main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, now that you mention it, I could just be compensating for something. :D

The Bops likes this.
  2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Honestly this is a really smart move if it turns out to be true. 3D rerelease is not going to make much money. It is best to push all their resources into continuing the franchise. It;s a decision based largely on business, but it is a business move that I believe will be a benefit for the fans in the long run. Now they can dump more money and resources into the ST. Disney didn't buy the franchise just to rerealease the films. There is no money in that. The business men in the company know full well the money is in new movies. They want to make sure they do everything right with this new trilogy in order to continue to make new movies for big money. If so much is riding on this next film, then why wouldn't you take away resources form any unnecessary projects, and put it all in the pot? I have all the old movie. Put your time and efforts into the new ones. 3D of something I have already seen is meaningless to me.

Pro Scoundrel , kevmp and FinleySlade like this.
  3. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    GOOD. I hate 3-D movies, I hope this is an indication that the 3-D fad is dying. They give me a headache. I saw Avengers in 3-D and 2-D, and the "normal" version was much more enjoyable. I'm all for the regular versions to be re-released as a way to generate some anticipation for the Sequels.

Vale Man likes this.
  4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Starwas.com just confirmed it but are using the term "postpone". They said they will update on the films' 3D release plans later sounds like its still on the table.

FRAGWAGON and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Or it's just a way to keep us quiet about it...

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    It's more important to concentrate on developing Episode VII, and ending The Clone Wars on a high note, than to have money losing 3-D junk worked on. This was a smart move creatively and economically.

Gallandro likes this.
  7. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm not into 3D. I didn't even bother to see Episode I in 3D.

It's a gimmick that never resonated with me, actually makes me dizzy...

I would be down with rereleasing the PT and OT. Didn't the OT Special Edition films come out a month or two apart back in the 90s? Maybe Disney could do that leading up to Episode VII??

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hopefully. I really don't want to tell my son that they're cancelled. He's never seen them in the theater and I was looking forward to taking him. Don't want to have to wait for 2015.

9. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing the rest on the big screen, but really, I think it's a good thing. If they really are focusing more on the ST because of this, it can only be a good thing. That's more important, as far as I'm concerned.

10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Star Wars needs a massive PR reboot after the Prequels. Those alienated such a huge section of the fanbase, Lucafilm is smart on focusing on winning them back.

11. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    This is a really good point.

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I hope they at least consider re-releasing the films in 2D format, if they decide not to bother with the 3D conversion. I am of the opinion that no experience truly compares to an actual screening in a theatre (home cinemas notwithstanding), and it would be a great way to lead up to the release of EPVII. Say, release each of them six months apart in the "slow" season (i.e. October and February) for a limited time (for example, one month). Is that really too much to ask?

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Padme501st and DARTH_BELO like this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Would you like a little hyperbole in your coffee? Seriously, PR reboot? I'm sure Disney is just wringing their hands with all sorts of angst over the shadow of the Prequels... the same Prequels which introduced a whole new generation of kids to Star Wars. A whole new generation of kids who watch Clone Wars, buy toys and dress up in cute little Ahsoka Tano, Padme and Anakin costumes at Star Wars Weekends at Disneyworld.

Some of us older fans really need to take the blinders off or the OT rose tinted glasses and realize their is a legion of Star Wars fans ready to descend on theaters BECAUSE of the Prequels... a legion of fans in the late teen/twenty something demographic that's ready to spend money on Star Wars merchandise.

Yancy

15. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Episode VII isn't going to be a sequel to the Prequels. It's more of a sequel to the Original Trilogy, and Lucasfilm needs to get those jilted fans back in theaters for it.

16. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    This could mean a dash to get all the films converted for a late 2014/early 2015 release with the films released every two weeks a la the SEs. It would make sense for Fox to maximize on the free press the Sequel Trilogy will offer, and it will build buzz for the upcoming Episode VII release. Hmmmm.

Yancy

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Smart move by Disney/Lucasfilm. You don't want to oversaturate the market.

18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Some of you folks really don't comprehend marketing. No way on Earth am I going to ignore a segment of moviegoers that buy crap... that's what teens and twenty somethings do, they are your largest money spending market. The so-called "jilted" OT fans are still going to show... sorry, but you will.

A fanbase that has been percolating for over decade is going to give me a lot more merchandising bang for my buck than a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds... think Avengers... movie skewed younger but honored Marvel's past. Which kind of makes sense given J.J.'s involvement.. I suspect the OT characters (outside of Luke) will likely only be minor supporting characters... New story, new characters, new Skywalker.

Yancy

19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I have no doubt that the 3D rereleases are in part to increase appetite for the upcoming new films (just like the 1997 rereleases were), so I can see that. An alternative explanation is that Abrams' involvement has postponed the 2015 release date (which is just a rumor, of course) and that they want to postpone the 3D releases until they can commit to an actual Episode 7 release date-- and then release the 3D versions of the PT and OT to lead into Episode 7.

I'm just speculating, obviously.

Ordo Skirata and yodasbum like this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Shame, as someone who works in a cinema myself I had big plans underway to promote the next two 3D movie releases :(

Padme501st and LawJedi like this.
  21. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    It's a smart move. 3D Is utter and complete GARBAGE. It's about as useful as used toilet paper. If I had a kid I would not allow them to see anything in 3D.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    IMAX 3D is good, problem is that converting films into 70mm format is pretty darn difficult and so they just do that RealD 3D rubbish which is even worse when post-converted

23. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :_|

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    BAM! =D=

Anyone who says that the Prequels alienated SW fans and/or ruined SW is fooling themselves. I mean that in the nicest way possible. [face_peace] The box office proves that. And yes, the box office numbers DO matter. If nothing else, it CREATED many, many new fans-as this Sequel Trilogy I'm sure will also!

It'll be interesting when the Sequel Trilogy comes out to see how people view the saga as a whole after that. One new thing added to something familiar can always look odd if there's nothing ELSE to compare them both to-closing a circle, so to speak. The existence of the ST will, I predict, possibly cause us to see the saga in a whole new light! And Ep. I-III suddenly may seem to fit better in the saga as far as theme, atmosphere and story. Because the ST will likely be different in its own way as well. Then we'll have three trilogies from three eras of the saga, each with its own "feel." That could make the PT stand out much less. I for one am excited for that.

Also, as I've said many times (unlike the prequels-which we all KNEW how it had to end so there wasn't much breathing room storywise) with this ST, there are no confines of a certain storyline to stay within. There are no expectations of what's going to happen. Anything at all can happen now! And I find that super exciting! But I'm sure it's also going to piss off many people because it's not what they were hoping for. IMO it's impossible to make a prediction or have valid expectations for the ST, since the story can go literally anywhere.

Darth Chiznuk and Gallandro like this.
  25. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Good move in my opinion, focus on Episode VII