main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Poll: Will J.J. shoot in 3D?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by garrwars, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Will J.J. shoot in 3D?

Poll closed May 27, 2021.
  1. Yes

59.7%
  2. No, but there will be conversion

26.9%
  3. No, no 3D at all

13.4%
  1. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    No, He didn't film Star Trek Into Darkness with 3D, but it's being converted into 3D and he has said that he was "forced" into doing so by Paramount. And GL pushed it too far with the prequels as he adopted digital photography far too soon.
    I'm not a fan of 3D but unfortunately it seems as if it's here to stay for now.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TBH, I think he'll be forced to.

3. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    pretty much this, unfortunately

4. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm sure when Disney originally talked to Abrams they agreed shoot it in 3D, they do not want to miss out on being able to charge an extra $3.00 a ticket.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I prefer smell-o-vision

skyhopper_75 likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I stand corrected then...My mistake.

I agree-like I had mentioned in an earlier post, 3D IS here to stay. Some Movie Theatre company owners are now saying things like 3D and high frame rate are fast becoming the only incentives for people to want to go to movie theatres still to experience movies nowadays. I don't think they'll ever ditch a format that helps accomplish that goal-at least not until they discover some new, unfamiliar technology that change the game altogether.

Perhaps it wasn't JJ's idea to do 3D, but I wasn't really referring only to HIS choices. In fact I even mentioned in my post that I'm sure he isn't the only one who has a say in that. Still, he did have a desire to do the film with IMAX cameras where possible-having been inspired by Chris Nolan's efforts with The Dark Knight Trilogy. I don't remember reading about him saying at any point that he dislikes 3D...but I suppose I could've missed that one... Regardless of what he actually chose to do, my MAIN point was that he seems to have a sensitivity for new technology in filmmaking, something which would go well with SW, and something I'm sure GL and KK were looking for! Besides-by the time Ep IX comes out, (presumably after/around 2020) there may even be a whole new type of technology, beyond HFR and 3D! [face_hypnotized]

7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds like the video games industry. Industry execs have no idea how to promote a proper, enjoyable experience allotable to the greatest number of people who actually care about supporting their hobbies, so the industry stagnates and everyone suffers.

Give it 20 years. Maybe some people with brains will take over.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm sure today's children will soon be able to outsmart us all!!!!! :p

9. garrwars

garrwars Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2011
    http://starwars.com/news/focusing-o...casfilm-postpones-episodes-ii-and-iii-3d.html

Now that it's been announced that Star Wars in 3D had been postponed, I wonder if this has anything to do with J.J. Being that we know he doesn't like 3D, maybe when he was offered the job, he said something like "I'll take the job as long as I don't have to do 3D." And after they said yes, they said something like "well crap if we're not going to do 7 in 3D, what's the point of doing the others?"

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I heard Abrams was made by Paramount to convert ST Into Darkness into 3D after filming, Disney may demand something similar given how much they like having their animations be 3D.

11. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    There's no way this won't be in 3D. It's an 'event' film, Disney will absolutely want this in 3D and to be honest Lucasfilm will as well.
    Though I'm sure they'll have a 2D release coinciding with the 3D version.

12. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    without a shadow of a doubt

13. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I hope this trend of filming/post-converting 3D movies dies by 2015. Probably not but.. a boy can dream.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is totally what will happen. He knew "Into Darkness" was going to be 3D but he didn't want to shoot it that way. So it's getting post-converted. On the flipside, about 40 minutes of the movie was shot with actual IMAX cameras (I can see this happening for Ep. 7, unless Lucas is able to force them to shoot entirely digital) so, really, when it comes to "Into Darkness" (and, probably, Ep. 7) what will be the "native format" to view it in? Sure it was shot in IMAX but not 3D, y'know?

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    As long as they don't adopt the HFR format. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    It's like people have ran out of ideas
    A: Hey, why aren't there more people watching new movies?
    B: Well...because the stories are bad?
    A: Naah, that can't be it.

B: Maybe the characters and wooden acting?
    A: Come on, you know that's not true.

B: Perhaps because there are so many remakes it became boring?
    A: ...

B: Ok, ok. Oh, I know ! It's because people want to see the movies in 3D !
    A: That's exactly what I was thinking. Good job, Bob ! Now let's make all movies in 3D.

3 years later...

A: Why aren't there more people watching our new 3D movies?
    B: Because they got bored of having to wear stupid glasses for 2 hours just to watch a movie?
    A: 3D is great ! It must be something else.

B: What if we add more frames per second to the movies? You know, for added details...
    A: But won't that look like a cheap TV movie?
    B: Who cares? As long as it has improved quality...that's what our 1080p movies need nowadays - more image quality
    A: The audiences will love it. Again, good thinking Bob !

dolphin likes this.
  17. skyhopper_75

skyhopper_75 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2013
    I think they will probably be in 3D, since lucasfilm had plans to convert the existing movies to 3D. With the advances in technology I don't see them changing.

18. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I don't see Lucasfilm pulling back on the digital front. I'd not be at all surprised if it was shot in 3D. At the very least it WILL be post converted.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Either film it in 3D with none of this lame post-converted nonsense which almost NEVER works, or don't film it in 3D at all. There really is no middle ground to this. Oh and TDKR was an event movie, and that wasn't in 3D. It made quite a lot of money too. Obviously not as much as The Avengers, but it still managed to make a fine profit.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd like to see the entire thing shot in IMAX, but I doubt that will happen

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Even Nolan didn't do that for Dark Knight Rises. I saw it in Digital IMAX (about a step underneath regular IMAX, some jerks online call it LieMax cuz they're cynical jerks) and I noticed the aspect ratio swap between the IMAX shot stuff and the non-IMAX shot stuff. It's small but noticable. Looking at the Into Darkness trailers, it all looks "widescreen" so it might end up doing the same thing.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wasn't Avatar totally shot on IMAX?

Problem with doing films that way is that IMAX cameras are huge and have a very limited filming time before they need reloading so it becomes expensive to film large parts of a movie that way.

23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Not really. Avatar was filmed digitally with Sony's CineAlta cameras (the movie was blown up for IMAX).

24. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I'm also not too bothered about 3D, but seeing a brand new Star Wars in 3D on a giant IMAX screen does sound rather good.

25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Is it odd that my first thought on thinking about 3D was I need to get contacts since watching 3D with glasses can get uncomforable? XD

That said, most of Avengers profits came from 3D right? Or at least a ton of them. So my guess is Disney will likely put a lot of preasure for 3D to recoupterate their 4 billion dollar investment. Plus if I recall correctly Star Trek Into Dariness is doing 3D so JJ Abrams likely now has experiance here... my guess is yes it will be shot in 3D. Plus Lucas has proven now a 3D fan boy, so odds are he in part pick Kathleen Kennedy since he knew she'd push for 3D too.