main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I'm fine with a postponement.

What I would like to see is a full speed ahead approach to bring back Star Wars to its global movie power, that some would say was tarnished by both the PT's quality and the constant re-re-re-re-re-releases with more tampering of the original product.

I hope that one day we will see 3D version, as there are people who really like it. (I dont mind it, but I am curious to see it at least). I mean, that already started it with Episode1.

That being said, I am curious what Fox thinks about this, being they still own certain rights to the PT and OT. If the NEW Lucasfilm can affect the outcome and release of such movies,do they have the power to now go back and remove some of the more ridiculous stuff added to the movies (shoot first, hayden in ROTJ)? Can they finally give us a "original masterpiece" edition that we all want?

You wanna make buzz, that's how you get buzz back.

2. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They should quote you the next time they do one of those "Star Wars: Mythmaking" books.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry I was referring to the PT 3D films. I knew there were plans to do the OT in 3D but I honestly didn't think they'd ever see the light of day when you consider the challenges of converting a film of that age.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And I was pandering to you a bit with ESB. :D Frankly I want to see AOTC and ROTS in the theaters a great deal, but it's just been longer since we've gotten the OT in the theater.

Based on the official site's wording, this is more about "postponing." This seems to match the talk about JJ not committing to 2015. It would be swell if we could still get a theatrical re-release schedule with a later Episode 7 release date.

5. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I never really was all that excited to see 3D versions of the movies anyways. Not a huge fan of 3D in film.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    This is a good move. They had too many irons in the SW brand fire. Focus on the new trilogy, wrapping up TCW show, and developing the TV show and 1313 video game.

7. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree, they should focus all manpower on episode 7. Something tells me they will need it for a 2015 release with this beeing the most anticipated movie of all time.

Graphic and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, it's the most anticipated movie of all-time since the last SW movie. This franchise is amazing.

9. hyperionprime

hyperionprime Jedi Knight

Apr 3, 2011
    my guess is that they will release all 6 film in 3D in the 6 weeks or months(from january to june...6 months) prior the release of episode 7 and the rumors is a july release date

10. hyperionprime

hyperionprime Jedi Knight

Apr 3, 2011
    and how can they need to focus on episode 7 when 2 and 3 are ready to be release,they're is something else behind all this your higness

11. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I actually saw Ep I in 3d and I was not impressed. I could care less to see AOTC and ROTS in 3d...Sure Episode 3D sounds cool but that has been done to death anyways so screw that. Concentrate on the new film, not the old films.

12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm not either, but since TPM was also released in 2d at the same time, I was looking forward to that trend continuing. I always love to see SW on the big screen. I saw TPM once in 3d and once in 2d - would have continued that trend with the remaining five films. It's not a total heartbreak, but it is a little disappointing to me.

13. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Hopefully there's still the possibility of them re-releasing the films in just 2D formats. That's all that mattered to me, seeing the films on the big screen again.

14. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I really don't care for the 3D versions. The BlueRay versions are good enough for me. I say VII al the way.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I wanted to see them in 3D (or mostly the OT in the theater, 3D or not) but I know they wouldn't really look all that great. I can't say I'm surprised they've made this decision though, and hopefully it gives them more resources to E7.

16. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I am getting really sick of the media asserting that Star Wars needs a reboot. The prequels, despite some mixed reviews, did quite well. The clone wars cartoon is doing well. Also, relatively speaking the TPM 3d release did ok. What are they expecting?
    Kinda stinks. I was looking forward to seeing the movies in 3d.

17. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm totally fine with this if they are focusing their money and energy on Ep VII.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    I will never forget experiencing a New Hope for the first time on the Big Screen, just the wonder I felt, I think I was 7 at the time. It almost makes me tear up a bit, I watched it with my mother who passed away several years later. Whenever I see a New Hope I feel like a little kid again the world just seemed full of opportunity, adventure and mystery.

19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Have no problem with this. I didn't see TPM in 3D either, so wasn't really planning to see AOTC & ROTS in that format. I like 2D, and the Blu-rays are also enough for me at this point.

20. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Hasn't the movie been seen already 10 million times on the "big screen"? How many freakin' times does it need to be re-released? Dear god, enough already. There is this thing called Blu-Ray and HDTV, you know? Watching them at home in 1080p is VASTLY superior than PAYING to see them AGAIN on a large dirty screen with people getting up and down, eating, and all the other crap that comes with it. I haven't been to a theater in 8 years and don't miss a single bloody second of it.

3D is a worthless gimmick in the first place. And people are gullible enough to actually think paying EXTRA is worth it. This is a smart move leaving 3D alone. "claps"

Bobatron likes this.
  21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, dangnab it, I wanted to see AoTC in 3D - heck, I want to see it in a theater. Great way to screw PT fans - and WE are a LOT of Star Wars fans.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm OK with this since the staff working on the 3D conversion will most likely be working on Episode 7 now. I will miss the cool freebies from Lucasfilm though. They sent out a really cool numbered lithograph to theater managers for Episode 1.

23. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    what? but wait a minute here. The 3d conversions take minimal resources don't they? And didn't Kathleen Kennedy say that she wanted Lucasfilm to produce and release 2 or 3 movies a year? I mean ILM does fx work on I don't know how many movies each year. I would think that converting the old movies to 3d probably takes a lot less time and resources than doing the fx for all the movies they work on each year.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I think this has less to do with the workload to ILM and more an opportunity for the powers that be to step back and assess if further 3D releases are the way to go, or give them time to come up with a release strategy the coincides with the build up to the release of Episode VII.

Yancy

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Has there been any official statement that Ep. 7 would be in 3D? If they are essentially canceling not only remanding prequel 3d releases, but also the OT, wonder if the new trilogy won't be in 3D (which I'm personally fine with). I can't believe that they are 'postponing' the remainder prequels due to 'low demand'. I mean, The Phantom Menace has to be one of the most maligned movies of all time yet it still raked in 43 million domestically (and it was through a limited release). I think the operative word is 'POSTPONED'. They didn't say cancelled.