main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion should the New Saga mirror the Original Saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    The Prequels and the Originals mirror each other, showcasing two sides of a coin, good and evil, father and son.

But with VII and beyond do you think they should stray so close to the originals?

I think these new films should be different. We have a trilogy of triumph (IV-VI) and a trilogy of tragedy (I-III). I don't think another variation could work.

A father falls, a son rises, and a grandson or whatever relative does....what?

I don't know if there is a middle ground between rise and fall, but it doesn't seem very compelling.

So my hope is that these new films try not to rip off the old movies, and create something new.

2. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think there is potential middle ground to be explored. The new Skywalker could reject his family history ala Cade Skywalker or something. In the sense that he just wants to do his own thing sort of like a smuggler. There are many ways they could do something completely different. This is just one idea.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah it's too hard to tell at the moment since we don't even know who the characters are going to be.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    It would suck to be the child of Luke Skywalker. I'd imagine everybody would expect you to either become the next Jedi savior or the next Darth Vader. Talk about crazy expectations *maybe they should mention that in the sequel trilogy. Have our hero struggle with the insane expectations people have for him because he's a Skywalker*. IDK....just my idea.

EDIT: Not to mention a ton of sith/imperials/whatever will probably target you to
    A) Get revenge on Luke
    and
    B) They will probably try to turn you to the dark side because you are most likely a powerful force user * being the child of Luke Skywalker and grandchild of Darth Vader and all*

Clearly the child of Luke Skywalker will have the best life ever ;)

5. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I really loved Legacy, but I never really thought the complete arc "mirrored" that of any of the Star Wars trilogies. It felt like its own. I loved it because of that. But Kade being a middle ground is a great point!

6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I want to see some mirroring. I think it worked great between the OT and PT. That said, I want to see new and creative things. But I think having Luke as a mentor type in VII (perhaps slain by the main villain to return as a Force Ghost) could work well, among other mirroring.

Imagine the development of a villain able to defeat Luke Skywalker. It would give him instant street cred, especially if portrayed well.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since 1-3 mirror 4-6, it is only logical that we will recognize a lot of ideas and elements from 10-12 while watching 7-9...

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think that depends on how he would defeat him. If there is one thing that George Lucas and the EU agree on it's that Luke is a total badass, and the most powerful force user ever.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    It also deals with something that hasn't really been done in Star Wars which is the idea of the reluctant hero. They dabbled with it slightly with Luke, and somewhat with Han.

But I think its an interesting archetype that could be really explored for the next trilogy.

Personally, I think a good archetype that would fit well into Star Wars is the idea of the duty bound soldier. It would be a good archetype to balance out the Skywalker/Solo offspring.

Episode Swag and Julius Vernon like this.
  10. garrwars

garrwars Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2011
    To me, it would make sense for 7-9 to be a tragedy like 1-3 and then have 10-12 be like 4-5, but they probably won't do that because of people distaste for the prequels.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I actually think Luke will last until IX and we'll have a new character fulfill the mentor role. Anakin has a six film arc and so should Luke.

Episode Swag and Julius Vernon like this.
  12. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    The films tend to mirror Lucas' own life in many ways. It could be interesting to see Luke hand over his legacy (as the head Jedi) to his younger apprentice. Passing the torch to a new, younger generation who have grown up in a world torn apart by war and with a Galaxy that is struggling with its identity.

Turn the questions we have (i.e. what happens next? what is the Jedi order like or alternatively WHAT should it be like? Revitalised or carrying on the traditions of the old order - heck you could have two fractions of Jedi each with different values and views on the past which mirror the fan base and the OT/PT divide) into questions that the FILM asks of its characters.

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    No! The whole mirroring thing is probably the worst aspect of the PT (I'd rank it above the love story dialogue in terms of badness) if you ask me. I want to be able to go into Episodes VII - IX and have absolutely no clue what's about to happen.

Darth_Cornish likes this.
  14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    You really think losing a Skywalker child losing hand in Episode VIII is going to ruin your experience? :p

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Well if its mirroring Lucas's own life, then Luke will have an adopted child.

16. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I like that actually.

17. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Luke's death/sacrifice leads to the ascension of the new hero.

"True, but parents have to die. It's the only way children can come into their own. " -- BSG

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No. Just make some good movies.

19. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know about 'mirroring' but GL talks about the movies 'rhyming' in one of the Making Of docos. So I would expect the next ones to 'rhyme' as well.

Anyone remember what this quote was from?

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, let's just hope they rhyme to a better tune than the prequels.

Darth_Cornish likes this.
  21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I think the rebellion (now the restored republic) should build a space station with enough destructive power to destroy a planet, then threaten anyone who refuses to be a part of the new republic. It would be a reign of terror for... good?

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The ST should be closer to the OT than the PT (in my opinion).
    I want to see Moffs, Star Destroyers, TIEs, X-Wings...

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree but I think it will be much better served if it happens in Episode IX. It's common that at the end of the story the hero loses his mentor/father figure and must confront the final obstacle on his own. In Episode III we have both Obi-Wan and Yoda leave on missions leaving Anakin to confront Palpatine on his own (he fails) and in Episode VI we have Yoda dying leaving Luke to confront Vader and the Emperor on his own (he succeeds). I think Luke's death would have some much more resonance if it happens in IX and is the ultimate low point for our heroes but also propels them to confront the big bad. Just my opinion though.