main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Hey not to interrupt your conversation here, but which book would you recommend for best introduction to mandos? Like number one have to read first type, preferably, as I don't know how much time I have right now...

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I always recommend the Republic Commando series as a whole for a good Mandalorian introduction. Of course I am biased because that is what introduced me to them. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I've read the Traviss books in... LotF? Was that the one? And quite enjoyed the Mandos there, though I know lots of regular readers didn't. Maybe I'll see if I can get the Republic Commando e-books from the library, see how that goes.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yup, those were the parts of LotF I enjoyed the most. Some of the characters given cameos in LotF, just a few, show up in the RC series as main characters, though obviously in a much younger form. :p

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    If you can, grab Jango Fett: Open Seasons. It's a great look at the Prequel Era Mandalorians, especially in showing the violence of the clan warfare. After that, I'd get the Bounty Hunter game for the conclusion to certain events in the comic. It also sets up a lot of the subtext for the Republic Commando novels, such as the True Mandalorians, the Protectors, and Death Watch.

Republic Commando is a mixed bag. Some people love it, some people hate it. I like it, but I do admit that its impact has lessened on me over time. I was just happy to have a series where the damn Jedi weren't the focus for a change. It's got its ups and downs, like any series.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 is a must have for Old Republic Mandalorians. The entire game revolves around the fallout of the Mandalorian Wars, and is a rare example of a Star Wars product that deals with the consequences of war, rather than moving onto the next big galaxy ending threat. (Note, it does have a galaxy ending threat, but that's not the true focus of the game)

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 2 has a terrific trilogy of episodes that show how the common Mandalorian lives, and how their society is viewed by the galactic public. The clans, such as Death Watch and the True Mandalorians, are revealed to be fringe groups that revere the traditional Mandalorian heritage, while much of the society has come under control by the New Mandalorians, a nonviolent movement formed after the Jedi bombed half the planet to hell in order to avoid another war.

The season 3, 4 and 5 stories so far have not come close to the first round of Mandalorian tales, but I'd recommend watching the Season 2 ones regardless. They're some of the best that The Clone Wars has to offer.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Let's not understate the power of that voice! :p
    And isn't old and gaunt exactly the description we're given of Vau?

General Shepard, Admiral Hackett, Amon's Lieutenant... He's practically begging to be Sergeant Vau!

7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    He just seems a little *too* old to be Vau, for me. I always saw him and Kal being around the same age. Hendrickson is ten years older than our pick for Skirata, while Weller is only three.

8. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Always remember the magic of makeup and prosthetics (and in extreme cases, CGI :p ). Also, just because he's actually 10 years older, doesn't mean he looks it. (Not that I'm actually advocating for Hendrickson over Weller: I have no opinion in that matter [Clint Eastwood for President Vau!]. Just playing the Devil's advocate.) :D

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually realized too late after my post that its Shepherd not Shepard. I am aware he played those other characters, but I have only played Modern Warfare 2, so I didn't want to bring up stuff that I hadn't experienced first-hand.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    As I was thinking of preparing the Mandalorian Coin of Destiny to break this casting tie I came across this image online :p Cool stuff :)

[​IMG]

11. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Right click, save as.

[​IMG]

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw, no Kad'ika. Great attention to detail, though.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    This is still one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

Robimus likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  15. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    And there I thought he came to break our tie for Vau...........

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    No, I am pretty sure Sinrebirth would have voted for Clint Eastwood anyway. :p

[​IMG]

17. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    We will do the coin on Sunday barring a late addition to the voting process.

18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Been thinking about this tie business today. We used the coin on destiny on the old forum because we really didn't have another option. Now we have this dice roll thingy on the new forum. Should we use that? (assuming we can figure out how to do it :p) I'm thinking one throw for each actor, highest score wins?

Edit: There I think I figured it out. Maybe five dice rolls for each actor, add them up and the highest wins?

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Or do the random option selector thingy. Dice are a little imprecise.

20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I have no problems with the coin of destiny deciding ties.

[​IMG]

21. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    To the Mandalorian Coin of Destiny!

[​IMG]

The Boba Fett side is Weller's, the Mandalorian Symbol side is Henriksen's. Best three out five five tosses wins.

Toss 1: Henriksen
    Toss 2: Henriksen
    Toss 3: Weller
    Toss 4: Weller
    Toss 5: Weller

In a come from behind victory Peter Weller is cast as Walon Vau!

[​IMG]

For a second there I thought I'd be able to save myself some tosses, buy nay :p

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Woohoo! I have other plans for Hendrickson....

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Peter Weller was my other favorite in that race, so its all good.

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Just updating the casting list. For the next character to cast I want to open the floor for suggestions. Which character should we cast next?

From the iniital list that the old Oya Ehn'umverate came up with the only names remaining are: Ny Vollen, Kast Fullier, Parja Bralor, Bessany Wessen & Ko Sai. Other characters that come to mind to me that could be included are Rory Melusaur, Camas, Altis. There are more but perhaps with the exception of Bessany and Ko Sai the more prominate names are done.

Ed Harris as Kal Skirata

[​IMG]

Emma Stone as Etain Tur-Mukan

[​IMG]

David Wenham as Fenn Shysa

[​IMG]

Molly Quinn as Scout
    [​IMG]

Frances McDormand as Arla Fett

[​IMG]

Sam Rockwell as Bardan Jusik

[​IMG]