main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Opening Crawl and General Thematic Changes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by episodenone, Jan 30, 2013.

1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Any idea if the opening crawl, scene transitions, musical cues, etc etc -- things like that -- I would imagine there will be a lot of changes -- I hadn't noticed whether or not John Williams will be joining the new Trilogy --

But what - if anything- can we expect to materially change or stay the same on the SQ?

Anyone hearing any rumors or have some thoughts?

[no need for any angry rants that if one of these does change - you'll hate JJ forever or some such nonsense]

2. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    The opening crawl style will be the same, as will the main theme. If there is a new composer I expect it to be a combination of cues from past themes "The force theme", han and leia's theme" with new musical themes. I would also expect there to be a few camera wipes to make it feel like Star Wars (or like Kurosawa? ha), at the very least the end will have an "iris out" wipe?

3. Darth Roach

Darth Roach Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I think kevmp has it right. JJ Abrams in a Star Wars fan. There is no way he'll change the essential visual/musical elements of a "Star Wars" film. Expect the crawl, scene transitions, musical themes from the OT and PT, etc.

4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I sincerely hope that the only change in terms of these types of things will be whatever they do in lieu of the Fox Fanfare.

5. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Will we now see Disney - Bad Robot - Lucasfilm placards now? interesting

6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Ive seen some of the fan made fanfair, and i feel pretty good about what an actual studio could do.

7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    bad robot with a red saber!

Ryus and Chief Chirpa of Endor like this.
  8. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I remember debating the same stuff circa 1996-1998 on message boards in regards to TPM haha...."They will be using techno music for the main theme, there won't be an opening crawl, etc" hah...back when this site was known as "Star Wars Site At Texas A & M"

9. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    or bulletin boards? Whatever it was called back then

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm not worried about what they do, I just hope that this is the only thing of this nature that changes, and thats only because it has to.

There are lots of cool options.:cool:

11. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    actually -- that is a tangential piece of the franchise that i'll miss in all honesty.

any movie that starts with that is always a little bit better because of it regardless if SW or not!

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Opening crawl theme replaced with the Beastie Boys.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  13. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    presumeably 'intergalactic', or 'sabertage'?

Darth Gumby and TheManFromMortis like this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    There won't be any changes. Star Wars has a formula, which renders an experience and JJ knows this. To think there will be changes is absurd.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I hope no changes, the only thing that will change is swapping 20th Century for Walt Disney

16. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Here's the deal: We know there is not going to be a 20th Century Fox Fanfare intro. The debate on whether or not credits are shown before or after the crawl are debatable. Lucas didn't have to adhere to the "credits before" because he left the Directors Guild (we talk a lot about it in "The Little Nuances that make a Star Wars Film" thread). Actually I believe he paid a fine in ANH for not having them in the film, then left the Directors Guild.

Obviously Abrams ISNT going to leave the Directors guild, but I'm not sure if he would pay a fine to leave them out. Also Disney has muscle, maybe they would fight to leave them out of the beginning of the film, but then again, they might just say "well, it's just credits" and just leave them in.

17. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    If they change any of this I will be walking out pronto.

18. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I look forward to this new character 'General Thematic' !

I wonder if he'll be a badass like General Greivous or General Tarkin?

19. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    The opening crawl is possibly the most iconic pop culture-pervasive running gag thing ever to come from the Star Wars franchise. It will be there. As concrete as the fact that Hayden Christensen was there in RotJ.

Darth Chiznuk and Seagoat like this.
  20. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Credit issue is such a big deal that I almost guarantee JJ/Disney will leave the credits out of the opening. This is the seventh movie (and the fourth Director to take the helm) in a historic franchise. They aren't going to reinvent the wheel and change things up now. However it happens, it'll happen.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The question whether or not the titles will come at the beginning or end of the movie is a non-issue. Lots of movies these days don't have opening titles. Les Mis didn't have any titles at all. Neither did the Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy. As Darth Seldon has said, they are not going to mess with one of Star Wars' most iconic elements. They know that fans will go in expecting to see the opening crawl over the main theme, and that's exactly what they'll give them.

22. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Force Smuggler and fistofan1 like this.
  23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You'll just see Bad Robot then LucasFilm.

He's not changing the original crawl. Unlike Star Trek, which opening changes every movie, this is different. There is no other movie series that has such a linear, straight forward, and consistent opening and it is arguably the most famous of them all. STAR WARS, followed by episode number and title, then the plot details. The crawl stays, it's the unique Star Wars experience, even the video games keep the opening the same. If Abrams or someone else wants to change it, Lucas will step in. He's not dead yet, and I honestly think he's a bit more involved with this other than a consultant. We'll see. Regarding the music, it's not hard to shove the stock opening theme for the crawl.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    There'll be no opening titles at all--modern movies don't even tell you what film you're watching 'til you get to the end. It'll go Disney/Lucasfilm/Bad Robot logos then BAM! Luke and Leia attending the combined funerals of Han and Chewie. Lumpy will give a stirring eulogy. It'll be a very moving scene with a desaturated filter and a song by Coldplay on the soundtrack.

Cut-to: Luke's son, Trey (Joshua Jackson) performing lightsaber training to a Ke$ha song. Trey's sparring partner will be his love interest, Kasey Mothma, played by Megan Fox, who will be a hit with tweens, teens and 40 year old males. C-3PO will then reprise his rap from the Star Tours promo video, because the focus groups indicated that the urban market hasn't been fully exploited.

This is how SW will roll now. Disney aren't idiots--they know a 1930s sci-fi serial homage just won't cut it in today's market. That's why they bought the SW brand: to make it completely unrecognisable to anyone who was interested in SW in the first place.

25. wookiebk

wookiebk Jedi Padawan

May 6, 2004
    I doubt we will see the disney logo. Since the iconic fox fanfare is gone now JJ will prob want to make the beginning as pain free as possible for fans. It will probably be the standard badrobot and lucasfilm animation with no sound and then straight to "Along time ago in blah blah far ablah..." and then the traditional opening crawl with john william's music.

Or it might just be disney and lucasfilm or disney and badrobot but theres no effin way JJ is gonna have all 3 companies up there with no sound.