main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mirrors in the PT: Do you enjoy this?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    A lot of people who criticize the prequels write their own sloppily written versions of how they would have made them.

In my experience these awful fanfictions do not mirror the OT at all. So these people who dislike the PT wanted something completely fresh?

I personally enjoy the PT mirroring the OT very much. I love comparing the two trilogies and the actions of the characters that correspond or follow different paths. To me, its interesting and thought provoking. Not only that, I feel it is a staple of the Original Saga of Star Wars.

What do you guys think?

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Mirroring in Star Wars is insatiable and non-stop.

This site gives a neat helping of merely *some* examples:

http://starwarsverses.tumblr.com/

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

There are some lovely pics from the entire saga on this site.

Cryogenic likes this.
  4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Why would fans NOT enjoy that? It's not like they were thrusted in front of our faces; it was done subtley. It doesn't interfere with the film, but it's something that the keen fan can distinguish.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Why not? I love the little nods to the original. Like Boba/Jango Vadar/Grevious etc.

6. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    It just seems that a fair amount of people who hate the PT don't understand this concept at all, their vision of a PT would null the mirroring concept.

One example, a fair few wanted the story to have Anakin as a teen jedi. This does not mirror with Luke at all. Having Anakin being found on Tatooine creates a beginning for the series. Having him already be a jedi is something that works better in a sequel.
    ------
    Then there are those who hate how we don't see Anakin learning as a Jedi. Its because the path of the jedi is boring as hell. There is not much drama in listening to Yoda drawl on for more than he did in ESB. The PT shows us some of the most dramatic events that Anakin went through. I don't think random battles in the clone wars or lightsaber training would be very thrilling stuff.

------

I truly LOVE the mirrors in the original saga. Its brilliant, and sometimes I notice tiny mirrors that you have to really look for. But of course people are too busy quoting Terrance Stamp saying GL isn't an actor's director....

I really feel the recurring themes and challenges that both trilogies present makes the original saga timeless. Not many movies do this. It makes star wars more than just a blockbuster.

7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    my problem with the mirrors is that we were bombarded by them. I wanted to see something original. apparently I'm alone in that?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    It is difficult to tell.

9. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the true test will be if the ST comes out and it starts blowing away, (or starts being blown away by,) the PT. Either the Haters or the Apologists are going to gain some pretty large momentum with the ST's popular performance. I think the angle of most reviewers will be to compare the ST to the PT as a way of clarifying in one phrase how good the movies are; "better than, but not by much" "as bad as" "way better than" (I doubt it is possible that there will be reviews that are "worse than" but I'll include it for the sake of being complete.) I don't think that there will be reviewers that don't take a shot at the PT, and I think a lot of that is because of the mirroring, (poetry in GL's words,) that either sunk or enhanced, (depending on how you felt about it,) those movies.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    How?

If anything the PT too original for older fans.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't care much for mirroring. I care for characters, dramaturgy, setting and meaning.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I do like the way the Dooku/Anakin battle in Ep III mirrors the Vader/Luke battle in Jedi.

Force Smuggler and Cryogenic like this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Of course I enjoyed it. The mirroring techniques help in developing theme, and theme builds meaningful characterization and settings.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I like the literal mirroring in Episode I: mirrored ships, weapons, helmets, etc.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I wanted to see the orbital mirrors we kept hearing about.

Cryogenic likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked the mirroring. It wasn't too obvious nor was it too subtle.

Darth Chiznuk , Samnz and Seagoat like this.
  18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Oh Lord, the comments on that video made me lose a few brain cells. They're all Plinkett zombies.

Samnz likes this.
  19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    "Plinkett Zombies" are your fellow Star Wars fans. If they came to this board and claimed to lose brain cells from reading your comments, they would be banned.

20. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    They would be banned if they repeatedly flamed people or made useless troll topics.

-----------
    I wonder if people thought qui-gon was going to die immediately in episode I. did people know of GL's mirroring concept before the film came out?

21. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure (refuse to read YouTube comments for years) SlashMan refered to individuals unaware of the most basic rules of respect (towards others and their work/opinion etc.) and civilized interpersonal contact. Even if they were fans of 10% of Star Wars, I'd refuse to call them "fellow" because that would suggest some sort of association that I don't feel.

Personally, I appreciate the mirrors a lot. It makes the impact of choices much more prominent if you get to see (in part vastly) different outcomes of very similiar situations. In a lot of ways it highlights the similarities as well as the pivotal differences between the characters.
    However, by now, I'm (even) more interested in visual patterns and inversions between the movies. That's in a way what I like the most about the PT. It seems vastly different from the OT on first view - different characters, different era of society, different systems, a lot more formality, different location - yet there are numerous connections and repititions and variantions that aren't that obvious but simply beautiful, imo.
    In some way it's this "resemling contrast" that makes Star Wars superior to many, many other film franchises for me.

Cryogenic and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    They are fans of Star Wars. Not liking it, not accepting it doesn't make it less true.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Star Wars fans are not a homogenous group. We all have our own sensibilities.

KilroyMcFadden and Seagoat like this.
  24. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Whether or not they are fans is unknown to us. I don't see many of them talking about how much they love the original trilogy, many comments I see are them talking about how much they love Red Letter Media.
    ------
    I feel the mirroring aspect of the Original saga elevates it above modern film franchises that compete with star wars.

The hobbit part 1 has tried doing this to mirror with lord of the rings but it failed spectacularly.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It only made like a billion dollars. That's a whole new definition of failure.

BoromirsFan likes this.