main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Bad engineering? Bad tactics?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 29, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    The CIS Persuader-class tank has these eye stalks that are right in the open, just wanting to be shot.

AT-AT's only have laser cannons on the front.

The "wings" of a TIE fighter extend over the ball of the fighter, preventing any side peripheral vision.

The command center of a Star Destroyer (both Republic and Empire) are way up there, waiting to be shot.

The Lukrehulk-class CIS ship has a giant hole in it to allow ships to pass...but why not just make it a complete doughnut and the ships enter/exit from the top and bottom?

A single A-wing takes down Darth Vader's flagship, The Executor.

You would think after millennia, blasters would become a little bit more accurate, or be able to have enough energy to take down a lightsaber without giving off a huge amount of kick...

And lots more...

Tactics:

Everyone just runs at each other and blasts each other to smithereens, when a big aerial strike could wipe out everyone.

Or how bout just send a rocket with a hyperdrive in it and have it collide with a planet? No need for a Death Star...

Why have these giant invasions that mimic D-Day and have half the ships go down when you can really just take out all the turrets and installations via aerial bombardment. And then send in people to..."clean up"...

I know this is basically a patented Star Trek thing...but has a teleporter ever been put into Star Wars?

Why do all the tanks, ships, turrets, etc all seem to have the firepower of WWII-era artillery?

Loads more...

I've been thinking about this futuristic sci-fi weapon...like a ship has a very very very precise cannon that fires beams of energy (not necessarily flashy and colorful...) and can target enemy units and buildings and basically just disintegrate them. And in a futuristic sci fi world...they should have the tech to do be able to target that precisely...what do you think?

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Well, first off star wars in before present day because its a long time ago.....

but I wonder if things look like how they do because its a film and they look interesting and thats is what they came up with. I wonder if they're not actually people flying tie fighters so it isn't very important if they can see tot he sides.

These things are this way for the same reason in Star Wars there is sound in space.... which there isn't in real life, its because its a movie and it adds affect

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke deflecting bolts from an AT-AT in Dark Empire springs to mind.

4. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    So what about the rest? Like how would a TIE Pilot see around those wings? He/she can only see front/back up/down

5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    See my original post for all the answers you need :)

6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars is one of those stories that don't work very well if you pick it to pieces. It's to be enjoyed in a right-brained way, not left-brained. This is also why people have always whined like a Tatooine teenager about the dialogue. It's not logocentric, rather it is visual and musical. Even the sound effects themselves act as music, in a way. As Ben Burtt said once - somewhere - I think - "Are not lightsabers themselves, music?"

It's a whole different concept of movie-making, storytelling, and movie-watching.

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I guess so, but I'm not that kind of person unfortunately to just accept it like that :( I'm a perfectionist, OCD, mild TS, and a person who examines the very small details of things. Best I can do to help relieve some of those symptoms is to go for an XC run. Often. lol

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Concerning TIE fighters- I could see them having tiny cameras all over, piping their feed into the pilot's helmet.

Result- no more visual restriction problem.

9. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I was recently reading a discussion of the upcoming movie PACIFIC RIM, and one commentor was ripping it because, in his mind, it was ridiculously unrealistic and impractical for humans to use giant, basically human-shaped robots to battle an onslaught of giant monsters (oddly, he didn't seem all that put off by the unlikely if not physically impossible giant monsters themselves!). And another poster said something along the lines of "Please - I invoke the 'coolness' clause"...meaning, basically, fine, the whole premise IS unreal, but hey, it is also cool and fun, so relax!

I don't mean that in a snotty or condescending way - sorry if it sounds that way! I found myself chuckling at some of the things pointed out above, because they are pretty good, and never occured to me, and sure, from one perspective, they deserve a big "HUH?"... kind of like the well-noted (I think) trend in the SW universe to have no railings around all sorts of big pits/ drop-offs, inviting the notion that in the SW universe, there are no lawyers. ;)

SO in the SW universe, armies still face off on battle-fields using (very) old-school almost Napoleonic tactics, because..well..it LOOKS cool. We hear sound in space. The Death Star has that one Achilles heel (then again, Achilles had that Achilles heel, so there is a precedent!). And so forth. These things either work for you - in which case you don't give them too much critical consideration, or ignore them - or they don't...in which case you can't help but go "Hey - wait just a minute!"

Good Thread-starter; enjoyed the observations. Personally, I am a pretty easy sell on those things, but I can understand the objections!

darthbarracuda and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I always wondered that. Espicially regarding the Clone Wars in AOTC, you have hundreds of clone troops marching straight into a line of fire from thousands of droids like idiots..

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everything is powered and guided by the Force?