main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Likelihood-of-Williams-Scoring Debate

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Obviously, everyone would love for John Williams to score 7-9, but it seems there is a disagreement on the likelihood of this happening for two basic reasons:

1) Williams is semi-retired and only does Spielberg stuff
    2) He would only come out of retirement if something interested him enough.

I'll take the devil's advocate position here, go out on a limb and say neither of these reasons are enough to make his involvement unlikely. It's still a 50/50 chance to me.

On the first point, I'm sure Williams had no idea there would be a new Star Wars Trilogy when he made that statement. Lucas and Spielberg are very close friends with both each other and with Williams, and if this trilogy closes out the trilogy of trilogies, I'm sure Lucas would have some pull with Williams in helping the three trilogy set have some musical continuity.

On the second point, Williams as always been vocal about what a unique and wonderful experience working on Star Wars films has been musically. I don't see why a final trilogy of the Saga wouldn't have inherent interest to him.

Discuss.

Julius Vernon and Episode Swag like this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Of course he will.

3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope he has the energy to do it, it would be weird to have a Star Wars trilogy without him.

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If his health is good then I'm sure he'll do it.

5. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    My feeling is this. If Williams is still alive, willing, and able, he will score Episode VII. If, for any reason, he isn't able to, I'd expect that we will still have a heavily Williams-influenced score for the ST. Beyond that, when it comes to spin-off films or entirely new trilogies, I suspect we could then expect to hear something new in style but still, in the short term, retaining Williams references.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I expect others to score the spinoff movies, but I hope John Williams can complete the ST, so that it will be a complete body of work. No one should work on the episodes but him.

Julius Vernon and BarkingFrog like this.
  7. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I can see him co-scoring. That is, him doing the major motifs, with another composer doing the heavy stuff.

He is getting very old, after all. And I doubt beyond VII. If he does it, something tells me it will be based off solely self interest. Because, let's admit it, the single constant in the Star Wars saga is Williams excellent score.

Episode Swag likes this.
  8. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I hadn't even considered that he wouldn't be doing it.
    I suppose he is getting on in years, but I suspect if anyone else were to take over they would borrow heavily from the themes that Willams has already contributed.

9. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    $$$$ cash is king

10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Does anyone know what kind of relationship Abrams has with Williams? If any?

11. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
  12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The likelihood of that depends on whether you take a frequentist or a Bayesian approach. [face_plain]

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I actually want Michael Giacchino to score the movie. Who cares if its not very 'star wars'-y... Just listen to this stuff.

MaeveSkywalker and kevmp like this.
  14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    If it comes down to money, let me steal a popular line from Jurassic Park: "Spare NO expense!"

I think this would be a big hit for fans and be a small win for Abrams and the new team.

15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I hope he returns but if he doesn't I can understand. The dude's like 80. If its not Williams, then I say get Giacchino *but maybe have him work with Williams just cause....why not*

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm calling John Williams / Michael Giacchino combo score!

17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Where are we getting these two reasons from?

I think the biggest thing in question is age vs. the length of the commitment. In that case there are two, perhaps more, things to consider:

1. Have Williams do Ep VII and play it by ear for the rest.
    2. Assume he will not be able to do all three, so use someone else from the start. (Of course main themes and style would be done in line with the original stuff anyway, and hopefully well.)

Now as far as want goes: John Williams is an icon when it comes to scoring films. His themes are the amongst the most recognizable pieces of music in history. A Star Wars movie without him would be like family dinner with someone missing. We would all want him to score every Star Wars film ever, but unfortunately, we know that can't happen.

I do hope we at least get Ep VII with a full Williams score.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    He wont, Michael Giacchino will be scoring this film. He has worked with Abrams and scored every project he's ever directed since the Alias pilot up to Star Trek Into Darkness. Now I could see Williams taking a role like he did with Superman IV. For those not familiar, Christopher Reeves originally wanted Williams back, but Williams was too busy at the time, so he suggested his friend and former orchestrator, Alexander Courage (of Star Trek fame) write the score for Supes... however, Williams did lend his support for the project and wrote a couple of themes for the film including the Nuclear Man theme and a Lacy Warfield love theme. I suspect Williams might take a similar role and write a major theme or two for the film, letting Giacchino take over scoring duties.

Yancy

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Here's a sample which gives you a better flavor of his work. Versatile to say the least... probably my favorite composer working today (with the exception of Williams) :

20. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    And of course his Oscar winning music from Pixar's Up.

Darth_Harmon likes this.
  21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    How old is the Maestro now? How old will he be the year Episode VII is released (2015/16?) - as the film score is one of the last things completed for the movie. How old will Mr. Williams be when Episode IX is released?

Who will score the spinoff films?

22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Ummm, who cares if the score is not Star Wars-y? That is blasphemy.

23. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    John Williams is 80 now, so he would be 82 by the time he was scoring Episode VII. As for the spin off films... I suspect they will be scored by whomever the director of each film is comfortable with. So let's say Brad Bird directed a film, Giacchino would likely be his choice, Zack Snyder would probably use Tyler Bates as he has a few times. Just depends.

Yancy

24. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    If Disney went and got Kasdan (who hasn't written a script for a movie he didn't direct since ROTJ) then they will get Williams, unless he dies first.

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I hope that whoever scores the spinoff films, still keeps the opening theme, and other familiar cues, whilst still contributing something original to the music of the saga.