to know more about him or her, it’s just that Star Wars is so vast it would be great to find characters that have that level of emotional intimacy.”

Heh heh. I think Star Wars is in good hands.

Indeed. I always enjoyed that scene, but the audiobook made it so fun, with the music and the lightsaber sound effects.

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    that's a good sign to hear from Abrams, a very good sign.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I also liked this one a lot. It's about the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

“Obviously, his fall was inevitable and you learn that from the early films,” Abrams says. “You know it’s going to happen and watching it happen is tragic. What’s fascinating to me is that I grew up in a time when my friends related to Luke and now, my kids relate to Anakin. There is an interesting social comment there — that when I grew up the hero was an optimistic young neophyte who becomes this hero and the new generation’s hero is a strong-willed, ambitious and ultimately vilified protagonist who is misled and, for reasons of ego and heartbreak, literally becomes the very villain that my generation fought against.”

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    interesting how one generation looks up to the optimistic hero, while the other relates more to the tragic hero. As he mentions it does somehow reflects the social commentary of current events. As of now I think Captain America, The Avengers, and Man of Steel(depending how well it fares), are indicators that society still wants the optimistic/idealistic hero besides the brooding tragic hero.

kataja likes this.
  23. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    instantdeath:

Oh, Okay. That makes sense.... I'm wondering though: If the films decide to allow the EU up to and including SQ, don't you think that there could be a second timeline with SQ being the branching point for the two EU continuities?

I think it's likely though that the films may just totally ignore all of the current EU and start over from RotJ.

I completely agree with that, ID, and I think it's very possible that this is what we'll get.

Yes!

For me, definitely "NAY!" I'm not really a fan of beards.

MasterSkywalker86:
    In fact, her death has diminished story potential, in my opinion. They mostly seemed to kill her just to turn Luke into a vengeance killer so he wouldn't face Jacen/Caedus.

My worry is that Luke will NEVER be able to recover! :(:mad:If it's temporary, fine. But if it's permanent, I will be VERY, VERY annoyed and disappointed!

That's definitely true for me too, MS! I have been TRULY disappointed with the EU for a very long time, unfortunately.

instantdeath:
    Thanks for posting that, ID! It is very encouraging that apparently JJ Abrams likes the truly heroic, good characters, and not the ones like Anakin who do truly evil things. Like Abrams, I was never able to relate to or root for Anakin either. To me, he was NO HERO.

I didn't even think it was all that tragic. Anakin was a selfish jerk. And once he killed the Tuskin Raiders, he was truly a villain as far as I was concerned. That's why it irritated me so much when Karen Traviss turned Luke into a vengeance killer after Mara' s death too. I felt that the hero's response to a similar situation should have been different from a villain's response. Writing it the way she did, made Luke seem like a villain to me. :(

Welll, I'm hoping that Abrams will give us new heroes for the next generation who are similar to Luke, Leia, and Han rather than characters like Anakin....

24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Abrams did a good job on the Trek reboot, IMO - although what goes into a film depends very much on the script/screenplay. At least there was one considerable nod to the books in it!

25. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm with you on that one, CoW. They let Traviss get away with doing that, not seriously thinking what it would mean to break up Mara and Luke that way. This is the one woman that hasn't deserted him....and has been able to stand on equal ground with him--which is why I always thought why she worked out the best as a wife.

And on top of that, he was out of character in Sacrifice. Frankly, I see that warping of his character as Traviss showing her anti-Jedi sentiment cause she didn't truly try to understand who Luke--OR Mara--was because perhaps she didn't care. Just my way of seeing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.