main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion JJ Abrams will be the "joss Whendon" for Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by welles76, Jan 28, 2013.

1. welles76

welles76 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
    I think Disney and Kathleen Kennedy have found in JJ Abrams, the same kind of guy who is Joss Whedon, both have so much Television experience, both as director, creator and writer, both are very passionate about material, Comics (Whedon) and SW (Abrams) i think JJ will be the supervisor for the next Episodes and for the tv show too... what do you think about it?

2. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Who's Josh Whendon?

3. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    He created the hit show Buffet the Vampire Laye....better not ;)

Alexrd and stormcloud8 like this.
  4. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller… it’s computers.

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nah, if he truly is the "next Spielberg," let him go on to make films like Empire of the Sun and Lincoln rather than become entrenched as Mr. Trek Wars.

Episode Swag likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you suggestion that based on enthusiasm and familiarity of the underlying back story of their movies, both directors are awesome picks?

If so, then I think you are right to the extent that they bring a lot to the table simply as being highly educated fans. Otherwise, I find comparing the two directors to be difficult and unfair as both have different strengths and weaknesses.

7. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I still say that Firefly was a piece of junk. I just couldnt get into it. There's a reason it only lasted one season. It did give us Summer though, which I will be always thankful.

-C

8. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Depends how involved he gets.

If he stays on boards, directs Episode VIII and IX, develops a tv show etc... sure, it woul dbe a good comparison.

If he makes Episode VII then goes and does Star Trek 3 or MI5 or more of his own stuff instead, then not so much.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  9. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The reason is a combination of Fox barely promoting/supporting it (It was immediately relegated to the Friday death slot), it was marketed as action-comedy in what little promos existed (hell, I remember seeing those and thinking WTF is this, yeah no interest), and aired the episodes out of sequence. Similar thing happened with Dollhouse...which was actually worse since they kept moving that show around to different times/days and Joss took 3-5 episodes to finally make the audience "get it" (I checked out at the third episode and was later on talked into buying the DVD and to persevere through those first 3 which now I realize...totally worth it. It's not that those 3 episodes were bad, you just have no idea what the show's identity is yet, but once you do those 3 episodes retroactively become awesome). Even though it was cancelled, Fox was later convinced to make Serenity because it noticed that the Firefly DVDs sold EXTREMELY well. I think the reason you couldn't get into it could be because a lot of people insist it's Joss doing Star Wars as TV, which it isn't - that's the looks like a duck gut reaction description. So you're expectations are already set up for disappointment. The show, if anything, is about post-Battle of Gettysburg life and Manifest Destiny.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think it was total junk, but I probably couldn't have taken more than one season given the constant jokiness. I'm in the minority with this, but I think that Caprica only getting one season is a far bigger crime than Firefly's brief lifespan.

Lord Tuvitor and Tan-Wessel like this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Firefly.....blecchh

12. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    J.j. Abrams will be the j.j. Abrams of Disney.

Lord Tuvitor and Alexrd like this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think Joss is going to want to direct a Star Wars as soon as he can after he trusts someone to takeover Avengers. Yet I feel as though JJ was chosen by Lucas a long time ago.

14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    San Dimas High School Football Rules!

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Folks, we can make every thread a make-shift symposium for bashing all things prequel, but we are NOT bashing Firefly.

You can't take the sky from me! =((

DarthBrian likes this.
  16. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope Joss doesn't come near Star Wars.

Alexrd likes this.
  17. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Joss basically did a Han Solo movie in Serenity (on something like a 30 million dollar budget). I think he would do great. I'm all for him doing Episode 8.

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney has not only cornered the boy market with Star Wars and Marvel. Also every nerdy director, writer, and actor is flocking to them. I am willing to bet Seth Green will appear in some capacity. I would love to see a MacFarlane Disney team up at some point but I don't know if Disney would go for it

19. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Beat me to it! ;)

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope so, and I heard it was Spielberg who actually lobbied for Abrams to Kathy Kennedy.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It is a good endorsement.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Of course Spielberg did. Abrams practically did an ode to him, with the 2011 movie, "SUPER 8".

How exactly is Abrams supposed to be the "Joss Whedon" for STAR WARS?

23. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Joss and J.J had back to back shows on the WB back in 1998. Both featuring female leads. Its weird how their careers have matched up. Both still doing genre TV while doing huge films.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Joss Whedon, made Avengers the 3rd largest grossing films of ALL TIME.
    JJ will do the same for Star Wars. Disney will push the envelope with a lot of things, however it will be less artistic but will make TONS of money.

LawJedi likes this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Come on he's best known for "The Cabin in the Woods"