main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    What style would you prefer to see in episodes xii - ix?

Would you like to see the same duels we witness in TPM and ROTS or would prefer a slower pace much like TESB?

Anyone saying the Vader, Obi Duel in Episode 4 will be shot on sight.

2. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    TESB

Every hit couldt be the last one and every step couldt you lead into death. I dont feel the same when i watch the PT Fights. It looks jawdropping, yes but... [face_dunno]

janstett likes this.
  3. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I personally hope they make the fights like they done with the PT. The fights between Obi wan vs Vadar/Yoda vs Sidious/Qui gon and Obi wan vs Maul, were easily the best fights I've ever seen in the entire star wars saga. Every time I watch those battles i'm always on the edge of my seat watching them. Even when I know whats going to happen I can never get enough of them!

4. Obi-wan_See's_U

Obi-wan_See's_U Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2013
    Definitely PT! OT were very boring to watch.

5. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Neither

They will be JJ Abrams style.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    We need a hybridization of the two. Obi-Wan vs Vader in Ep. IV, while dramatic, looked like two old guys poking each other with their walking canes. It seriously looked like they were about to fall down. Obi-Wan vs Anakin in Ep III, while fantastic to watch, felt like drama - hang on let's pause the drama and fight, okay fight's over - back to drama. Combine the two of those? I get shivers.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    PT. After all, why not? The OT duels, as Lucas explained, were (relatively) slow but it was justifiable by how limited Vader is.

8. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I liked the anakin vs obiwan fight because it was different to other fights in that they mixed up all the moves. It wasnt all just a single back-and-forth swing of the lightsabre. I think in the new films they should choreograph it so that they are fast paced, meaningful as you can see on each others faces, like they want to be the successor and with powerful strikes like in TESB.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Original Trilogy, less flash and dance but more emotional

Darth_Pevra and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Luke and Leia utilize the more subdued OT style, while some of the most prominent younger Jedi have a style reminiscent of the spectacle-driven PT duels.

Han just stays in the Falcon, eating bantha burgers and watching sports.

11. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Mix of both.

Only good fight from PT was Darth Maul v. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon. All the rest were garbage wacky wavy inflatable arm guy fights.

Have some elegance fights, some brutal realistic chopping fights, etc.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    PT, Just make them longer.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree with both, the speed and intensity of PT with the emotion and risk of the OT

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    PT was way too choreographed.
    They should have flashy moves and all that, but still make it look like a fight to the death, more convincing. Some moves in PT just make no sense, however cool they might look on first impression.

So, somewhere in between.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    OT style for me! Obi-Wan vs. Vader and both Fights between Luke and Vader were amazing!
    The only real good fight in the PT was Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon versus Maul.
    It will be a mix I think. I hope Luke and Leia use the OT style while the younger people will use the PT style.

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Whatever style is used, just make sure a John Williams Score is attached to the duel.

18. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    IMO the most 'fake looking' fights were actually RotS Obi-Wan vs. Vader and ANH Obi-Wan vs. Vader.

Compared to the other movies, Obi-Wan is doing strange moves against Vader in ANH. But of course, we'll let that pass, because the point of that fight is not how it looks.:)

Although I'm prequel defender and most of the duels looked cool, but they carried little weight, maybe because there was a huge amount of lightsaber battles. The Episode I duel had a point I think (revealing the threat of a single Sith), so did the Windu vs. Palpatine duel (turning Anakin).

The Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in RotS was only fought, because Vader had to be put in his armour as required by the plot. The setup for it was almost non-existent. Actually, it would have made more sense if Yoda and Obi-Wan fought Anakin together, possibly turning him, then all three (or two) should have battled against the Emperor or aid the rebelling Senators.

But whatever, RotS was still awesome and I'm off topic, the main thing is: make the duels integral to the movie! Besides, they don't have to be between Force users, I would have been perfectly happy with just the Jango vs. Obi-Wan fight in AotC (provided it happened during the climax).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm good with TESB style as long as they show more duel scenes.

That one scene in ROTS when Obi wan went all Blade 2 jumping out of his ship when it crash landed on Grevious ship was corntastic

Vale Man likes this.
  20. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Agreed. I want to feel the emotion in the duel, but also see amazing visuals with great fight choreography.

21. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I like the tension of the OT samurai style lightsaber fights.

22. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I'd love to see a tribute to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Han walking into a cantina a young, over elaborate, Sith using the ROTS style fanning saber dance, Han pulls out his blaster blows said Sith away, flips the bartender a coin, apologises for the mess and sits down to a bantha burger and a beer.

23. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Something between the two. But to be honest, what really bugged me about the PT fights wasn't the overthe top aspect of them. That actually made most of them fun to watch. What I didn't like about them was the fast quick cuts of the camera in the fights.

The camera just cuts way too quick in these fight scenes, it's hard at times to catch everything that's going on. The duel in Empire I think averted this problem the best. There were quite a few long shots in that duel that allowed us to see all that was going on.

24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I prefer the PT lightsaber duels. How Abrams will film his duels, I don't know. I suspect it will be up to Kathleen Kennedy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'd prefer it if it was ROTJ style, fast enough to be exciting, not fast enough to look like a dance.