main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Light Saber Duels - OT or PT style?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth EL Pollo Loco, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    It was emotional to see Yoda pull out a lightsaber for the first time in AOTC and fight Dooku. It was emotional to watch Qui-Gon trying to hold off Darth Maul by himself while Obi-Wan was temporarily trapped. Those two duels, however, aren't as iconic as the duels in the OT or in ROTS. I think that's the difference. I would think that when most people think about lightsaber duels, a duel involving Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader would be the first thing that comes to mind.

2. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    The problem is that you cannot identify almost any original character's personality from the prequel trilogy just by describing them. The characters are so stiff and bland cardboard cutouts, for example Qui Gon Jin. Watch, i'll describe someone from the original trilogy without giving any plot connections to give it away and you will know who this person is:

A rebellious, grumpy, and witty character that seems like he only cares about himself and money, but always shows up when he is needed.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    OK... If you like Bail Organa it is because of his connection to the OT. His development in the PT was little to none, he should have had at least a big of part as Mace Windu in all of the films. Qui Gon and Obi Wan from the PT I get. Maul i get was cool but his characters again wasn't developed. The only relationships developed were Anakin Padme and Obiwan. And Anakin's actor was so terrible and the romance with Padme so rushed that it fell flat. I knew Anakin becomes Darth Vader, but I wanted them to kill him. I cheered when he got burnt by the Lava. It was so wonderful I would never have to watch Christensen on screen again and it could be the masked Vader who I do enjoy.

And Dak? Again, unless I missed an entire section of ESB that includes Dak saying more than "I feel like I could take on the whole Empire" then dying, his character wasn't developed.

Yeah I think Lobot is cool, but he never said a word. The PT characters did not have the magic that the OT characters did.

And ironically I am classified as a PT generation, even though I saw SW even before the special editions came out. The being said, Order 66 was gripping as was the Maul fight. The PT has it's gems but if RotS was not included, the PT would have fallen flat.

That being said, I am sure this debate has gone on forever....
    Point of the matter is JJ will be AWESOME as director, he will develop the characters well and the lightsaber battles will be epic, I promise we will both like them, unless you don't, cause I can guarantee I will

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Quoting directly from RedLetterMedia earns you no points. All it does is prove bias.

Oh, and your character is Jango Fett from AOTC [face_devil]

SoWizard likes this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Jango Fett or Boba Fett, I can't tell they are the same guy... LOLZ
    Ninja'd I was joking, apparently someone thinks that works...

6. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't even know what RedLetterMedia is. Please. Jango Fett? And you're talking about bias.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You do have a valid point, but Yoda has nostalgia as does Obi-Wan. Qui Gon, well Qui Gon sold it. I would have went insane if there was no Qui Gon in EP1, he made the movie

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I often attach to minor characters who have little to no lines/screen time. :D I was like "Awww, Dak's so cool. Too bad he's dead."

9. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling. My favorite characters in the PT are Bail Organa (I know I am a hypocrite), Kit Fisto, Obi-Wan, Tarful, and Yoda

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What is this from?

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Following the ensuing Great Jedi Purge and the Galactic Civil War, Master Luke Skywalker began efforts to begin rebuilding the Order, and eventually raised the first class of the next generation of Jedi Knights. Because of his prior experiences in lightsaber combat as a former member of the Dark Side Elite, Kam Solusar was appointed head of combat instruction at the Jedi Praxeum. During Solusar's years as the head lightsaber instructor, Solusar educated the earliest Jedi Initiates by creating the three rings of defense, the new Order's basic defensive principles. Kam Solusar would retain this title until after the defeat of the Dark Jedi Desann, when the title of Battlemaster was bestowed upon Master Kyle Katarn, circa 13/14 ABY. Katarn, who was already an experienced fencer, was known for introducing the three combat styles—the Fast, Medium, and Strong styles—of the Order, complete with their own Katas and maneuvers, encompassing techniques specific for single, dual, or evendouble-bladed lightsaber combat.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But what book is it from? I might want to read it.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    While Luke had been provided with formal training in Ataru by Master Yoda, passing this on to his own students,[40]the loss of so much knowledge from the old Jedi Order, including many lightsaber combat techniques, forced Luke's new order to essentially start from scratch. Kam Solusar trained the students in the three rings of defense, while Corran Horn trained them in many of CorSec's combat techniques.[39] The three forms of the Jedi Order were eventually created, each specializing in a different aspect of combat. The Strong style focused on brute strength and offense, often at the expense of defense. The Fast style focused on speed and precision, and was especially good for blast-deflection. The Medium style balanced out between the previous two, and oftentimes acted as a tutorial form, much like Shii-Cho for the old Jedi Order.[41][42] One of the finest students of the academy, Kyle Katarn, practiced all three and eventually attained the rank of Jedi battlemaster. When the seven forms of the original order were rediscovered, Katarn went on to master Djem So as well.[43]

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Well Kam and the three rings is I,Jedi. And Fast Medium and Strong are the Jedi Knight games with Kyle Katarn.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Cool, thanks.

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, no problem. I really love I,Jedi.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the minor EU characters. I can tell you the bio or lack thereof of any EU NJO Jedi. My favorite Jedi is Valin Horn, not even Corran Horn, his father. Valin...

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I actually bought I, Jedi the other day, because a friend told me it was a great book about Jedi training. I haven't read it yet, as I'm working my way through the X-Wing series.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Pro Scoundrel
    Gotta read I,Jedi. It is a MUST! It is the book that made me a Corran Horn fan. Some people don't like his interactions with Luke, but I enjoy it because he doesn't drink the Skywalker Kool-Aid. But honesly, the Jedi training is some of the best written in all of the EU.

20. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    PT all day, would still like to see a bit more brutality displayed over finesse, but the PT duels are much, much better than the OT duels.

VMeran likes this.
  21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I prefer the Bob Anderson kendo/samurai approach to the Nick Gillard fencing/acrobatic approach. Some of the Gillard stuff like twirling a lightsaber around like a marching baton was kinda silly imo.

Maybe we will get a combination of the two.

Sarge likes this.
  22. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Well, personally I'm hoping they use the same swordmaster they used in the PT (I keep forgetting his name, stang it!), but I'd like to see different styles used. If Luke fights at all in the new films, for example, I'd like to see him use the same powerful and sweeping style he used in the OT. Also, I'd like to see someone use that reverse-grip style, too. So, I'm for mixing it up.

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Sadly, my sister watched Star Wars for the first time and is a twiler and was like, I am doing my next solo baton to Duel of the Fates, It'll be two baton. But Hey I get her expensive lightsaber as long as she doesn't break it.

24. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Not to say logic should play in Star Wars which, lets be honest, is more aesthetics; who the hell would be twirling around a heated plasma stick? Even if the enemy doesn't hit you, you have a great chance of injuring yourself.

You would think every move would feel fairly deliberate. I think Luke on the skiff is about as crazy wielding a lightsaber should look.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't we have a thread regarding lightsaber twirling the other day?