main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am more worried about LFL and their current policy on the EU, do whatever the heck they want, even at the expense of older licensed work, only to completely change it around on a whim at a later date, as demonstrated by TCW, than I am about Michael Arndt and J.J. Abrams, and this is coming from someone who knows nothing about Arndt and is scared of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness because they look more like a science fiction action movie than anything resembling Star Trek.

Esg likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    *looks up Jennifer Lawrence

Yeah, she's definitely more of a Tahiri.

... shut up, I haven't seen The Hunger Games.

3. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Tahiri you say?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now what do you say?

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I say that I'm not sure who the one on the bottom is supposed to be :p. Haven't read LOTF yet.

5. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Tenal Ka...Young Jedi Knights? One arm? Super badass?

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Everyone knows that IF they cast Jaina, Jag, Tahiri, Tenel Ka.... the characters will be the same age that Darth Vader was in the OT, right?
    (assuming it's only a few years after FOTJ)

7. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Personally I didn't like it. I will praise the skills of a lot of the actors in really fitting the characters they were playing with particular emphasis on Zachary Quinto, but the overall film itself didn't feel at all Star Trek to me. To be fair to Abrams, the majority of Star Trek films don't feel at all akin to their television counterparts with the TNG films being very noticeable in this regard. Abrams film in particular though felt very much like a space war film and not the science fiction that most of the series were.

8. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    that's making a lot of assumptions though
    Like assuming they will use those characters at the appropriate age/time.
    Or assuming they will use those EU characters at all, and not make up completely new ones

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I feel like an idiot for not knowing she only had one arm. Shows how much I appreciated the Hapan sections then.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Making them the same age Darth Vader "was in the OT" actually raises more questions than you might first think:

Which Darth Vader?

Because in the OT thirty years ago, the idea was for him to have been much older than the PT retconned his backstory. So, actually, if you went with the principle originally intended in the OT itself, it'd mean more like thirty or forty years later.

So "the age DV was" actually isn't as simple an idea as it sounds, as there's two entirely different ideas that might have been going through Lucas's mind when he wrote his ST outlines: a Luke Skywalker who was Sebastian Shaw's age, or a Luke Skywalker who was only a 40 year old Hayden Christensen.

Regardless of the EU, the question depends on when Lucas would have expected Han and Leia to have kids. Is he the kind of guy who'd have expected Leia to get pregnant on Endor during the victory party? Because that's what you'd need to have happen for them to only have the same gap as the PT-to-OT.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'm going to start trying to make peace with the sequel trilogy possibly negating parts of the post-ROTJ EU as I fully expect that to happen. Lucas rarely minded contradicting it for his own stories, I'm not sure I expect Disney to be much different.

Looking forward to Abrams directing, though. He made no secret of his SW fandom when he was interviewing about Trek and Super 8 certainly indicated a passion for the 70s and 80s sci-fi nostalgia. I can certainly see him honoring the original trilogy and making it fit those films style and feel, maybe even better than the prequels did.

In a way, it's both a sequel and a prequel. It's a prequel in that it takes place when the original crew were all young before the time period of the series. It's an alternate universe, though, created when Old Spock and the giant Romulan ship go back in time. So, though old Spock is from the previous Trek universe and that's all the past for him, this is a new Trek universe with a different path for it.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, it's still a sequel in the sense that Biff would never have become a millionaire had the original timeline not happened and Marty never met the Doc and left the original future's Almanac in 1955.

Abram's Trek is basically Millionaire Biff timeline.

Valin__Kenobi and CooperTFN like this.
  13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Millionaire Biff timeline if the original 1985 wasn't also negated. The idea seems to be that both timelines remain intact.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't even feel like a true Star Wars fan anymore, I feel like a fan of a completely different Star Wars, because the Clone Wars is being redone when I was happy where I was, and the direction the post-NJO has been taken is so depressing, that I have no interest in the time period. Most of the novels from last year I am interested in reading, but the way the Clone Wars multimedia project has been treated makes me not even want to invest myself in the EU if something like TCW is just going to come along and completely change it.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  15. Darth Balls

Darth Balls Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2013
    What's this about Clone Wars being redone? I saw the movie but don't follow the series.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's enough to make a guy regret buying all those books in the first place.

Oh wait, you didn't. :p

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's honestly why I'm okay with the idea of the new movies doing their own thing. The post-NJO time period is what it is, but I don't think it deserves to be the definite answer of what happens to the characters from the original Star Wars movies. A year ago I would have been completely opposed to the idea of splitting canon, but I am becoming more open to the idea.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The storyline went the way I wouldn't have wanted before I was born, so... I'm not all that fussed. :p

But seriously though, I'm only mildly concerned about what they'll do with post-NJO stuff. We'll learn more in time. Until then, I won't bother worrying.

fistofan1 likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I want the ST to ignore the post-NJO too, but my gut feeling is the last minute Mortis curveball in Apocalypse is an intentional setup for Mortis to show up in the ST, which would probably kill the ST for me.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I would actually object more to them chopping the EU in half around the NJO than just doing their own thing entirely. If we're getting stuck with two universes anyway, better to just leave all existing EU in one, and bring stuff over into the ST on a case-by-case basis. The relationship between the EU and the movies could be like Infinities was with the EU - canon if not contradicted, noncanon otherwise.

Plus then there'd at least be room to do "Ultimate" versions of some of the negated material down the line - even if the Solo kids went out the window altogether, some version of TTT, BFC, NJO, etc could still have happened in the ST universe, but they'd remain untouched in the EU universe either way.

Your gut has the timeline of the Disney deal drastically wrong.

DelRiego likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But it does seemingly correspond with Lucas ruminating for the last however many years about a Sequel Trilogy... in which he personally created Mortis.

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd be fine with that as well. I know many are wanting Mara, Thrawn, and other things to carry over to the ST, but I'd be fine with the ST being one account of what happens after ROTJ, with the Thrawn trilogy/NJO being another. As I've said a few times, if there's one area of Star Wars that deserves multiple creative interpretations, it's what happens following the OT.

Thing is, at that point I'd really rather ditch the idea that there's only one canon timeline, everything else "didn't happen". Even if the ST overrides pretty much everything, there's still plenty of set up for later events earlier in the timeline, most notably Outbound Flight and other early Zahn short stories. Seems disrespectful to just cross a big red line through everything that came before.

Of course, arguing whether TTT and beyond should be "alternate canon" or "non canon" is really just arguing semantics. If the ST takes the bulldozer route, I think the best thing to do would be to write an "ending" to this iteration of the post-ROTJ EU, then start a new line coinciding with whatever the ST decides to do.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Splinter of the Minds Eye foreword (in reprints) did say the movies were the "middle" of a series.

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I'd rather they just axe it all than pick some arbitrary before-and-after date.

Conversely, I'm not as fussed if they just copy TCW and it's just a gradual erosion, simply because none of the EU I have enjoyed the most hasn't been eroded over the years anyway (see TOTJ) so I'm more understanding of that.

But, like I mentioned elsewhere the other day, I very much foresee any reboot not being fuelled by the same EU we have enjoyed: it'd instead be built off video games, cartoon shows and spin-off feature films. Like all movie tie-ins, it would be a new audiovisual EU for the mass market, who'd rather play games than read books. So when that happened (when, not if, as I have zero faith in a rebooted EU being led by literature as books would not be given precedence over video games and spin-off shows) I'd rather the old "literary EU" just remained its own thing and just be archived as it is.

Which is why my interest is very much based on them not rebooting, as I doubt I'll stay interested if they just reboot and the EU becomes filled with TFU-style mass market multimedia works.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Mortis was Lucas's baby. With him out of the picture, the odds of something so stupid showing up again are sharply reduced.

I hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.