main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Obi-Wan in TCW Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, EU is EU. For you with your Satine fascination, anyone that "hurts" her will be a bad 'un in your opinion and opinions are just that, so what am I to say? I will say no one, including Obi-Wan, always does the "proper" thing (assuming staying with a woman is "wrong") - it just makes him human.

If he didn't look at the greater good, he'd be another Anakin/Vader who would sacrifice many for one and he'd be a selfish man to boot. I wouldn't like him near as well if he pulled an "Anakin."

What? The actor's look predisposes you to like or not like a character? And worse, you judge it in relation to another actor's appearance? That's - that's something I just don't see, to be kind.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I like Obi-Wan's relationship with Satine, I gotta say the little bit of flirting that goes on in the episodes with them does make the episodes better and adds a some light humour which is always good. It just shows the difference between his relationship with Satine and Anakin's relationship with Padme, which isn't as enjoyable to watch and come sometimes get a bit annoying, especially in the PT.

And by the way, be careful because some people haven't found out what happens in the next episode, I'd use spoiler tags just in case.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    1. Well, it is going to affect a bit, and that's not just about Satine. I'm a guy but I really feel he should treat women better, at least be a bit more responsible with them, either say "NO" and keep away with them or truly give them the same love they gave him.

2. I will say like most of the PT Jedi, he went another extreme way, I remember even Qui Gon mentioned a bit. They look too much at the "greater good" goal but totally ignored people emotions could not bear it sometimes. I guess we have to agree PT Jedi's fall got quite a bit to do with Anakin, but their own flaw also caused their downfall right? I will say that's one of the reasons Anakin fall to the Dark Side, of course you may have different opinion. But Luke's case is clear, sure defeat the Empire is for the greater good, defeat Vader is for the greater good as well. But he could not bear the burden to kill his own father, if he really did he would fall to the Dark Side for sure. That's what Qui Gon was talking about in the end of EP III, and that's Luke's difference with the old Jedi.

3. Actor does affect a bit. Not appearance but what they did in the movie, Qui Gon overall was much more important than Obi Wan and I like his idea better.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think it's ok until I read the Shadow Conspiracy.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Hasn't Obi-Wan been trying to protect Satine ever since day one? He would make sure nothing ever happens to her.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think he should have romance with others(like the female jedi in Karen Miller's book) at that same time, it's hurting both Satine and the other women.

And wait for next episode,
    he refused Anakin's help when Satine was in great danger, I don't like it really.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I think Taria and Satine - if both are equal canon - were NOT at the same time. Besides, he never loved Taria or she him - they were good friends "with benefits" as the book presented it. As for Satine - unless the book indicates one way or the other -who's to know just how friendly Satine and Obi-Wan got.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Other woman?

I haven't noticed Obi-wan to be in any romantic relationships. Its okay. I get your hurt. When TCW kills Rex off I can see myself having a butthurt reaction and hating on characters I think are in directly responsible. Obi-wan has been trying to protect Satine since season 2. I can only imagine he is going to try his hardest next episode. I'm sure he has his reason for not bringing Anakin along.

Please place all Shadow Conspiracy spoilers for the book in spoiler tags please..

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, he got a lot of romance in the EU, the most famous one is the Jedi Siri. Adi's padawan.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Siri_Tachi

Well
    he got no good reason, I already post the dialogue. Satine was in great danger, anything should be put away when the lover's life is in danger.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think it's better to discuss it after the episode is aired.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
  12. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    Maybe part of the reason Obi-Wan didn't want to bring Anakin along is because he was paranoid Maul would kill his former padawan just like he did his master. That's the good thing part of any epic story anyway - you can use your own creativity to mold your own conclusions. Also, if you don't like the idea that Obi-Wan has been with 2, 3, 15, 200 women, just ignore the rest of the EU and focus on Satine. Boom, problem solved.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He should believe in Anakin, and overall, Anakin is a strong Jedi and pilot, Satine is a physically weak woman and Maul brothers would not either listen or have mercy on her.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Your posts are awfully full of "Obi-Wan should have -" - I'm glad you're so certain of what exactly Obi-Wan should or should not do (benefit of 20/20 hindsight, as well) or have access to his inner thoughts as to his motivations. But perhaps this discussion should be postponed a few days and maybe you do have full access to Obi-Wan's motivations which not all of us do.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Let's wait to watch the next episode, probably the last one I'm gonna watch.]

My point is, no matter what, if he really loves Satine that much, he should put her life before these and grab whatever help he could.

16. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd actually agree with Slowpokeking in that I dislike the way Siri & Obi-Wan was handled in the EU. I think Satine & Obi-Wan has been handled much better, especially the contrast it has created with Anakin.

Anakin isn't willing to give up Padme for the Jedi Order, whereas Obi-Wan is. That sort of contrast is really enlightening for the two of them IMO.

I like Obi-Wan alot, he's one of my favourite characters in Star Wars, but the wonderful thing about being a Star Wars fan is I can pick and choose what's in my personal canon. I know the Wook likes to treat everything as canon, and I respect it for showing us what LucasFilm apparently intends, but there's no way everything in the EU meshes together.

In my canon, Satine's presence overrides Siri's.

So if you don't like something, disregard it. After all, aren't we here to have fun and enjoy some escapism? If you want to throw something out, go ahead.

17. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Fixed it for you ;)

18. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    1. What is wrong with the way he treats them? He never hides the fact that he is a Jedi and therefore cannot have a relationship with them that goes deeper than friendship; he never promised them more than he could give. His relationship with Satine is actually unique from the other romances in that he was willing to leave the Jedi if she had “said the word”, but she didn’t, most likely because she recognised that her duty to her people and Obi-Wan’s duty to the Jedi would have to come first. When they meet years later Satine admits that she still loves him but even then she doesn’t ask him to leave the Jedi for her because she knows that Obi-Wan’s duty to the republic and her duty to Mandalore is greater than ever.
    So, as 07jonesj points out, Obi-Wan and Satine’s relationship is a great contrast to Anakin and Padmé’s, because unlike the latter they are ready to sacrifice anything – even their own personal happiness – for the sake of others.

2. No he wasn’t. When Luke and Yoda discuss Vader in RotJ, Yoda stresses that it’s not unfortunate that Luke knows the truth, but that he learned it before he was ready to carry the burden. To me that indicates that Obi-Wan and Yoda were going to tell Luke the truth when he had completed his training – and in ESB it’s very clear that they did not intend for Luke to face Vader until such time.

Slowpokeking, I too am sad about Satine’s fate, but that is something that is decided by the writers, not the fictional characters: Obi-Wan could have brought Anakin and the entire Jedi Council and it still wouldn’t have changed her fate.

Eryndil, Valairy Scot, Seerow and 2 others like this.
  19. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Your comment had me Taken, as in Liam Neeson Taken. Not to be confused with Bond, James Bond. I really want to interview people who have seen the six Star Wars films in order. Did you know Anakin was going to turn in Darth Vader before the Revenge of the Sith? I hope I didn't ruin that if you have not seen that part yet. It would seem that everybody knows who Vader is by now, unless if you live in a jungle with the Night Sisters. I really want to know what the experience is like to not know what is going on. The next Star Wars films for all of us is like the original six films for those who have never seen it before.

In the third film, Padme names her two twins, Luke & Leia. I think they should take that part out so that new viewers not know that Like and Leia were related. I say, leave out the whole scene where Padme has a baby. Just show a robot saying that Padme lost her will to survive and cut to the funeral scene. When people watch A New Hope, i want the audience to not know who Luke and Leia is. I want them to think, "Who is this girl with Cinnabun hair? Oh, there is Vader. Hello Vader, how are you? What is Vader doing? Oh, who is Luke?" And Kenobi tells Luke that Vader kills his father. And Vader does kill a bunch of people. Vader kills the jedi. So, if you have never seen it before, you could think that Vader killed his father. That would make you upset. But if you know that Luke is Vader's son, then you just have to yell at the screen, "Kenobi, stop lying.... come on..."

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Obi-Wan led Satine to believe their relationship was anything other than what it was. He felt they could not be together because his duty was to the Jedi Order, and he told her as much. What's the problem?

LOL at the "women will only accept total lifelong monogamy" assumption. You might be surprised at how many of us are accepting of other types of relationships.

Personally Taria was my favorite because of the "friends with benefits" aspect, which they were able to maintain (and enjoy) and still serve the Jedi.

He did, he just didn't believe Anakin needed to come with him on this mission.

LOL wut? Putting one person's life over the greater good of the entire galaxy isn't love, it's selfishness.

Veloz and Valairy Scot like this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    1. If he knew he's a Jedi, then he should keep distance rather than gave them hope but still shackled by the Jedi's way. He got feelings, but could not break it.

I really don't think he would really leave for Satine after I read the book,
    he didn't even try the best when she was in danger.

2. Obi Wan told Luke Vader killed his father, why? It's totally unnecessary and could only cause great mistunderstanding.
    Yes they were going to, but they were still pushing Luke to kill his father after he knew the truth, which was exactly what the Emperor wanted, if Luke really did it, he would just replace his father since there would be too much darkness required for him to kill his father.

If he really loved her that much, he should try his best and grab whatever help he could get. The council refused to do it that's fine, but Anakin was very willing to help.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then he should end this relationship rather than still make unclear of it, like calling her "My dear".

Yes I don't accept it, just like Satine didn't have that much relationship with other men.

And he was wrong, Satine paid the price with her life.

I don't mind what his decision is if he is the only one who would be affected, but that's sadly not the case.

What greater good? What does bring Anakin with him hurt any of the "greater good"?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL really? "My dear" translates to "You are my one and only love"?

Hardly.

He wasn't sending her mixed signals, and if she interpreted "my dear" as "I never want to sleep with another woman as long as I live," that's her problem, not his. Not all women are that dense, and Shadows of Reason aside, I don't think Satine was that dense. Or self-centered.

As far as the bringing Anakin, Valairy is right, you've repeated that so much that it's starting to look like spam. You still seem to be under the delusion that repeating the same point ad nauseum will sell people on your point. How's that working out for you? Have you managed to convince anyone here that
    Satine's death is all Obi-Wan's fault
    ?

You also seem a bit obsessed with Satine, but that's your business. It might help these conversations along, however, if you will recognize that at least some other posters share neither your obsession with her nor your hatred for Obi-Wan for not leaving the Order and marrying her.

Veloz and ImNotAStarWarsFanboy like this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Pretty much, I don't get where does the "I like you but you are not the only one I loved" work. Most of the women I've met dislike it like hell. Either love someone or give a clear signal of "NO". As for Satine, we don't see her hang out with other men so I think she's not very ok with having romantic relationship with more than one person.

Didn't you replied to my post and brought that "greater good" thing? Well that has nothing to do with it, I'm just telling you. We have not much to discuss further because some of you haven't read the book and Lawless is not aired yet.

I don't ask Obi Wan to marry her, either end their relationship clearly or love her and only her, he also should do it to other women.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  25. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    Isn't the whole discussion about 'Is it okay that Obi-Wan may have been in love with other women, or is it not' kinda pointless? All those other women are neither from the movies nor from the series, and since Satine is his only love in TCW, this is the only relationship that is really canon, isn't it?

And though it is ironic (imo) that Obi-Wan trying to rescue Satine is

what killed her eventually, you can't really blame him for this. He didn't know that this was exactly Maul's plan.

I agree with eukaryote about why he didn't let Anakin help him. Maul killed Qui-Gon and Savage killed Adi Gallia, so maybe he was really afraid he could lose him too. And maybe he also didn't want Anakin to get more trouble with the Jedi Council than he already has.

eukaryote likes this.