main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Past Star Wars veterans offered words of praise from their direct experience with Abrams

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Jan 29, 2013.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Sorry if this been posted, but I haven't seen it around yet. I'm not a big Abrams supporter, but these guys are making it a little easier to try and accept him:

Visual Effects Supervisor Dennis Muren, ASC, whose credits include the original Star Wars trilogy as well as landmark films such as E.T. and Jurassic Park, also worked with Abrams on Super 8. "He puts everything he has into his work," said Muren. "He totally immerses himself. He's got such a visual eye, which is so important to the Star Wars films. It seems that a lot of the same things that were in George when he made the first Star Wars films are also in J.J. I think he's going to fit into the other movies perfectly, with the energy that J.J. has. We're kick-starting Star Wars again with dynamite. It will knock people out, including the people who get to work on it. I think it's a great choice."

Ben Burtt, responsible for such iconic Star Wars sounds as Darth Vader's breathing, R2-D2's beeps and the classic lightsaber, has worked with Abrams as sound designer and sound editor on Star Trek and Super 8. "J.J represents the next generation of filmmakers from those that were making Star Wars when I started," said Ben Burtt. "When he was a teen, he was a fan of Star Wars, and a great deal of his love for movies came out of his reaction of that first Star Wars film. You feel that he's already invested so many years in it, and he's going to propel it forward in a new way. In other words, you're having a fan who has grown up and developed tremendous directorial skills finding himself at the steering wheel to take the franchise into the next stage. I feel like I'm there watching history turn over from one era to another."

Matthew Wood, who served as supervising sound editor on Super 8, similarly grew up as a Star Wars fan before working on the films through the prequels. "Working with him, it was so obvious to me that J.J. and I have the same nostalgic love of that era. Now we have someone from that generation who is going to be at the helm of the Star Wars franchise that I've known and worked on, so it's a great circle. Just seeing what he did with Super 8 and capturing those moments, and knowing what was so special about that era, it's going to speak to a new generation of audience as well."

(source: starwars.com)

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Nice post. I hope this will silence the worrywarts. Probably not, but we have a visionary director in the chair and that's what matters.

3. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    They have to say nice things about their bosses.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, Lucas surrounded himself with yes-people.

vinsanity and DarthBrian like this.
  5. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    There are very few people who believe Abrams is a bad choice as Ep VII director. Sadly, they all post on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    There are a core of fans that will never be happy with anything released post ROTJ. I don't even consider them fans anymore, just adult-children with deeply hurt feelings who need a time-out

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's fans that are not happy with anything post-ESB.

kevmp likes this.
  8. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I've seen Abram's version of Star Trek.I'm okey with that.with Star Wars,he's got big shoes to fill. I wonder if Leonard Nimoy can direct Episode 8.

Blue_10 likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This.
    Look at it again, all ye haters, for it is the truth.

10. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Would that mean Episode VIII would be a quest to save the Aiwha of Kamino?

11. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Garbage! Because they don't share your likes or dislike's? I think you may need a time out.

vinsanity likes this.
  12. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    I think the real fear here is that the new movies won't "feel" true to the OT. I reserve judgement for VII VIII and IX until I see them each individually. But I tense up a little when I hear of "new directions" for a well established saga.

My chief complaint about what Lucas has done in recent years isn't so much that the prequals were merely entertaining where the OT crossed into the realm of true "art" if you will, but that he has tried to make his old ideas conform to his new ones, and has digitally edited those old films to comply.

I think that's the fear of some of the fans here. That Abrmas will disregard nearly four decades of stories to exercise his artistic license.

13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I was not happy with anything released post SW Special Editions 97 (except the Clone Wars cartoons, both2d and CGI, they're cool, and games/books all EU stuff)and i'm excited for Abrams being the director of the new star wars movie, your argument is invalid!

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The story has been written for him, he has to bring it to life whatever way he sees fit. I can't see KK & co allowing him to take major liberties with the story, which is still Lucas' story after all.

Vale Man and vinsanity like this.
  15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Agree. I can't believe the number of people worried about JJ rebooting, using time travel and messing with the story.
    None of the above are going to happen. Period.

Blue_10 and vinsanity like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I agree. I don't honestly know if I'd want Abrams to be responsible for the story to Episode VII, but as a director, he's an excellent pick.