main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Television Discussion

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by nnaydolem, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I am a huge Farscape fan. It is a little weird. It's like muppets on crack. So if you can stick with it, it pays off.

2. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Alison stick with ALIAS....trust me it is worth it. :)

3. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Alias - yes, the sci-fi mythology mystery plot line is intriguing. I watched a bunch the other night and think I must be getter near the end of season 1. Funny, I know when it was airing I saw episodes past this - just not on a consistent basis.

4. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Watching Firefly for the first time. The first three episodes are okay.

5. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009
    Can't say I ever liked it. Westerns are bad enough in the middle-nowhere- 'Merica...why would space be any different?

6. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Firefly was freaking AWESOME...no IS!

7. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Why? I know many people are passionate about this, but besides "cowboys in space" what is the argument, you browncoats, for the love for the show? I can easily give people my elevator speech on why I love the Wars so much, but I throw down the gauntlet to you Firefly lovers. Tell me what you love about this show and maybe I'll enjoy it more.

8. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    it is well written. the characters are very likeable.There was so much untapped potential....

9. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Please tell me you're watching them in DVD order and not in the order they aired. Fox royally screwed up when they changed the order when they aired.

1. Characters: Three-dimensional, complex relationships and interactions, and, for thirteen episodes and a movie, we actually get a lot of chracter background. These are the underdogs, the people the Starship Enterprise would blow by without anyone noticing. They're easier to relate to than a lot of glossy Sci-fi heroes. And they grow. Which I'm not going to spoil for anyone. But I positively love these characters.
    2. Baddies: There are some great bad guys played by some fantastic actors.
    2. Dialogue: Witty, inventive, and unlike any other show. Plus we got new geek words out of it. :)
    3. World building: We haven't seen this society before. The Chinese/USA-Western-genre hybridization and the cultures it creates are different, and Chinese cursing is entertaining. The idea of "companions" is particularly bold for primetime network television.
    4. Plot: Some plots are silly, some are intense, but they all build on each other. (Which is why it has to be watched in gorram order!)
    5. Theme: Ultimately, this is the thing we love about Star Wars: Good vs. Evil. In Firefly, there's a LOT of grey area to navigate, which makes for complex moral dilemmas. This gets more developed as the series goes on, and postively explodes in the movie.
    6. Setting: I love that ship. Look at the details. They make sense.
    7. Mood: Like most other Whedon productions, the mood can turn on a dime. Hilarious to heartwrenching to terrifying in a beat.
    8. The costumes: They're full of character, and they fit the characters.

There's more, but I'm at work, and I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

nnaydolem and DieWompRatDie like this.
  10. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    I think I'm watching them in order. I watched the pilot, the train heist and the one where the find the derelict "terraforming" ship and get captured by the Alliance. I think I'm watching them in the right order unless the internet is wrong! And, yep, movie last.

Thanks for the insight, QHM. I'll try to watch it with those things in mind.

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    To be completely honest, I was not sold on Firefly at first either. I was one of those people who didn't see it when it originally aired, but had a Browncoat friend who was on a mission to get people to watch it before the movie came out. I am not generally a fan of westerns, so the first few episodes just didn't do anything for me. In fact, I didn't like it. But as I watched more (because I knew I had no option!), I started to see past the Western aspect and to appreciate the show for so much more. By the middle, I was hooked. Now, Firefly is absolutely in position to vie for my favorite show of all time. But why... it is be hard to put down into words, but I'll try.

The first thing that drew me in was the mythology. I love shows that have ongoing mystery plot lines, where you get pieces and clues as you go along. Beyond just the mystery mythology, the storylines were all fantastic. On almost any show, even good ones, you're going to have episodes and storylines where fans and writers alike look back and say "much as I like the show overall, this particular plot line was just stupid.". I don't think Firefly had any of that. Some were stronger than others, of course, but it's all good.

The show has amazing heart. The characters become so real - so well written, so well portrayed. Their situations, their motivations, the choices they make in life... it's all incredibly rich, three-dimensional, and made me really care about them.

The show is incredibly funny, and in a way that perfectly fits the universe it is in. Joss is a mastermind of wit.

The overall key themes of the show and movie are about things that really, truly matter, and are put together in an insightful, sometimes painful (because that's life), but always brilliant fashion.

There are some shows that I've tried to sell to people, and sometimes it can be hard. For example, I was trying to think of how to explain Doctor Who to my dad after forcing him to watch the Christmas Special last year. I could say that sometimes the show is just nutty, hokey, and you have to go with it, along with a huge suspension of disbelief - but those times when the show is good, it's truly brilliant. Well, Firefly... is always brilliant. Looking back over what I wrote, it still doesn't seem quite enough. Partly because I don't have the skill to express it, but partly because the show is one of those that is greater than the sum of its parts, and trying to explain it piece by piece just can't do it justice.

nnaydolem and QueenHighMistress like this.
  12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    what they said...so much better than me. :)

13. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Anyone watch 1600 Penn? I thought it was pretty funny, it has potential always hard to tell on a new series ;).

Oh and Big Bang was great!!! LOL

nnaydolem likes this.
  14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i did see big bang...funny. now i want someone to do mine and sarah's make-up!! LOL

15. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Oh, man. BBT had me rolling last night! [face_rofl] Between the costumes and the comics, it was like seeing my life, but funnier.
    (In case anyone was wondering, the depiction of the women going to the comic store: the reaction of the guys was completely accurate. Happened to me in my younger, thinner days.)

catz44 likes this.
  16. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    It was a great episode, Sheldon looked so much like Data. And I loved his posing in the pictures. He is by far my favorite character

17. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    New Downton Abby on tonight :D. Anyone else watch the show?

18. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Anyone watching Raising Hope and see the episode with the Delorean, I have to say that is one of their best episodes yet! It was awesome!

SITH__CHICK likes this.
  19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Did anyone catch the new show Continuum on Syfy? It looks like it has promise, and is *gasp* an actual scripted science fiction show! Sadly now an anomaly on the SyFy channel. The concept wasn't wholly original, but I liked the way they did it, the mystery plotline being set up, and the future technology looked cool and interesting.

20. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    What is it about? Always looking for good new shows?

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    OK, so NEW stuff I'm going to watch Continuum, we might have missed the first episode, The Following, The Cult, Defiance (?), King of the Nerds, Joe Shmo, Project Runway, American Idol (maybe), hmmm, I think there is more. I will update.

Has anyone watched Lost Girl? I have both seasons on my DVR and will need some room. Love Raising Hope, Two Girls, BBT, American Horror, and some other crazy stuff.

22. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Did you watch Project runway all stars? I saw a preview for new project runway I think they are doing it in teams, the entire season. Also Face Off started, looks like an interesting season. It always amazes me what they come up with, I wish I was that talented.

Havent seen Lost Girl, what channel and what's it about?

23. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Catz, the basic premise of Continuum is listed as "The series centers on the conflict between a police officer and a group of rebels from the year 2077 who time-travel to Vancouver, BC in the year 2012." It looks like there is an interesting ongoing mystery plotline. There are a number of familiar faces from other scifi shows. I'm liking it so far.

S__C, I bet you could find the first episode online somewhere. I think iTunes had it up for free the other day, too.

Lost Girl is modern urban fantasy. " It follows the life of a succubus named Bo, played by Anna Silk, as she learns to control her abilities, helps those in need, and discovers the truth about her origins". It's ok. I watch it, but it's not one of the shows I get super excited about. It's also on SyFy.

24. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    Started watching Community, it is a fun show. I would recommend it.

nnaydolem likes this.
  25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    agreed about Community..great show.

OK, who is watching Downton Abbey...OK happy catz44 ??????