main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Bothans to play a larger part

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bluemilkcheesypuffs77, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Personally I love the idea of having Bothans involved in the ST. However, I'm not a fan of what the Bothans supposedly look like. I say this because it seems HIGHLY unlikley that Bothans could infiltrate any Imperial installation without immediately being recognised. The Imperials were ALL human (and racist) so having them running around Imperial territory unchecked is a plot hole IMO.

It might be a bit boring, BUT what if they made the Bothans humanoid? Humanoids that had the ability to camouflage themselves in their environment and thus were natural spies??? NOT shape-change but skin tone etc.... I think that would be totally badass!

StoneRiver and TreborSabreon like this.
  2. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Keep the Aliens more "traditionel".

Remember how Chewie enter the Prison Block. There a many ways to "spy".

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    That's a Holwuff, no Bothan.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Yeah, if I want to see one SW species who never appeared in the movies before it would be Bothans!

Padme501st and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  5. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    If Bothan's as a species are spies, who the hell would let them through the door? Would it not make more sense for them to be an order or something?

TreborSabreon and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Duh, apparently, Bothawui has the BEST pizza in the entire galaxy. They ordered so much that the Bothans were co-opted into building a new pizza joint into the Death Star II. From there the bothan staff was actually spies that operated out of the pizzarriea.

Sum-Wan and DarthRelaxus like this.
  7. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I remember when i first saw RotJ my interpretation was simply that the second death star was built on or near the planet Botha, and that some catastrophic event occurred in the process of finding the plans, killing many Bothans, whether they were human or other species. (a human from Botha would be a Bothan same as one from Corellia a Corellian, right?) The concept of a single species spy network was just too stupid to even occur to my 10 year old self. I still don't think there should be any antropomorphic goats in the SWU, sorry.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  8. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    "We" haven't heard anything about the Bothans being great spies. We've heard one line about several of their deaths.

The EU writers took that line and went nuts with it, so I seriously doubt that Arndt and Abrams will feel it necessary to include them. They may, as fan service, but I really don't think there's any reason why they should play a part of the story.

Vale Man likes this.
  9. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    EU writers went nuts? Never!!!;)

10. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    You never know, maybe bothans are shapeshifters and we just never knew.

Vale Man likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There is the Tag and Bink take on it- that Mon Mothma's referring to a person called Manny Both-Hanz. :cool:

EDIT:- whoops- didn't notice it had already been said on the previous page of the thread.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Some people clearly have an unhealthy obsession with Bothans. ;)

13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Sure, why not.

14. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    You're telling me you've never thought about what larger roles bothans could play not just in films but a range of media platforms (ie. Comics, tv, videogames, books)??! There's so much that hasn't been explored with them. So much opportunity for great storytelling.

15. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Bothans do appear in some games (like Battlefront), but they are underused in everything else.
    Each SW trilogy has a sidekick alien.
    If there wouldn't have been such a negative response to Jar-Jar, he would have been more involved in the story. Just like Chewie.
    So we had Gungans and Wookies. Perhaps it would be better to introduce a Bothan next. I don't have a problem with that. Especially since Bothans "can spek" just like the Gungans and not growl like the Wookies.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  16. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

Nov 5, 2012
    Any updates on bothans? Really hoping they show up in ST!

17. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Those jerks? Whatever evil plan happens in the ST it'll probably be partly their fault.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    He's of the same race that were working on Mustafar, no?

lol. I used to think Prune Face was a Bothan, too.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Both and are overrated. They got those Death Star plans all according to palpatine's plan.

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Thus explaining why so many died on a simple spy mission the Emperor wanted them to succeed at, Im sure he even assigned an entire legion of his stupidest troops but still they got caught and killed... :p

Now as to a Bothan Jedi... if they look like this then I'll approve
    [​IMG]

Cad Carnage and Episode Swag like this.
  21. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

Nov 5, 2012
    [/quote]Now as to a Bothan Jedi... if they look like this then I'll approve
    [​IMG][/quote]

I'd like to party with that guy

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Count me among those who thought Mon Mothma was talking about humans in ROTJ, when I first saw the film, too. And yeah, a big, furry muskrat / wolf-kinda guy doesn't exactly spell "secret agent, super-spy" to me, either (even given a galaxy as diverse as the GFFA).

As far as the ST is concerned, as much as I'm a Jedi guy, I'd still love to see some real attention given to the equivalent of New Republic Intelligence, the use of special forces (Mandalorians?) and the like. This way, in addition to the Jedi and their (likely) Force-sensitive opponents, we can get an honest look at the elite non-Force-wielding forces of the galaxy. Now, if this means we get to see the Bothans in action, I'd be in favor of that, but in all honesty, I'd prefer they be given a new, human(-oid) makeover.

StoneRiver likes this.
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    So what you are saying, is that even more Bothans will die in the making of this movie?

Padme501st and Ryus like this.
  24. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think we should petition to rename Earth to Humanolon, since the main species and the planet should be called the same (or we should officially rename the human species to "Earthians")

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Who the hell designed that? Aren't spies supposed to be inconspicuous? Or do they spy by pretending to be the target's pet?

Wow. You have better insight than me. As far as I could tell from the movie the DSII was built (and was still being built) next to the planet Endor and it's forest moon.