main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Top ten most powerful sith of all time

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Starwarsranterman, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Vitiate requiring the assistance of 8k Sith Lords is only an indictment of his abilities pre-ritual. Post-ritual? It's an entirely different ballgame. Certainly he's overhyped as hell, but any credible list has to have his name on it.

The argument against Nihilus is a textbook example of the No True Scotsman fallacy: the fact is that he is given a Sith title by the reigning Sith Lord, aligns with the Sith, and uses Sith techniques. The fact that he has no religious loyalty to the order itself doesn't exempt him from membership; I rather doubt most Sith Lords have a true religious faith or loyalty to the order beyond what it can do for them personally.

The Revanchist likes this.
  2. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    As I remember, Vitiate was useless in combat, especially lightsaber combat as the novel reveals that he never focused on lightsaber combat, hence he was useless with it, his abilities are very over-rated IMO, his mind control can be broken, his lightning is the most powerful thing about him and he just about defeated Revan, whom I don't even rate very high, Vitiate doesn't get close to the top 5, I can see an argument made for his place in the top 10 but still.

Regarding Nihilus, fair enough officially he is listed as a Sith Lord, but his power still isn't real power in the Dark Side, his enormous force drain ability, comes from being a wound in the force or an echo of that wound if you will, it isn't something he can control, he can direct it sure, but it's easily manipulated, it is not a true power as the power itself has more control over him than vice versa, his only real ability is his dark variation of Sever Force, that's it.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Vitiate actually manipulated, dominated and tricked 8000 Sith Lords into helping him committ a ritual which greatly extended his life and decimated the planet it was on. At 13, he destroyed his birth fathers mind and turned him into a puppet - before he even did said ritual. He has created various Sithspawn, learned and used essence transfer and has generally dominated most of his opponents mentally, including Revan and Malak.

Revan stood up to Vitiate, so that makes him fairly powerful. He temporarily drove Vitiate back in their final confrontation. He defeated Malak. Though I supposehis greatest feats were post-redemption... so I can concede that one.

Nihilus was annointed the Darth title, and Traya trained him. He's as much a Sith as anyone on the list...

Caedus, as a Skywalker, gets a medal, but being as the power he demonstrated was mostly martial, and not nearly as excessive as galactic-killing rituals, Force storms or consuming whole worlds on his lonesome, he cannot be put so high up, IMHO. Move up to 5, with Revan being removed?

Bane gets credit but as he notes - the Dark Side of the Force was very diluted in 1000 BBY. The Brotherhood field 20,000 Sith at Ruusan to the Jedi 10,000... and lost. Quality suggests there wasn't a lot of quality. Bane, as a product of the Brotherhood, gets special mention but being as he didn't successfully use essence transfer it's not a great demonstration. The more Sith, the less quality. Thus we have 6000 Lost Tribe Sith engaging 600 Jedi... and losing, for the most part.

4. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Not exactly. Vitiate, by virtue of his powerful connection to the Force, would probably be very capable with a lightsaber; much of the effectiveness comes from a person's ability to predict, react, and move at superhuman speeds. His technical proficiency is probably lackluster compared to a Yoda or Kas'im or Luke Skywalker, though.

Not arguing placement, as that becomes extremely difficult to determine with any meaningful exactitude, but he's definitely earned a spot on the list.

Chris Avellone's laughably pretentious grasp of Star Wars metaphysics notwithstanding, Nihilus's abilities derive from the Force, require the Force, and can be used against Force users. It's by any functioning definition a product of the dark side.

Vitiate belongs on the list, but MasterOfEnlightenment undoubtedly has a point: Vitiate is tragically overhyped. The feat surrounding the ritual on Nathema is nebulous at best: Nyriss says he crushed their wills, but also admits that her account is unverified; TOR's in-game codex says the ritual was celebrated by Imperial scholars as a rare moment of cooperation among Sith Lords for a greater goal and The Old Republic Encyclopedia similarly makes no mention of coercion, but instead says the Sith Lords arrived and agreed to participate. With respect to Revan and Malak, Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan reiterates that the pair of them were being led into a trap-- Vitiate knew that they were coming and in all probability exploited their ignorance. When Vitiate tried to replicate the feat at the end of the novel, it required a great deal of concentration and effort on his part and Revan was able to resist and put Vitiate on his royal backside. One of the recurring traits for Vitiate is his liberal use (some might even say reliance) on rituals and gathering of energies. Bereft of dark side nexuses, rituals, and preparation, he's surprisingly pedestrian.

5. Seren

Seren Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2011
    Here's my list of the top 10 Sith lords in my opinion.
    1. Darth Caedus. He nearly beat Luke "Imma tank nearly everyone I meet" Skywalker if not for the intervention of Ben Skywalker.
    2. Darth Nihilius.
    3. Darth Sidious.
    4. Darth Bane.
    5. Darth Krayt.
    6. Darth Revan.
    7. Marka Ragnos.
    8. Exar Kun.
    9. Darth Tyrannus.
    10. Darth Vader.

6. wookie305

wookie305 Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2013
    #1 MARKA RAGNOS

he was the KING of the sith.. i dont recall seeing anything where he was defeated by ANYONE.. when he died.. naga sadow had to fight ludow kresh to take marka's place as lord of the sith. id say never being defeated is proof of power. just a thought

now vader had the highest midichlorian count but palpatine had the most raw power... but still.. both were defeated..

7. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Here's my list. I'm not really going by power levels, but by accomplishments.

1. Darth Sidious. Ended a thousand generations of democracy. He is probably the strongest recorded Sith Lord, but more importantly he was a genius, constructing the perfect no-win scenario to defeat the Jedi.

2. Darth Ruin. I don't really know all that much about him, although I'd love to read a book about him. Instigated 1000 years of darkness that had the Jedi and Republic huddled in the Core, forcing the Jedi to resort to measures like seizing the Chancellorship on a larger scale and the desperation shown by Lord Hoth on the battle field on a smaller scale.

3. Darth Bane. One of the wisest Sith we know of, instituted the Rule of Two that allowed maximum concentration of the dark side within a Master and an Apprentice. Also had the foresight to build the foundation that Sidious eventually built the Empire on.

4. Darth Revan. I really, really hate what TOR has done to him. Nevertheless, it was Revan, not Vitiate, that caused the Republic to be in the state it is in during KotOR II. We have never, ever seen such a reign of chaos as what he caused in the Jedi Civil War and its aftermath.

5. Darth Vader. He deserves to be on the list, if only because he is the first and most iconic Sith in Star Wars. He was also the shatterpoint of the galaxy, something that I think that people overlook, criticizing his lack of video game powers.

6. Darth Krayt. A heretic, but a successful one. His plan to discredit the Galactic Alliance, Jedi Order, and the Yuuzhan Vong in one fell swoop was brilliant, and basically destroyed the legacy of the cast of the Original Trilogy. His story is weakened by a few factors however. A'sharad Hett as a secret identity, really? Confirmation of Vergere as a Sith, thus destroying the nice ambiguity of Traitor. Finally being resurrected for no good reason.

7. Exar Kun. The leader of the Sith during the Sith War not only managed to survive the combined might of the entire Jedi Order besieging his stronghold at Yavin, but also survived 4000 years to cause trouble for a new generation.

8. Lumiya. Some may say that the Dark Lady isn't a true Sith, that she was just a wannabe Dark Jedi. She proved them wrong in the Legacy of the Force series, forging Darth Caedus and inflicting maximum pain on Luke Skywalker.

9. Sith Emperor. I haven't played TOR, but he seems really bland and lame. "OMG gaiz! Power level over 9000!!!1! He's better than Revan! Better than Nihilus! Better than Sidious!" Give me a break. All this guy could do was force a Cold War with the Republic. All of the Sith above inflicted much more damage on the Jedi and the Republic. It's not about how strong you are, it's about what you do with it. Sidious had a few decades to plan, and seduced both the Republic and the Chosen One to the dark side. Vitiate did a halfway job, despite having 1300 years to plan and the authors gifting him with whatever powers they wanted.

10. Darth Traya. I could have put Malak (boring but solid) or Caedus (a good fighter, but didn't accomplish much IMO) here, but I chose Traya instead. She ran the Sith Triumverate and facilitated the chaos during the Dark Wars. Her real claim to fame though is her attempt to kill the Force itself. If she had succeeded, she would be at the top of this list, no questions asked.

The Revanchist likes this.
  8. DarthRevereus

DarthRevereus Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2013
    Don't forget Starkiller

9. Marc Lozada

Marc Lozada Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2014
    Darth Vitiate (aka the Sith Emperor) should be on top of the list.

10. Marc Lozada

Mar 4, 2014
    Let's not forget that Vitiate overtook the minds of 8000 Sith Lords and used them as parts of his ritual that rendered him immortal as well as eviscerated all life on his home world of Madriaas (or Nathema after he renamed it). He was also never defeated in combat, being a true master of lightsaber combat and the Force (such an example is when Darth Lokess and all eleven of the other members of the Dark Council, the most powerful Sith in the galaxy, rallied together in an attempt to overthrow Vitiate and seize control of the reconstituted Sith Empire; Vitiate ultimately destroyed all but one of them, the survivor being a severely disfigured Lokess, with a single flash of dark side energy; Lokess was then tortured to death by the Emperor for months). It is true that Vitiate was defeated after a colossal battle with the Hero of Tython, but lets not forget that Vitiate also had the potential to destroy the entire galaxy using only the Force. He also developed the "Children of the Emperor", the ultimate sleeper agents that were so perfectly attuned for their objectives (with their knowledge of their true allegiance, possession and even their Force-sensitivity wiped clean from their minds) as well as so well positioned (with his "Children" placed in strategic locations within the Republic government, with his spies serving as galactic senators, Republic military, with sleeper cells serving as some of the most powerful and influential generals and admirals in Republic space, and even the Jedi Order, with some of these sleeper agents serving as members of the Jedi High Council) that when the Second Great Galactic War broke out, the Galactic Republic was nearly overran. Vitiate was even able to defeat Revan (twice) and Malak (once) without having to draw a lightsaber. Vitiate was also able to create the Voice of the Emperor, a being he possessed to serve as a conduit that would embody his words and spirit as well as the Emperor's Hand, an organization of immensely powerful Sith connected to his will that carried out his bidding. He also bound the Dark Honor Guard to his will and rediscovered dark side and general Force abilities that had long been lost to history (such as essence transfer). The Emperor even defeated the Hero of Tython (this is during their first encounter), his padawan Kira Carsen (a former "Child of the Emperor") and three other Jedi Masters (one, Tol Braga, being a Jedi High Councilor) with just a slight movement of his hand. He would then come to corrupt them and turn them to the dark side (though his hold over them would be broken). Even though he was finally defeated, the achievements as well as the raw power and skill of Darth Vitiate surpass that of all Sith and Jedi combined. Vitiate clearly deserves the number one spot.

11. Marc Lozada

Mar 4, 2014
    Here's my list:
    1. Darth Vitiate (or the Sith Emperor)
    2. Darth Revan (also a Jedi)
    3. Darth Traya (former Jedi Master)
    4. Darth Bane (founder of the Rule of Two, the most prosperous Sith Order in galactic history)
    5. Marka Ragnos (possibly the most feared Sith Lord in galactic history)
    6. Tulak Hord (considered to be the greatest lightsaber duelist in Sith history and one of most powerful Force-sensitives in galactic history)
    7. Naga Sadow (powerful Sith magician that could manipulate solar activity through the Force)
    8. Darth Sion (Sith Lord that used the dark side to survive even the most mortal of wounds)
    9. Darth Nihilus (Sith Lord with the power to consume entire worlds with just the Force)
    10. Darth Sidious (cowardly Sith Lord that did destroy the Republic and nearly the Jedi Order but was only able to pull it off through manipulation and betrayal)

12. Marc Lozada

Mar 4, 2014
    Is there anyone that thinks they could challenge my recommendation?

13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    No need to spam up the thread, if people want to discuss something they will.

14. Marc Lozada

Mar 4, 2014
    Can you challenge my recommendation?

15. Marc Lozada

Mar 4, 2014
    Vitiate is the best; Palpatine is an extremely massive wimp that survived plainly out of luck and pathetic manipulation.

16. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Can we ban this guy?

17. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    You were warned Marc Lozada.

[​IMG]

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Good show, Bardan.

And, more to the point, Darth Sidious has to go to the top because George Lucas told us he is the most powerful Sith ever, and Dark Empire should be required reading as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sidious

Caedus
    Bane
    Vitiate
    Vader
    Revan
    Plagueis
    Tyranus
    Kun
    Krayt

Darth_Furio likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I guess its time I got around to coming up with my Top 10 list of the most powerful Sith I promised I would do on the first page of the thread.

Darth Sidious
    Darth Bane
    Marka Ragnos
    Darth Plagueis
    Darth Revan
    Darth Traya
    Darth Zannah
    Darth Cognus
    Naga Sadow
    Exar Kun

21. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    'Powerful' in terms of what?
    It is impossible to make a proper deduction without giving this information.
    Knowledge, skill, strength, force powers? I would have a different top of the list for each.

22. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    1. Sidious: Goes without saying
    2. Ragnos: Made Kun freeze in awe, still reperesented the Sih spirits 5000 years after his death (when Plagueis went to Korriban)
    3. Exar: Talked about during the New Republic era, nearly killed Luke, somewhat possessed Kyp

23. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    It goes without saying Sidious and as much as everyone hates it, Sith Emperor is number 2. Just as everyone hates everyone who is great( Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Lebron).after those 2 well it's up for debate. I don't get the Traya and Dooku love though.

24. The Revanchist

The Revanchist Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2013
    I'm making the list based on:
    Raw power in battle, ability with the lightsaber, force feats, historical importance, and accomplishments.

I think it's important to consider not just what a sith can potentially do, but what he actually managed to accomplish.

So, here it goes:

1. Darth Sidious
    He is by far the most powerful Sith ever existed (reading Dark Empire will tell you why) and he was the pinnacle of the Rule of Two.
    He managed to destroy the Jedi Order, killing off almost every Jedi alive at his time, conquering the Republic and ruling the Galaxy for 25 years. He also resurrected later as a clone and demonstrated great force feats, such as Force Storms at galactic distances, one of the most impressive Battle Meditation ever witnessed, and a Force Lightning capable of bending lightsabers.

2. Revan
    The so-called Revanchist turned to the Dark Side under the influence of the Sith Emperor and managed to defeat the Mandalorians and win the Jedi Civil War, all almost alone.
    He ruled the Galaxy with the Star Forge and destroyed the Jedi Order.
    Later, he discovered the Sith Empire in the Uknown Regions, defeated his former friend and Sith Lord Darth Malak and destroyed his own Empire after the redemption.
    He almost defeated the Sith Emperor, but was captured, put in stasis, tortured and isolated.
    Nonetheless, he managed to live for centuries, mentally tricking the Emperor to sign a peace treaty with the Republic Forces.
    His teachings were the foundations of the Banite Order, and led to the creation of the Rule of Two.

3. Exar Kun
    One of the most feared Sith in history, he destroyed Freedon Nadd's spirit, formed the Brotherhood of the Sith ( which would greatly influence the following galactic history ) with Ulic Quel Droma, and started a war against the Republic, turning many Jedi to his side.
    Nobody was able to defeat him, until Nomi Sunrider imprisoned his soul into his temple on the moon of Yavin IV.
    He returned thousands of years later and almost killed Luke Skywalker and Kyp Durron.

4. Darth Bane
    Founding the Rule of Two, which would eventually conquer the Galaxy and destroy the Jedi Order, he restored the Sith to glory.

5. Darth Nihilus
    Unbeatable and immortal Force powerhouse, he could drain the energy from all the living beings, consuming entire planets with his passage.
    He was the Dark Side personified, and his only real enemy was his own hunger.

6. Naga Sadow
    He is the best representative of the Ancient Sith, because he was the first one in centuries who tried to expand the Sith Empire, through a well-thought plan.
    An expert of Sith Magic and Illusion, Sadow defeated Ludo Kressh, becoming Lord of the Sith after Marka Ragnos.
    He managed to remain alive for 600 years after his defeat, but he was eventually killed by Freedon Nadd.

7. Darth Vader
    The greatest Jedi Killer ever, he destroyed the Jedi Order, killed hundreds of Jedi, and helped Sidious in building the Sith Empire.
    Having the highest level of midi-chorians ever registered, he is considered the Chosen One from the Prophecy of the Whills, and his power was only limited by his wounds.
    Maybe the best Djem-So duelist in history, he killed Count Dooku, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Sidious before dying, bringing Balance to the Force.

8. Vitiate - Sith Emperor
    He showed a great attunement with the Dark Side since he was 10, and obtained the title of Sith Lord at 13.
    He reconstituted the Sith Empire in the Unknown Regions after the Great Hyperspace War, and ruled it for 1300 years.
    He gathered many Sith Lords on Nathema and killed them in a ritual to obtain immortality.
    Then he secretely arranged the Mandalorian War, and turned Revan and Malak to the Dark Side, preparing the Galaxy for another much bigger ritual which would have turned him into a god-like being.
    He launched the Great Galactic War, but was convinced to sign a peace treaty with the Republic by an almost dead Revan.

9. Marka Ragnos
    Ruler of the Sith Empire for a hundred years, he managed to give the Sith a Golden Age of prosperity and growth.
    Probably one of the most revered Sith ever, Ragnos was remembered for thousands of years after his death.
    His legacy was important to the evolution of the Sith Empire and history, and even Plagueis went to his tomb on Korriban in search of wisdom and ancient knowledge.

10. Darth Traya
    The mentor and teacher of Revan, Traya managed to hide her true identity to everyone and gathered together every last Jedi Masters remained in the Galaxy after the Jedi Civil War, killing them off in one hit.
    Having abandoned the faith in both the Sith and Jedi teachings, she almost destroyed the Force itself.

Tell me what you think. :D

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    What about Naga Sadow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.