main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The mishandling of Season 5

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan lost Adi Gallia? While he may think she was his responsibility, she was responsible for herself as an accomplished master and Council master. It's not like Obi-Wan was off playing tiddly-winks with Hondo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    A loss is a loss. I thought the motive behind using Adi Gallia was a call back to "Grievous Intrigue". Obi-wan would have died floating out in the vacuum of space if she had not come back, caught, and saved Obi-wan's bacon. From a viewer's perspective and possibly IU in his mind Obi-wan failed to pay her back for that favor in the worst way possible. Yeah Adi is obviously an adult responsible for herself and a capable Jedi to be on that mission.

And check your profile wall Valairy. =b

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He was going to to lose if nobody helped him, simple.

Even in that battle of EP I, Maul was clearly stronger than him, he could win only because Maul was caught off-guard.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Obi-wan would have opened a bigger can of whoop ass, simple. Anyways, Obi-wan is smart enough to corral and use the pirates in his plans. Yeah Hondo's pirates probably could have taken Maul and Savage down on there own if they had to.

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Seerow: oh, no problem with the "failure to pay her back" POV - and I'm sure he kicked himself numb all the way back to Coruscant and all that, but "favors owed" =/= "losing" someone in the sense I had of that phrase. He "lost her" as he lost Qui-Gon and clones under his command, yes, in that sense of the word but I interpreted it as "his personal failure."

Slowpokeking: always in motion is the future. Don't be too sure of your opinion; it was not "simple" as you state and the (alternate) outcome will never be known for sure. In other words, you might be right and you might be wrong.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Valairy Scot

And that's exactly how I viewed it, as a personal failure. Its another person he couldn't save from Maul and this one once saved his own life. He lost her. Setting aside attachment issues his friend died.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Savage was injured but not lost the ability the fight, plus there is Maul still around, there is no way Obi Wan could win without Hondo's help.

And you mentioned Adi Gallia yes, Obi Wan turned stronger due to rage after she was killed. That's why I dislike Obi Wan more after read the Shadow Conspiracy.

He didn't even raise his fury to try to avenge Satine after Maul brutally killed her.

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Seerow: I'm not sure if we're having a semantical difference of opinion or a real one. I'm sure Obi-Wan views it as a personal loss but she was not his responsibility/an innocent he was protecting - she was fighting her own battle and thus her death was not his failure. Granted the parallels are not that parallel, but when Obi-Wan fought Vader, Yoda fought Sids. Two parallel battles. Was Yoda's failure Obi-Wan's fault? So why is Adi's death in her battle his failure; each fought one on one and he lived and she died.

Going ONLY by your spoiler as I haven't read the book nor seen the episode, I'm not sure that's a valid reason to dislike Obi-Wan. I'll wait to see how it plays out before judging.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, Adi's death is her own fault, maybe Yoda should pick a better one like Anakin to help Obi Wan, not sure why did they send Adi.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Valairy Scot

Its not Obi-wan's fault. Its all in his mind. He'll view it as a personal loss, more than just another body count in the Maul vs Obi-wan story. He sees it as his failure to save her. This is the hero's mind 101. All the good heroes beat themselves up like this. I don't care that Adi got killed by Savage or why she lost her battle. I don't care if she wasn't strong enough or was tired or was on the Jedi Council because she makes the best omelets and went with Obi-wan because he had really bad breath that day and she pulled the short straw. Maybe Anakin was sick of Obi-wan's jokes? I only care about how it effects Obi-wan. I'm putting the event together with past events in TCW.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That's definitely the way Obi-Wan's mind works. In the OT, he believes that he failed Anakin. He blames himself for the death of the Jedi Order. Obi-Wan wants to save everyone, and he can't.

He's a very tragic character when you get down to it.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aha - I got you now!!!!!!! Thanks for clarifying, because we usually see eye to eye on this. Yes, based on your rephrase and my new understanding, I do agree with you. :):cool:

Seerow likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he chose to refuse to see the truth, thought Anakin and Vader are different beings rather than follow Padme's words.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Uh, what? I don't think Obi-Wan chose to refuse any truth - he only knew what he knew and had no reason to know what Padme believed was true. That he was wrong does not make him willfully blind - look at how many folks were not convinced of Lance's cheating until he admitted it - it wasn't a case of choosing to believe the wrong thing but not being convinced of the wrong thing.

Seerow: did my return comment reach you? I'm not sure how those profile comments work in reverse.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Still he's wrong, maybe it has to do with his Jedi training, unlike Dooku, Qui Gon and Anakin, he accepted the old Jedi way way too well.

I don't like him mainly due to how did he treat his relatives, Anakin, Luke and Satine. Maybe that's what old Jedi are suppose to do, leave the attachment away.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol, wut?

Maul and Savage had Kenobi all alone for quite some time, and they ran away, Savage with a jacked knee and only one arm.

Apparently he didn't need to win and he didn't need Hondo's help, because Maul and Savage were running away before Hondo got involved.

lol he could "only" beat Maul because Maul is stupid. Maybe Maul clearly was stronger than Kenobi, but he sure as hell wasn't smarter.

Seerow likes this.
  17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    We can't determine who was smarter in Ep I because Maul wasn't a character. He was there to provide a lightsaber duel.

The best thing TCW did was actually give Maul character (disregarding Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter or Plag... disregarding the EU).

Seerow likes this.
  18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Maul used Force Push on Obi Wan and knocked him out right after Obi Wan cut Savage's hand off. Maul was worried of Hondo would come back and decided to run away.

Sitara likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    07jones

I'm saying Kenobi was smarter then, and more importantly, is smarter now.

He didn't knock him out, he knocked him down, and rubble fell and blocked the path between them. Maul ran because Savage could no longer help him, because they failed.​
    Kenobi got up and gave chase immediately.​
    Slowpokeking, you keep saying that Maul is better than Kenobi, but they've fought several times now and Maul is half a man while Kenobi is still a whole one.​

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He ran because they still got enemies and plans to do, not because of Obi Wan.

I'm saying

1. Maul was stronger than the padawan Obi Wan in EP I.
    2. Obi Wan could not hand Maul brothers by himself.

Yeah I don't like Obi Wan but it has nothing to do with strength.

21. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yet Maul was bisected and Kenobi walked away without a scratch. Stupidity = weakness, one Maul has in spades.

Yet he did it in Revival and walked away relatively uninjured, while Maul and Savage ran away, with Savage's arm amputated and knee injured by Kenobi.

How is that not handling them?

And your bias is showing.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That has nothing to do with strength, Maul handled both Jedi and easily knocked Obi Wan off after Qui Gon was down.

Because Maul brothers were worrying about Hondo might come back and finish them. Seriously do you really think he is stronger than these 2 combined together?

Seriously, I really want Obi Wan to be stronger than Maul brothers, so he would be able to
    save my favorite SW female character

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The problem with Season 5? Too many four-part arcs, with none so far deserving such a large amount of episodes.
    Here's the episodes I think were unnecessary from the long arcs this season:
    Darth Maul arc: Revival was redundant in that it ended in the exact same way that Revenge did; Maul and Randy drifting in space and Obi-Wan outmanoeuvred. (Also it didn't need to kill Adi - that added nothing to the episodes)
    Onderon arc: the first episode (whose name my mind has repressed), a complete and utter waste of time, something that could have been summarised in a newsreel.
    The droids arc: All of them.
    Young Jedi Arc: A Necessary Bond. Could've been wrapped up in the previous episode.

So not only do we get all these unnecessary filler episodes (imo), we only get 20 episodes in total, with Ahsoka appearing in at least 12. :rolleyes:

Inblackestnight likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Maul arc clearly deserve more than 4.

Sitara likes this.
  25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    JackG

A Necessary Bond is my favourite episode this season! Don't take it away from me! :_|

I blame the quality drop of this season purely on the 4 episodes we spent with Gascon. Those episodes were so bad, that they suck in all positivity around them. I've enjoyed every episode this season except for all 4 of those abominations.

What do you mean by filler episodes? The Darth Maul stuff and the Ahsoka stuff are the true focus of this show at the moment. Everything else is filler. What you're actually saying is you want more filler.

Seerow and QuangoFett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.