main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thread Topics: New or Recycled Style?

CT-867-5309, yggdrasil311 and LawJedi like this.
  2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm thinking we should start a thread on Facial Hair: PT vs. OT!

The PT beards were so fussy, so fake, so forced. While the OT beards were so naturalistic, so fun, so emotional! Somewhere along the way, George obviously lost his passion for beard grooming!

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oppo Rancissis would beg to differ...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    OT because they have more going on than just some stunt men swinging swords at each other. There is a deeper, more emotional, meaning to each fight, which makes them more excting than any CGI enhanced PT fight.

5. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Facial or pubes?

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  7. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    You have to consider who's having the duels. Will the Jedi Order be re-established and back in full bloom? If so, then they should be like the PT because that's how a fully-trained Jedi looks (according to George). If the Jedi Order is still being built back up and not quite in full bloom yet, perhaps it should resemble the OT more

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    TESB, ROTJ, TPM.

The ROTS was kind of cool but over the top. AOTC is good but not as good as the others though I would pay double price to see a jawa sith jump around like Yoda.

9. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Should be in full bloom if mark hamill plans to reprise the role. The time period between rotj and episode 7 will be a min of 20 yrs

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  10. wookiebk

wookiebk Jedi Padawan

May 6, 2004
    It will be JayJahtized with people flailing and screaming at eachother.

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    OT had one kid who didnt know what he was doing, and two old timers who were old and past their prime.

The PT had prime Jedi and Sith and young, yet properly trained students.

The ST will have a mixture of both. Luke will be like Obi-Wan in the OT, and outmatched by the antoganist. At the same time, their will probably be some young Jedi/Students who have more under their belt in terms of training than Luke did in the OT.

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    The ST could also have a Jedi Order that is founded by a dude who isn't mired in years of dogma and academia. A Jedi Order based more on practicality and efficiency than elegance and tradition. If that's the case, I would like to see that reflected in not just their attire, but their battle techniques.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I know we don't want to go into the EU, but Kam and Kyle basically champion lightsaber techniques. With Kam's circles of defense, and Kyle's Strong, Medium, and Fast. I think you are going to see a more advanced form than the OT but it won't be traditional styles that have fancy names much like in the PT.

Also I would LOVE if the Jedi dawned uniforms much like Obi-Wan's Clone Armor/Jedi Robe combo

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Not to mention the casual wear, jumpsuits, tunics, lighters robes that we see in post-ROTJ EU. I would be cool if I never saw a wizard sleeve ever again. Especially if it worked toward Lucas-style visual character building, by telling us visually how different this Jedi Order is from the last.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The lightsaber duels should be fought with mental projections of lightsabers on the astral plane.

AnakinColodin and LawJedi like this.
  16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Is there a "will Rogue Squadron appear in EP 7" thread yet? I want a Jedi flying with them. And Kyle should wear his get up. Luke and Corran will probably rock the Jedi outfit. It will be odd if Jaina/female Jedi lead. They will want her in close fitting clothes since sex sells? Jedi catsuit?

Pro Scoundrel and LawJedi like this.
  17. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    OT Style all the way.

Sorry, but the flashy fights of the PT are nothing compared to the Empire Strikes Back duel. Or Jedi. Hell, for those of you knocking the original duel in Episode IV.....you have no idea what makes a Jedi duel so important. It was filled with emotion and importance. The former student turned evil. The old Master returning to face his destiny. Our heroes trying to escape. Sure it had no super fancy moves but was packed with an emotional whallop.

18. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Force Ghost Yoda vs Spectre Sidious, the rematch. But considering how old they are, the movie will be sped up a bit, unless you enjoy the pace of the Family Guy German Guy Fight.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It will be sped up, but I don't know if there is going to be as symbolic as former master, former apprentice showdown.

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    PT all the way.
    The OT fights looked like two kids who picked up sticks (or in the case of ANH, two grannies who picked up sticks). And don't give me this "OT fights were so emotional" crap. The PT fights were just as filled, if not more filled, with emotion as the OT fights. Except ANH - that one they just looked bored.

VMeran, LawJedi and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Except the fact that you didn't love the characters as much because character development was skipped over for poor relationship set up. I would agree that the EP 3 anakin obiwan battle was equally good

22. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm hoping for a mixture of the best elements from the OT and the PT.

I'll tell you one thing I definitely don't want to see: A Jedi and a Sith jumping around from one spot to the next and then one of them stops fighting suddenly and says, "It's over! I have the high ground!" That was the part of the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel in ROTS that made the least sense to me.

23. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    SO MUCH EMOTION!! Hayden Christensen is my favorite actor.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Wishing there was a DISLIKE button

Sarge likes this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I didn't? Really? I don't remember that! Let me do a head count:

Characters I loved from the OT: Vader, Lando, Dak, Luke (but only a little, his wining got in the way)
    Characters I loved from the PT: Qui-Gon, Anakin, ObiWan, Maul, Padme, Mace Windu, Jango, Dooku, Bail Organa,...and a bunch of minor Jedi (who I liked, but then grew to love from the EU)

You don't need hours of character development to feel for them. I find the two most emotional scenes for me in the whole Saga are 1.) The Jedi Purge from ROTS, 2.) Seeing so many Jedi die in the Battle of Geonosis. I felt nothing with Ben Kenobi's death in the OT. My reaction is similar to Liea's in Robot Chicken Star Wars: "Oh, did the 80 year old man you just met yesterday die? Sorry if I didn't notice, I was a little busy thinking about my entire family and the other 2 billion people of Alderaan who were just vaporized into dust about 3 hours ago."