main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I think "3D Gold Bikini" is a sufficient enough answer to your question.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd be perfectly happy never seeing any more 3d Star Wars movies. Except presumably the new ones.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm not surprised Disney have "postponed" them to be honest (coughaxedcouvh).

I've never got the appeal of 3D personally. I know of too many people who've told me it gives them headaches. And while I can see the novelty for cinema viewing, I laugh at the image of a whole family sitting around their TV all with goggles on their faces. :p

Which isn't even to start on my views about making 2D photographs three-dimensional...

Quick someone tell the Louvre how to do a 3D Mona Lisa so we can see behind her head! They'll make a killing! (I really shouldn't suggest that, as I'm sure there would be people who'd suck it up, just like they do Tracey Emin's bed sheets :p)

All I've ever seen 3D as is a desperate attempt by the film industry to get people to keep going out to the movies, rather than just watching things at home, but it's always struck me as having never really taken off. This just sounds to me like Disney have accepted what George didn't want to.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  4. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Away with your antedeluvian views, Flat Earther! ;)

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Couldn't care less about 3D myself but I only have the RotS novel. With TPM and Shadow Hunter getting bonus stories, I was interested in the potential tie-ins for AotC (and eventually Empire and RotJ). Something better than Approaching Storm would be appreciated. ;)

6. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I will admit I am surpried. I thought Disney would release Attack of the Clone/Revenge of the Sith this year, and release IV-VI sporadically throughout 2014-2015, leading up to Episode VII's release. Itis ironic, though, that TPM was the only one to get the 3D treatment though.

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Ah, yes, of course. I forgot my burning attraction to women in 3-D metal bikinis. My bad.

Zorrixor, Bib Fartuna and RC-1991 like this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Now that you mention it, I kinda want to see Jabba the Hutt in 3D. Y'know, when he's disgusting, not all shiny and grand looking like his is in TPM.

I actually never saw TPM in 3D.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Forget 3D.

I want to see ANH in 70mm.

Zorrixor, krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So apparently Whedon was approached about doing Episode VII but had to turn it down due to the Avengers. I'm really curious how that would have turned out... I much prefer Whedon's work to Abrams.

11. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Just because this Fridge Horror idea hit me recently, haven't checked through this thread to see if someone else brought it up earlier ...

... has anybody considered that with the asinine addition of flow-walking, there now potentially exists an in-universe mechanism for GFFA canon to be rewritten? I'm really hoping nobody goes there, but it's kind of like that big red lever with the sign reading "END-OF-WORLD SWITCH! DO NOT PULL!" According to Terry Pratchett's philosophy, you know the paint isn't even going to have time to dry ...

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Since my original comment re: 3D keeps tagging me back into this thread, I should just point out that I'm not overly infatuated with the whole thing myself, I just think it'd be a shame to have been denied 3D Yavin, Hoth and Endor because they felt it necessary to start with the podrace and Otoh Gunga.

TheRedBlade and fistofan1 like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually my explanation for continuity errors is simple: Waru burped.

14. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    lol yeah that's been discussed about 999999x times since the Episode 7 news came out

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    This is the sexiest thing I've read all day.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Mmmm... high-fidelity magnetic audio =P~

Ahem! Sorry. [face_blush]

(but seriously -- I've heard that ANH with those old reels looks and sounds unreal. It's something to be experienced.)

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Incorrect.

That is the sexiest thing you've read all day.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Pretty sure that's another middle finger to Fox

19. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    This of
    Think of it this way: Disney already owns the Avengers and Whedon. If they split his attention, the risk weakening what was their biggest money maker last year. By getting Abrams, not only does Disney sign a popular and talented director, they potentially screw their competitor Paramount out of a director for the third installment of one of their big cash cows. It was a masterstroke.

20. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Bugger that, I'd prefer to see ANH in ultra-wide cinescope format:

21. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    In addition to, well, pretty much everything from the OT, I was looking forward to seeing the AOTC speeder chase and the opening Coruscant battle of ROTS in 3D

22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I really wanted to relive the entire saga in 3D. I also was hoping AOTC and ROTS would get new short stories in rereleased novels.

It really makes me wonder why Lucas didn't wait a few more years until doing this deal....why now?

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Since I never caught the TPM in 3D, and I relived watching ANH when the special edition came out, and I watched the prequels in theaters already, I'm indifferent to this.

All the more better to making Episode VII the best it can be.

24. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Nah. Whedon is a very talented man and the Avengers plays to his strengths of quirky teamwork, clever dialogue and really selling an audience on the verisimilitude of a ridiculous universe, but his tells are more...obvious to me than Abrams, or perhaps just more jarring in the context of Star Wars.

I don't need Jaina Solo to be one of his Magical Fighting Girls. I don't need all the heroes to quip endlessly. I don't need the whole thing to be so subtextually aware of its own genre it hangs lanterns on its tropes in a way designed to reassure us that we needn't be embarrassed rather than in earnest celebration. I don't need to establish pathos through the incongruence of humour and sudden, abrupt, devastating bleakness.

None of that is a criticism of him as an artist; it worked wonders on The Avengers. I love that movie. I love Firefly. I like Buffy most of the time. But I want to see Star Wars, not Joss Whedon's Star Wars, and I very strongly feel it would be the latter.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll admit I'm not actually as familiar with Whedon's tropes and tells as much as others. So far, I've only seen the Avengers, and am in the middle of watching Firefly. I do intend to give Buffy a shot sometime fairly soon, though so far it seems Firefly is quite different: it hasn't yet found its Magical Fighting Girl (though I hear it's River), and rather than get the impression that it's anxious to subvert science-fiction tropes, it seems to readily embrace them (with a healthy dose of snark around every corner). I haven't quite gotten a taste for Whedon's penchant for killing characters, and can honestly say I'm looking forward to it.

I may be being too hard on Abrams, as I haven't seen anything by him in quite some timeI do need to watch Super 8 again. When I saw it in theaters, I think I was too annoyed at the ending (which came off to me as ET redux) to judge the film on other merits. Aside from that, though, I've just never been impressed with him. Hopefully Star Wars (and Star Trek, as I suppose I need to give that series a shot sometime) will change that.

Of course, I can take solace in the fact that Abrams isn't writing. I definitely wouldn't want the guy who wrote Armageddon writing Star Wars [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.