main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poli-Sci Jedi

Poli-Sci Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Maybe together they'll bring balance to the Force ;)

Darth_Deception likes this.
  2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Howard said ______.
    Howard said ______.
    Howard said ______.
    Robin said _______.
    Howard said ______.

Drove me crazy.

3. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Think of a producer, any producer like a project manager. They handle the day-to-day operations, IOW, they pay for things, oversee all departments are doing things on time and on budget, set up meetings, yadda yadda. Now all the numerous permutations of a "producer" is like in the corporate world with "vice presidents" or other ego-stroking job titles...it could be responsibilities as specific as making sure everyone eats, has a hotel room, transportation, and all their groceries bought while on-location...or it could be another producer's childhood friend who ate at Dennys once and after a night of talking shop happened to mention some great idea.

Executive Producers usually do one thing and only one thing...they wrote and signed a check to someone.

JJ could EP every show that currently airs on TV on every network, every market, every country and still have time to direct Star Wars.

4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I'll just leave this here... =D=

Darth_Deception and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    As crude and inappropriate some people find Howard to be, he is actually far more intelligent and worldly then most of the other guys on the radio. Having said that, Howard's opinion on JJ Abrams, like most things he does is pretty spontaneous and not always thought out. So like most things he says, I take it for what they are worth.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  6. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    The opening sequence of the first episode of Lost is the style I hope to see. I remember watching it live and saying to my wife, "holy cow, this is like the movies on TV. This is a game changer." And it was; every network was (and is) still trying to copy it. Unlike the early '80s, when NBC cancelled V because each episode cost $1MM to produce.

Anyway, in that sequence of Lost, the shaky cam reflected the chaos of the moment - dazed Jack, uncertain what happened or where he was, trying to help people amidst smoke and ruins...awesome.

As I wrote earlier, if JJ plays to his strength of putting people in the moment, like he did in Super 8, and even in ST, we will be good.

If he contrives something like Cloverfield (really, who would keep a camera on through all that?), then we're doomed.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm confused by this mode of thinking. Maybe his attention to detail on Star Trek was perfect? Maybe he chose the style to match the hip 60's era of the Original Series. The fact that JJ did both of these films shows that he has enormous attention to detail and that he chooses his style based on the story.

Just because JJ did something you didn't 'like' dosent mean he is going to copy that style for star wars. It will probably look more like Star Wars than episode 2!

8. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I am all for Abrams directing it. Enjoyed "Lost" on TV and Star Trek and Super 8 in theaters. Should be an intertesting and fun time in the Star Wars future.

9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    No matter how we try to extrapolate JJ Abrams style from his past work, I think we will find that little of it will carry over to Episode VII. JJ Abrams is a knowledgeable fan of the saga, which means he knows what works and what wont work. Can we expect JJ Abrams spin and imprint on the movie? Of course. Can we expect JJ Abrams to depart too far from what made Star Wars the huge success it is? Absolutely not. So my bottom line is, stop worrying too much and enjoy the ride.

10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    He is a racist, so I could not care less about his opinion.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  12. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I didn't know Howard Stern was still alive. Huh.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *Threadmerge*

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    OK, we get that some people don’t like lens flares or shaky cams. But seriously, the jokes got old 82 pages ago. And yes, I know this thread is 82 pages long. Please don’t make us have to turn this into some sort of official policy.

For the love of Kat Dennings, just let it go, people. Just let it go…

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah okay, but its the only adaptation of a beloved space opera in his oeuvre, right? So it's a little more pertinent than Felicity. I think that it's fair conjecture to suggest that JJ's penchant for accessibility could be this movie's greatest strength, and greatest weakness. Let's just say I hope he's studying his Kurosawa.

I do agree that Super 8 is the more relevant comparison, because he was consciously attempting to replicate the style of a whole era of Amblin movies, and mostly succeeded. Although I would argue that it was a little hollow compared to those movies. YMMV.

16. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    What I admired most about Super 8, aside from it bringing those warm E.T. and Goonies feelings back, was that the child actors acting. What I admired most about Trek was how I cared about the crew and how I believed in the antagonism turned cameraderie. This is exactly what I want from the New SW and this exactly what I loathed in the PT...

vinsanity and jedimikey like this.
  17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Wow. 82 pages on the director alone? Mike didn't get this much coverage, and he's writing the actual screenplay, which is actually more important than who directs, IMO. I'm not going to read all 82 pages, that'd give me a headache, and it seems to be mostly complaints about lens flare anyway. I don't even care. JJ is a SW fan, he can emulate a directing style, he can get his actors to work, he can make a shot look beautiful...etc. Nothing to worry about here.

That said, I'm fine with JJ...liked Cloverfield, didn't mind Trek (I'm aware of the problems with Trek, lens flare aside, but I still enjoyed it), and I LOVED Super-8...reminded me of the films I enjoyed as a kid, and thus made me feel like a kid again...I think he emulated Stephen's style there for just that reason. If he can achieve this effect with Ep7, and I'm sure he can, I will be happy.

OK. So, we have Kat and George at the helm, Mike writing, and JJ directing. Wow, that's quite the line-up. I'm chuffed. Now, if they can just cast it properly...any word on who the casting director is/will be? I know, for a fact, that Mark will be in it, as "grandpa"Luke, and the droids...but I'm very curious about other casting choices.

For example, who's the lead? Male or female? Skywalker or Solo? I hope they don't make the same bad choices as in the PT (Jake and Hayden may as well have been played by puppets or robots). Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a PT hater, I love 'em. It was just bad casting. CGI, no problem...that's normal for modern sci-fi films. Just get the casting right...like with Ewan and Liam. We all know Ewan carried the PT.

I'm hoping for a female lead, a young jedi apprentice, Luke's grand-daughter (I'm pretty sure Luke will be a grandfather to the lead character, male or female), with a loving and caring father (Ben, I hope), which would be an interesting departure from the way both Anakin and Luke were raised. Remember, new and different are good things...just not too different...we want it to look like SW, we just don't want variations of the same story told over and over.

Open comment to Kat, George, Mike, and JJ: Please, PLEASE, do NOT stomp all over the continuity of our beloved Star Wars galaxy. You have the resources to not do so; use them. I know you can! I trust ya to make an excellent and enjoyable film, and we fans deserve to have that trust honored.

May the Force be with you! 'Nuff said.

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Kat? Mike? Yeah, let me know if you'll be at Steve's party Friday night. I hear Gil and Joss will be there. We can catch up on old times

FRAGWAGON and phatdude1138 like this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    This is assuming that Abrams is going into production with Arndt's script. I'm of the opinion that some kind of rewrite is inevitable. The question is whether it will be a small rewrite with Abrams/Arndt collaborating to punch up dialogue, action or character, or a massive rewrite by JJ or one of his past collaborators.

20. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't think lens flare jokes will ever get old.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  21. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    This is my worst fear so obviously it will come true. :(

===

Also, a reminder to those mentioning Cloverfield in J.J.'s body of work, he neither wrote nor directed Cloverfield. He only produced it.

22. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Hey, JJ can write. Damon Lindelof can write when he's not being a dolt. Kurtzman and Orci... meh.

23. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  24. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    It's the Lindelof/Kurtzman/Orci combination that worries me.
    Though I'm not a fan of J.J.'s writing on MI3 or Super 8 either. Though I did like Armageddon. :p

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well everybody as a Titan AE or an Alien Ressurection on their resume. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.