main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like to see one director for the entire trilogy? Or different ones like the OT

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Nov 14, 2012.

1. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    but if JJ knocks it out of the park, why change?

Echo-07, Boxster and Vale Man like this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I think that if Abrams proves himself, no need to change him.

On a side note, I'd love to see a Boba Fett movie/movies directed by Quentin Tarantino.

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    JJ Abrams: Episode VII
    Ben Affleck: Episode VIII
    Jon Favreau: Episode IX

4. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    That'll depend on how the Episode VII will turn out to be. I think we are quite fortunate to have J. J. Abrams on board who by the way is approuved both by Lucas and Spielberg. Lucasfilm pushed hard to have him direct this film and if he meet the expectations I am quite sure he will get the green light for the second film.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    It all depends on how well Abrams movie is received. If he does a great job, Disney will continue to play it safe. It will be his job to lose.

Course if he doesn't want to do the next one....

6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I would like to Quentin Tarantino make a Star Wars film about a bounty hunter, but I want it about Jango.

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Jango Unchained: Episode Deux

Bad_Feeling likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I will say that I definitely want other directors if it keeps things on a tighter schedule. I don't want any of this "4 years between movies" crap that Star Trek fans had to deal with. If JJ Abrams isn't going to make Star Wars the priority then he's gotta go.

Episode Swag and Echo-07 like this.
  9. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    It's hard to tell what Abrams will do after Episode 7. He directed Mission Impossible 3 but opted not to direct the 4th. He is helming the Star Trek sequel though but it is 4 years after the previous film which is little bit longer than most studios would like to have between franchise movies. My guess is Abrams will take it one movie at a time. If he bows after one movie:

Episode 8: Ben Affleck

Episode 9: Gore Verbinski

Graphic likes this.
  10. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't really care, as long as the final product is good and entertaining, it can be an unknown, indie director (like Kershner and Marquand were)

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    God I hope so, I really don't want to have to deal with what we just had to deal with on here two more times.​

12. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty much what most people are saying, if he does a good job, then keep him. If not, they'll get a new one.

13. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I strongly do not believe in a single director for the new trilogy. For one, Abrams is a very safe, reserved choice, who has yet to show he can handle any kind of emotional complexities that sequels to VII would require, given if the stakes are raised as they were during the original trilogy. We might can chalk some of Abrams poor directing to lacking scripts, but he still doesn't hold any weight to the brilliant Irvin Kershner.

I would love, absolutely ADORE, seeing Neill Blomkamp take over the directing duties for Episode VIII. I know he has amazing talent, and potential so untapped and unrecognized it's almost criminal. He's also a far superior director compared to Abrams, whose style is without any real depth or substance. Neill would give us a film that rivaled the pure drama and complexity of ESB, while Abrams will no doubt give us a solid introductory film, like a New Hope, while lacking any real character drama.

14. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think it would be awesome if JJ directed the first one. But afterwards he starts to direct a Star Wars TV show. Another guy can take on episode 8, while we enjoy extra Star Wars over cable TV! Would be the best case scenario IMO!

Graphic likes this.
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The way I heard the Lucas/Kennedy interview it sounded like they wanted different directors for each movie, because Lucas talked about handing it over to a new generation of directors. But Episode VIII is a long way into the future.

Thats my hunch though. They'll go back to different directors for each film.

16. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Now that's a brilliant concept. Abrams does a solid job at delivering good television. Not all of them may be homeruns, but there's a solid track record nonetheless.

Episode Swag likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always been curious what a Joe Dante Star Wars film would be like.[face_thinking]

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    New Jedi code:

A Jedi shall not be exposed to daylight
    A Jedi shall not be exposed to water
    Under no circumstances, shall a Jedi ever, EVER be fed after midnight

19. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    We take a wait and see approach. Imo JJ Abrams is a good choice to at least start the ST, and i think he'll do a great job. If Ep7 turns out good, i'd see no reason not to keep him on for the next two, or at least Ep8. If it turns out bad or mediocre, we get another director(s) for Eps8/9. I'd be happy with Peter Jackson, Steve Spielberg, Chris Nolan, or Jim Cameron.

20. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    James Cameron doesn't deserve Star Wars. Nolan's films lack any sense of cohesion. And Spielberg, well, it simply doesn't feel approriate, so I'll just say no. Peter Jackson is a curious choice, but with the Hobbit, I see him being burned out from doing a franchise like Star Wars immediately afterward. We'll see, of course.

Neill Blomkamp for VIII, then for IX give us a director who can deliver a solid conclusion. Now that's tough.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The new Star Wars movies should be more diverse so:
    VII: Abrams
    VIII: Nolan
    IX: Jackson

22. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I think Nolan would be a very interesting choice for VIII. In the same way that TESB was darker and had its philosophical moment in the cave, Nolan could add an interesting tone for what could potentially be the "darkest" of the three films.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If Abrams Episode VII does $1.5 billion plus worldwide then he will direct all 3 .....

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    IF JJ wants to come back (he may be very busy) and Episode VII is good I see no reason why he shouldn't do all 3 movies. Of course, different styles can be good for the different films. Look how Kershner's ESB changed the tone from Lucas' ANH and Marquand changed again for ROTJ.

25. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I could go either way. Keeping Abrams on for the whole trilogy might allow for a tighter overall story arc, but I could definitely get behind a change in directors each time. I like how each film of the OT has a different flavor. A change of directors can be refreshing and breathe new life into a series. Look at how Alfonso Cuaron opened up the world of Harry Potter with Prisoner of Azkaban.