main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.15 - Shades of Reason - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    My feeling is that movie themes are inseparably linked to the characters, relationships and events of the movies. Transplanting themes shouldn't be done casually. Little references here and there are fine, taking inspiration is great, but dropping in the whole of Leia's theme or Luke's theme apropos of nothing would be tasteless.

07jonesj likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Exactly. The small snippet of Leia's Theme we got when travelling to Alderaan was fantastic. I think not featuring Williams' music often makes us appreciate it more when it finally appears.

MistrX and V-2 like this.
  3. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013

I think I heard the Vader theme music during season 3, episode 15 or so when Anakin, Kenobi, and Asoka, are in this secret island or I mean planet with the Father, Son, and Daughter, when Anakin is told that he will become Vader.

4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Next up, the worst fanfic in history: 50 Shades of Reason.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    But when he choked Motti he did. So that's just habit I guess.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, THAT choke was all about putting on a disturbing show. :p

7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    What a neato title though *scribbles it down*

2 more days to go.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Shades of Reason already has the makings of a terrible fan fic. Add every character ****ing every other character at some point, and a few fights over who ****ed whom when, and you have Naru's suggestion.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I FINALLY just got to see this. Now I have to go back and reread what I missed so I don't reiterate a conversation people have already had five times.

But.... oh Satine. How can you be so stupid? I mean, I want to like you, but you've got absolutely no tact. You're playing Padme-politics. You thinking pointing at someone and denouncing them as corrupt is simply going to solve everything? Your finger's not a wand and "corruption" doesn't sound like "Avada Kedavra".

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm left wondering why Mandalorian security would be surprised that there were gangsters on board ships emblazoned with the Black Sun logo.

I'm also finding it increasingly ironic that the Mandalorians, once a widely multiracial and species diverse culture, is now comprised solely of white people with blond hair and blue eyes.

the other thing that I am really annoyed with is Bo Katan's face. How overdone can you get on the animation? Everytime she speaks, her whole face seems to wobble and contort like she's in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon.

I will say that I loved the scene between Almec and Satine. The guy comes across a lot more savvy than the Scooby Doo villain from season 3. He had good chemistry with Satine in that scene, with the clash of idealism versus pragmatism. Just never mention corruption again.

Putting two Sith Lords in the same prison cell unchained = bad idea.
    Putting two Sith Lords in the same prison cell unchained and apparently made of glass = monumentally stupid idea.

ALMEC NEVER MURDERED CHILDREN. There was never a plot to poison children! For god's sake, the smugglers even pointed out to them that overdosing on the additive was toxic! They didn't do anything wrong, they just delivered the damn stuff and made sure to warn the receivers of the dangers! And then Satine burned all the evidence that would say otherwise! God, stop reminding me of those episodes.

Witwer trying to extend his range beyond testicle vice grips, doesn't really go so well. RRRRRRRIIIIIICHAAAAAAALLLLEEEEENNNGERRRRRRYOOOOOOOU!

As for all of you talking about how good that lightsaber fight was? Because you didn't see any "attack, block, attack, lock swords" crap? It's not as good as you think. The thing that saves this fight from being mediocre is because, rather than being lazy and holding to one shot for too long, letting the limitations of their animation shine through, this one is edited like crazy. There are maybe two shots in the whole fight that last longer than a second, and wouldn't you know it, those two shots feature "attack, block, attack, lock swords".

They've traded too little editing for too much. It's next to impossible to appreciate any impact from the fight because the whole thing is cut way too fast to follow. It's a blur of images that doesn't come out cohesive, it's just a mess.

Also, since when has there ever been a rule that whoever kills Mandalore becomes the new one? Pre Viszla accepting that Maul was the stronger makes sense from a Mandalorian perspective, but as a new leader? Revan never became Mandalore after he killed the Ultimate. They fractured and fell apart into the clans.

This is more in line with Mandalore the Lesser, the puppet agent put in place by the Sith Empire. A Mandalore in name only, not the true leader of their people in the slightest.

11. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's Sundari. They don't get out much.

They're New Mandalorians. They don't get out much.

On a much more serious note, the decision to turn Almec's actions in the Season 3 duology into standard two-dimensional villainy is what bothered me far more than any magic hologram analyzer or bothersome dialogue. Satine's policies do not work, and it's repeatedly shown. She can't keep her people safe from harm because she won't fight; she can't keep her people fed and healthy because she wants to be so isolationist. Almec was being the pragmatist, willing dipping into the dirty work that allowed Satine to sit on her throne and preach empty platitudes of pacifism and sunshine. He was the reason the people, apparently starving as they were, didn't storm the palace years earlier and lynch their corrupt monarch, who was more willing to spend money on confetti and banquets for offworld dignitaries than food for her people. I'm sorry, but he's kind of a hero to the New Mandalorian people, and I'm more than happy to see Satine replaced by the guy.

12. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Accepting non Mandalorian help? This guy wants to destroy our people!

(See previous mention of Mandalorians as multiracial, multi species culture)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Done casually, like when Anakin and Tarkin shook hands and the Imperial March broke out :p

Though I can't see Palpatine without the Emperor theme or Vader without the Imp march or when Anakin does something good and they break out that little redemptive theme from when he turns on the Emperor in RTJ.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I liked how much of the Sundari Royal Palace this episode showcased.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW plays the Imperial March every time Anakin takes a ****. It's gotten ridiculous.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The worst part about this episode is Vizsla's attempt at a war-cry. He sounds like a little kid, and then his voice cracks. It's the most wimpy war-cry ever.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Was it any worse than Maul's war cry?

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  20. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Aw I'd forgotten about that, poor Ash.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Actually I forgot to mention I didn't like Darth Maul's either because it was too much like Savage Opress' ROAR in the previous episode, and I felt only Savage should do that since he's a monster. But no, I didn't think that was actually worse than Vizsla's.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    TCW pacifists are like the Lurmen.