main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The entire Star Wars universe is based on the Dark side (Sith) against the Jedi in a struggle for the soul of the universe. Star Trek is the show that has different villains all the time. Or lost in space or any sci-fi space dramas other than Star Wars. It's all about the force and the two factions using or harnessing it for good or bad intentions. It's the core mythology behind the entire concept of Star Wars and some new Jedi who just happens to think he's immersed fully in the dark side without Sith teachings/training would be kinda a joke compared to the threat Sidious and Vader posed. It would be like a force sensitive light side of the force using person thinking they're a Jedi without Jedi training. On the other hand using some space villain as the antagonist who isn't even a master or user of the dark side would be absurd. It would fly in the face of thousands of years of Star Wars history. At the core of all Star Wars saga's is the battle between Jedi and Sith and there's plenty of room for non force wielding good and bad guys to be thrown into the mix. One would think. I think the spin off's would be better to tell non Jedi Vs Sith story lines don't ya think? I don't know...I'll stick with my funeral comment above :)

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't say anything about some new Jedi or space villain or a non Force user. In fact, I gave no suggestions at all but merely stated that we have no idea what the story is about and thus none of us can say for sure if the Sith will take part or not. I think people underestimate the ability of Lucas and Arndt to create something totally original and still keep it rooted in the mythology of Star Wars. There are many avenues they can go down and still have lightsaber action.

3. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    two words = General Grievous. Yuck. Ok six words :)

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    While General Grievous was awesome, he was only a secondary villain, a placeholder, and I was talking about the main villain. He was also not a Force user and (though I could be wrong) I think that part at least is essential. We might get an entirely new Force group (Whills perhaps or maybe the Ones) or they may go with an internal struggle between the Jedi. Who knows? As long as the writing is great and the characters are memorable then I don't think they have to be Sith.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Nothing can top the Sith though. Those ideas sound great but I don't see them doing that... That is a very dangerous investment by Disney...

Darth kRud likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not saying they will or won't just that we don't know yet. However, I have faith in Lucas/Arndt that whatever they give us will be awesome. Lucas hasn't let me down yet and LMS and TS3 were great! Sith are wonderful villains but just because we haven't seen something yet doesn't mean it can't be just as good. That's my thoughts anyway! :p

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    As powerful as the Vader/Emperor Sith lineage was, they were more or less predictable. How about having some insane, unpredictable dark side users that don't really care about their own survival. There could be a great many of them, having grown up in the last few decades without any Jedi guidance (takes a while to build up the order again).

Think about it. The Force is a powerful thing. In the PT, the Jedi kept untrained force-users in check. In the OT, the Sith did. Now, there's hardly anyone to do so, very chaotic.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    This.

However, I would not be opposed to a Sith or somebody like Thrawn (Although Thrawn might look more like a cartoon character on the big screen than an actual villain). I like the idea of Jedi fighting a group of Force sensitive kamikazes whose only objective is to destroy the New Republic/NJO. One thing I hope Disney doesn't do is to insert a female main character just for the sake of having a female main character. I'm no chauvinist, but I have a gut feeling that they might throw in a female MAIN character to save face. Anyway.... there it is. Hope it goes down smoothly.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No offense but I just don't get that argument. Why is it "saving face" to put in a female main character? Just because the main protagonist happens to be female doesn't mean they just threw her in their for the hell of it. No more than if it is a male character.

V-2 and Darth_Articulate like this.
  10. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Thrawn could be used but not in the same manner as the books where he's the main protagonist. He could be used in conjunction with a dark side/Sith threat that isnt necessarily looking to use the Empire to control the fate of the galaxy. Somewhat separate the Empire and Sith story line so on the one hand the Republic and Jedi have their hands full with a Thrawn type character and an even worse villain/Sith appears with the goal of changing the nature of the galaxy through the force in lieu of the Empire (as Sidious tried). A sort of separate two threat combo would be a good way to create a serious threat to the Jedi and Republic but that would be a lot of story lines going because they'd have to throw in the Jedi story line and the Republic story line. It might get a tad confusing for some movie goers. Some mandalorans and nightsisters would be great as well. There's a lot of stuff they can do, I simply want epic Sith villains/Jedi hero's with great writing/directing/acting. I'd be disappointed if the protagonist was a non force using Admiral looking to control the physical galaxy or an invading horde of savages hell bent on destruction for the sake of destruction. The dark side/light side of the force mythology is key in my opinion.

Kyris Cavisek and Pearlsaber like this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    One thing I hope Disney doesn't do is to insert a male main character just for the sake of having a male main character.

12. Pearlsaber

Jan 29, 2013
    None taken. As you may (probably) know, people have accused the SW franchise of being chauvinistic because the main plots are driven my male characters.

My point is that I do not want to see that SW franchise to succumb to political correctness at the expense of compromising GL's vision for SW. If GL's and Kennedy's storyline demands a female main character, so be it.

I guess I just loathe the idea of SW bowing it's knee to the haters. That is all. I digress :)

13. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Maybe one of Lukes Students turn to the Dark Side. After the blue vs blue fight in III, it couldt be the first time for an green vs green fight...

14. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, it would be nice to see a sort of multi racial/gender galaxy in the same way the Matrix films were done but I fear they'll stick with the Eurocentric/male formula for the protagonist. Toys, especially action figures or anything to do with ScI-Fi, have traditionally sold to boys - toy companies have trouble with crafting toys that appeal to both genders but when they succeed in doing so they make a killing. This isnt to say young girls don't like Sci-Fi or Star Wars it's just a majority of the young fans, traditionally, have been boys. I may be wrong as this is what I think about marketing- WARNING foul language in video- not sure if that's allowed here?:

15. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    What if there's no specific need for the protagonist to be either gender, and they just choose a female for a change of scenery?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I may be naive and totally off base but I've never heard of SW being accused of chauvinism. The exact opposite in fact as both trilogies feature very strong women who can handle themselves just as well as the boys (even better alot of the time!)

17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    What if women are just awesome, and they should be included more in pop culture because they make things more awesome?

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen some complaints about Leia in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars on Trial goes into some detail.

Though there are counterarguments to most of those.

19. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the traditional male protagonist has more to do with marketing toys/merchandise for profit. Video games and theme park attractions. Toy guns and Halloween costumes. Candy, lunch pales and trading cards (Don't think anyone uses cards anymore, lol). Money money money money!!!!! It's 2013 though not 1983 so what do I know? Things are a changing. Do girls play Star Wars video games? Buy light sabers and fight in the front lawn? Dress up like Jedi's and such? I've seen some Halloween costumes lately but I'm not in the world of kid. Far removed.

20. Pearlsaber

Jan 29, 2013
    I hadn't either until about a couple weeks ago. The idea of people assuming SW is sexist left a bad taste in my mouth. Here is one of the many blogs and articles I read describing this: http://briandbuckley.com/2013/01/09/is-star-wars-sexist/

Sorry if any of these comments were offensive. That was not my intent. I am just happy that we have Episodes 7-9 coming! I promise I'm not hating on women[face_peace]

Sorry for the rant. I know this thread is supposed to be about "baddies" and I am starting to feel like one.

PS

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    We're working on that.

http://www.heruniverse.com/

Darth kRud and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    You wouldn't happen to be in marketing ;)

23. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Not at all. Your posts are very articulate and well thought-out. For my part, I was just being a goofball ;)

Pearlsaber and Darth kRud like this.
  24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Nope, that's MarketingJedi. They're around here somewhere.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's cool! I haven't read that before and I'll sure take a look at it. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.