main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Release Date Delayed for Abrams???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by cdgodin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    They'll be shooting before the fall at the latest I would guess.

2. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I'm just going on how long it normally takes to make a Star Wars movie from writing the script to final post production...about 3 years (and actually 5 years for Episode I), SO if the script writing began late 2012, trying to get it all done for May 2015 seems like a long shot. But you could be right, they may have been working on designs since last summer or earlier. Of course George was infamous for dragging his butt when it came to writing a script and that prolonged things.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but weren't Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 in pre-production since 2011? Both movies are to be released this year, that's a 2 year production cycle for 2 large scale Disney backed blockbusters. Plus I don't think Disney would say to investors they would get a movie out for 2015 if they doubted they could produce the movie within that time scale. So I don't think a 2015 release date is an unrealistic goal.

With that being said though if JJ thinks he needs that extra year to produce a film he's happy with then I'm sure Disney's investors won't care that much given that 2015 will be dominated by PotC5 and Avengers 2. They will help keep Disney shares afloat quite nicely.

4. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    JJ has as much control over the release schedule as Kersh or Marquand did for ESB and ROTJ - which is to say very minimal.

Substitute Lucas with Kennedy today and you get the idea.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Kersh and Marquand never had a fraction of the clout that JJ has.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm hoping...hoping that they've done most of the preliminaries already and that the darn thing is ready to be filmed by this summer. I've waited since leaving that theater in '83, and some of you want to wait even longer? Give me a break.

Besides, with all the time Lucas and company had in the last eight years writing up new ideas for the tv show, it's possible Lucas was brainstorming his ST idea during that time.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well you have Iron Man 3 released in May & Thor 2 released in November.....if that's any indication there is not much of a chance of EP7 being released in May 2015 .

8. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    What if you die, go blind or deaf in early 2016 before it's released?
    I bet you'll really be kicking yourself then.

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm a sith lord, I'm immortal ;)

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    More like the earliest, I would think.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd get a kick outta it. Whatever the X-Mas 2015 blockbuster is gets a solid week of run off into January, then all of the Oscar bait movies that were released in 2 theatres the last week of Dec to qualify just get flatted by Star Wars and the usual January / February dumping ground is just trampled for 2 months straight. This scenario is actually quite possible if Star Wars gets an X-Mas 2015 release, y'know how The Hobbit has basically already made all of it's domestic cash by now? Star Wars would probably still be ruling the box office. Take THAT, you crummy January releases!

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    January is for Mark Wahlberg movies, not Star Wars.

13. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Okay. Again. Peeps, when they announced Arndt's involvement with Star Wars, he had been well into the script writing stage, just as Abrams has probably been in negotiations for way longer then the public has been made aware of. I believe the film will shoot this summer/ fall, with a year of post production.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Marky Mark should play Han Solo while Seth MacFarlane voices Chewbacca. Mila Kunis will then play Leia. I will then go see the film 236 times.

15. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I expected this and seriously, it could be set even further back. They wont be rushing this.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Does anyone really think JJ Abrams is just gonna do the script as written? I highly doubt that, I can see him rewriting / bringing in his Bad Robot crew to plug away at it. This is up to the individual poster if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I personally think it would be fine, wouldn't mind Bad Robot putting their own input / spin on things.

17. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    It won't be moved back. No way.

18. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I just hope this isn't one of those movies that ends up in development hell. So much is riding on the success of it.
    If somehow it fails then we might as well forget a whole new trilogy. Abrams is probably under alot of pressure to get it right and a little nervous about even starting. May the force be with us all.[face_nail_biting]

19. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah but that was with Lucas writing the script. And on top of that Lucas admitted that the original story treatment for Episode I was light and he had to come up with a lot to fill it out--and I'm sure that added to the time it took to write it.

20. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Maybe I am just too impatient....I can't wait for Episode 7 to hopefully get rid of the bad taste in my mouth from the PT! Trust me, it won't take much to do that!

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess release will depend on how quickly they can get casting done and start shooting scenes.

If we assume the story & script are already in place and it is likely being storyboarded by Abrams & co as we speak, they still have late 2013 and most of 2014 to film it all. Then post-production and then release, so I'd think lat 2015 is easily doable.
    May would be pushing it somewhat, as much as May is part of Star Wars tradition if it's not practical to release the movie then I say don't do it.

22. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Clout - maybe.

Keep in mind though, JJ may well have his Bad Robot buddies on board BUT Bad Robot is not producing Episode VII - Lucasfilm is.

That means KK is in control much in the same way George was in the past.

23. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Right, I believe I said "George was infamous for dragging his butt when it came to writing a script"

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I can't understand people saying "more time, means a better movie".

ESB was done in 3 years. No magic tricks, only people who got themselves locked in a cabin somwehere and wrote the script.

There's no other way, you have to immerse yourself into it. But you can't immerse yourself for 2 years to crack down a "SW script".

You open yourself to a verdict like "Two years to write a screeplay, for .....this ?"

I'm pretty sure that Arndt was working on the script before the official announcement, which put us in 2012 as a starting date for the script.

I will never believe that 1-2 more years will gives us a "Better story or better script"

More rewrites usually means a troubled script.

I'm all for rewrites during the actual shooting, since we get actors input or the actor himself will inspire the writers to arrange a scene differently.

That's it.

Do you really believe that when Bob Iger and Kathleen made the biggest announcement in movie history, they thought "Geez, we might be too cocky concerning 2015 release date ?"

They are among the most profesionnal people in the movie business.

It's all about JJ's agenda and I found this really shocking.

I love JJ, but please no Bad Robot's writers. They are the writers of Star Trek (which was pretty great, but had some problems that would kill a SW movie).

LawJedi likes this.
  25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011