main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Pivoting Back To Luke and the Revitalization of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    As I ponder what these new films will be about, what weighs on me most heavily is that we need to fall in love with the characters of Star Wars. Aside from maybe Obi-Wan, I didn't end up caring about anyone in the prequel trilogy because they were so poorly written. Even Threepio seemed not himself.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think about Luke, Leia, and Han quite a bit, they're embedded in the chambers of my heart as characters I grew up with and love, but ultimately cared about because they were so well written, and I could identify parts of who I am, with parts of who they are.

Any new character introduced, should be, at least, for me by way of Luke, Leia and Han. I should care because they should care.

Do not recast them, to exclude them, they are our conduit, our way back to the magic that Star Wars lost a long time ago.

2. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    You are right, and I think we are in luck with Arndt writing the script for a change. And since fans of the series are working on it, I'm sure they will want to do the series justice. This of course includes characterization as well as everything else. I think we're set, but it's tempting to get too exited lol!

(I mean anything could happen really, Episode 7 might suck........Emphasis on might.)

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This! This times 1 million!

Vale Man, Dra--- and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    A return to an emphasis on character, as opposed to exposition and effects, would be nice.

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Thats not JJ's spec-e-al-lah-tee, unfortunately...

-C

6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The magic never left, for me. Episodes I-III deepened that connection with my old friends in the OT.

That said, they did have a particular magic of their own and I welcome their return.

TreborSabreon and Episode Swag like this.
  7. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    All three characters (even though they are of different sex to either a male or female fan) have relatable/hateable/enjoyable features. They also overcome quite odds with these to become very good people. It's just great writing, great shots, and an eye for showing feelings/emotions/subtleties that make these characters part of us.

This is what George missed out on with the PT. But I won't go into that.

I am SO confident Arndt will knock this out of the park with J.J. I look at the first two seasons of LOST and Toy Story 3, how much I cared about SO many characters individually, and I know that the ST will bring it back around for them.

I am so excited to see the Big Three be in roles that people love them for. I bet it will be very satisfying if they read a script that honors them. I reckon they'll say "Thank you so much for remembering how much work we put in back in the day."

Anyway,

8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I think his focus on character has been pretty strong in the work of his I've seen: Lost, Super 8, even Star Trek.

And relatively speaking, I think his focus on character has been much stronger than what we find in the PT.

But if you're worried about it, he's not writing the script.

Darth kRud and fishtailsam like this.
  9. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

I dont think Michael Bay writes his scripts either....

[face_peace]

-C

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Does Michael Bay even use a script? I thought he just pointed the camera and says "Everybody act like a stereotype!", and then something explodes.

11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I can't agree that the two are comparable.

12. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

Oh, by no means do i want to compare the two. But, just saying JJ doesnt write his scripts isnt the best analogy. I think JJ will do a great job with Ep VII, I just dont think it will be that deep in story telling. I dont think Star Trek was that "deep"....

-C

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Okay, but the comparison isn't with JJ, but with who is writing the screenplay for VII: Michael Arndt, an academy award winning writer. Character depth comes almost exclusively from the screenplay; even the best actors can only fill in the void of character with their energy for so long.

Looking over Star Trek, I guess JJ didn't write the screenplay. Still, I thought the characterization, which is distinct from the overall plot and narrative, was strong.

JJ did play a primary role in the writing on Lost and Super 8, and both were excellent in regard to character and storytelling.

JJ and Arndt both have the ability to make a fun, deep, and character-focused narrative; together, there's a high probability this will be better than anything in the PT.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A New Hope. The Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi. Would you consider these movies deep?
    I wouldn't. Doesn't mean they don't have great characters, with depth to them.

fishtailsam likes this.
  15. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Funny that as he made me care about the characters in Lost, Cloverfield, Super 8 and Star Trek. The last one was some feat as I previously hated Star Trek. All of which were character driven.

Dra---, Kyris Cavisek and fishtailsam like this.
  16. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Well, lets all agree that we dont want a Super 8 ending?

[face_shame_on_you]

-C

17. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Coolio. And no roles for the little blonde kid that looks like Tom Petty's mini me!

18. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually it is, don't let Trek be your only opinion of him.

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Excuse me, why does Star Wars need to be "revitalized?"

20. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Because to many the PT was pretty dull.

Darth kRud and vinsanity like this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It doesn't it just needs continued, new characters new plot, returning old characters, and we all live happily ever after.

22. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Agreed. I'm not sure what you mean by "revitalization." Star Wars fandom is far from dormant and Star Wars has maintained a certain level of public awareness through fandom, the EU, the Clone Wars and just the whole 70s/80s retro/nerd/geek culture that is still prevalent today. Star Wars is nowhere near the catatonic state it was in in the late 80s/early 90s, and I suspect its continued popularity and legion of fans is one of the things that drew Disney to the whole acquisition... It was a no brainer.

As for Luke/Leia/Han... I'm not sure that 60/70 year old versions of beloved characters running around on screen trying to recapture lightning in a bottle is the greatest way to go if you are trying to "revitalize" a franchise and make it hip with the yutes of today. If anything I suspect Han and Leia will be relegated to more or less glorified cameos with 10-20 minutes of screen time. Hamill, playing an Obi-Wan like role as mentor to younger Jedi would work and I suspect if anyone from the OT were to have a substantial role in the new films it would be Luke.

I really don't think you want to do "Cocoon In Space" to "revitalize" the franchise.

Yancy

23. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    There, fixed it for you.

Yancy

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh, quite the contrary imo. He's one of the few directors who can balance out the two. I've never seen a science fiction movie like JJ Abrams's Star Trek (Star Wars is Science Fantasy), with such an amazing amount of character development and so super charged with emotion. It was well balanced with special effects and character development.

25. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Because to MOST the PT was pretty dull.

One good turn deserves another.;)