main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Owen Lars Not Recognising Threepio

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by THE PortmanLuvva, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What lie? Artoo is the one lying by "claiming to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi".

2. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Artoo is a freaking droid. Artoo was saying what he was programed to say.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Except that he's not lying about R2.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What about all the bickering between R2 and Threepio? Doesn't seem like the product of something that is pure programming with no volition of its own.

Leia might have given R2 orders to say that, true.

5. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    The fact is that Obi-one Kenobi should have known who R2-D2 was, especially after he saw it belonged to Leia.

6. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Why assume he didn't?

7. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    If he says he doesn't recall RD-D2 why assume he did??
    The film says he didn't, you say he did.

Film> Count Yubnub. You see how that works?

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He says "I don't recall ever owning a droid"

Not "I don't recall ever meeting this droid"

9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    No, wrong; Obi-Wan does not say he doesn't recall R2. So the notion that he doesn't is your invention; it's an assumption you are making. I asked you what the basis for that assumption is.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Correct. Obi-Wan says he does not remember ever owning a droid. As a Jedi, he technically didn't own one. He doesn't say he doesn't remember R2; he just conveniently doesn't mention to Luke that he knows him.

Best to get the facts straight before trying to call someone out. ;)

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    The assumption is that Obi-one should have known who the droid was. Saying he doesn't remember owing the droid is B.S. He owned plenty of droids. He was there on episode one when r2-d2 saved all their asses.
    He fought side by side with Anakin, with artoo. What the movie conveys is that he doesn't know artoo , and that's an incorrect. Obi-one has no idea where artoo came from.

He says lets find out what you are, and where you came from...

V-2 likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He's a Jedi- individual Jedi can't "own" droids- they are issued them in time of need (such as when going to war in a starfighter) and when done with them they are returned to the temple.

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Who says he doesn't?

No, he says it; therefore, not BS.

No, he didn't. He never owned a droid.

You keep claiming that he doesn't know R2, and you have yet to explain why you make that assumption.

Right, so it's R2, who came from Leia.

Here's a question for you: ignoring the other movies, why does R2 claim that he's "looking for his former master" and "the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi," while Obi-Wan claims to not remember ever owning a droid?

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    why does R2 claim that he's "looking for his former master" and "the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi,"

R2 is using that as a cover for his mission.

15. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always assumed R2-D2 was programmed to deliver Kenobi the message by any means possible. For R2 to lie and say his owner was Obi-Wan Kenobi was a way for him to get to Obi-Wan, just like getting Luke to remove the restraining bolt so he could playback the whole message which was just R2 bull****ting.

R2 is a bull****ter! In fact, a lot of people bull**** Luke through the entire saga whether it be Obi-Wan, Yoda, R2, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. C3PO doesn't bull**** him because he's a blabber mouth that's why they wiped his memory.

Now Obi-Wan saying he "Doesn't remember owning any droid before." was not only true from a certain point of view, but I also always imagined that Obi-Wan just said it to stay off the subject of Anakin. R2's mind isn't wiped after all and say the droid starts beeping-off about Anakin and C3PO translates, boom, we and Luke find out Vader is his father and turned to the dark side and everything.

Also when Leia popped up on the hologram why wouldn't Obi-Wan just be like "Uh, dude that's your sister...." Especially after Luke exclaimed "She's beautiful!" (Yes, I know Leia wasn't originally supposed to his sister.) Again, I just imagine Obi-Wan wanted to prevent Luke from finding out too much right away because damn that's a lot of baggage to put up with.

Also anyone notice that C3PO randomly decides to shut himself down while Luke and Kenobi are talking? I always wondered why, seemed kind of random to just put into the movie for no reason.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere (possibly the Complete Visual Guide?) that there was a reason for that- it was to prevent him from divulging sensitive information.

SoWizard likes this.
  17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought C3PO shutting down was a contrivance to allow Anthony Daniels some time out of the boiling metal suit for a scene in which he had no lines.

The thing with Obi Wan saying he doesn't recall owning a droid, and seeing what R2 is and where he comes from, is that it sounds like a denial, without actually being a literal denial. He was being politely unhelpful, he wasn't literally lying, but he was being evasive and economical with the truth.

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    This is Obi-Wan Kenobi we're talking about. I'm not surprised.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Neither am I. :)