main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU vs. Films?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Got to say, blowing up that picture to that size...not very charitable to Mara's eyes...

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I believe she did that expression for too long as a child and now her face is stuck that way. For reference: Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand, in which she has the same expression in every panel.

RC-1991 likes this.
  3. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't think either side of this argument will ever be convinced to change their minds. Those that think the concept of EU continuity will end are either correct pessimists or they're stubborn pessimists. Those that think EU continuity will be respected are either correct optimists or deluded optimists.

I can agree I'm a pessimist. I just find I'm rarely wrong when assuming Murphy's Law.

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The problem is when Leia's only child Josh is still lives with his parents and Luke's eight children (3 from his first wife, 5 from his second wife) are all spoiled younglings running around Tatooine where Luke decided to set up his new Jedi Academy in a renovated Jabba's Palace.

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I think the issue here is you keep tossing out scenarios in which the EU continuity is destroyed simply because the developers of the sequels have the power to do so. That is, quite frankly, a stupid reason.

Blowing up the EU will have an economic cost. It may be minimal compared to the ultimate profit of the movies, but it is a non-zero sum of money (in fact it's probably tens of millions over the next couple of decades). Preserving the essential elements of the 4 ABY - 25 ABY EU is not difficult, barely restricts the storyline, and would cost almost nothing. A compelling argument can be made for disavowing the NJO and beyond (and this is what I rather expect will happen) but earlier material, no.

Writing something into the new films that would require major retconning of the New Republic Era is largely something that would require an act of pure maliciousness on the part of the ST developers. That is something I find hard to believe likely.

6. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I will be sincere here. In my opinion most EU Canon of post-endor era, is... bollocks. Aside from X-wing and Zhan books, the rest is just bantha poodoo.

I for one would not loose any sleep if most of the EU post-Endor was scrapped and even welcome it. I stop reading after Star Wars books after NJO (despite being like what in h... in many books before it), because the Vong mianly contradict what is said about the Force in the movies. And have become more disturbed with the EU and LotF books with the return of the Sith (more hate towards the unending battle between Jedi and Sith... oh please make it stop), the constant Galactic scale wars and Abeloth...

I hope Abrams brings a movie much like new Star Trek, no open galactic war, but small skirmishes, with villains that want something more specific rather then GALACTIC POWER AND DOMINATION (done this with bit of eco). Basically I want in these new movies a villain like Nero or Khan or the black guy from Serenity.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Real energy fields can be blocked - an electric field can be blocked by a Faraday cage.

So why not space-fantasy energy fields?

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Given the sequels are still ultimately based on Lucas's basic outline, and his most recent contributions to Star Wars have consisted of flying magic space stations filled with demigods and resurrected Sith Lords turned into crime lords, I don't think there's much prospect of the sequels, reboot or no reboot, just featuring a small scale adventure story.

Mark my words people: the sequels will manage to make the Vong War look tame. :p

9. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    And that's a bad thing?
    We need more war, just not thumb twiddling during said war about OMG, if I kill all these enemies, I will become HUGE BAD.
    War is okay, cruelty during war is okay, bloody war is okay, as long as we know who the enemy is.

ForGOD's sakes, Enemies are not people too. They deserve to become bantha poodoo.
    No sympathetic enemies. Collaborators such as joiners and Tariina Kwahiri should be shot on sight.

10. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't think it has anything to do with maliciousness. I think it is simply that it will be ignored. Supposedly the Clone Wars animated series is supposed to be "respectful" of the EU and you end up with pacifist Mandalorians. If the economic analysis of the EU is never even bothered to be done, it's not malicious.

My scenarios are not assuming the EU continuity is destroyed simply because they can do so. In my opinion, it would happen because the writers and directors never bother to even look into the EU or consider the EU any kind of constraint on the scripts. Unless the writers of the scripts are explicitly told to try to read up about and adhere to at least the major elements of the EU, then they may very well come up with completely alternate material that directly contradicts the EU. The problem is whether one believes that Kathleen Kennedy is going to explicitly order the script writers to do such a thing? Personally, I don't expert her to do so.

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]