main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    What happened with the editor who wanted to read it? *crosses fingers*

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hi Breezy! It's mostly pretty nice once you get used to it (though it does take some time to do) and we're still working on things as we go so it will only get better!

Hope all is well Dantana!

So as of today I'm officially on a HazMat team! Which means if there is any kind of chemical, biological or radiological release and/or attack in Boston, I'm one of the people who gets to wear the big suits and decontaminate people. :) (Yes, I realize I'm a total dork for being excited about that!)

LLL and Iverna like this.
  3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Thank you dear - it feels good to be 'home'... Familiar faces and all!

Being a dork about such things is quite all right! Sounds like fun actually!!

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, it's nice of you to come and appraise anyway. Today, I got a beautiful new dress in the mail. I had ordered it a couple of weeks ago when Macy's was having a sale. I put it on, walked up to my book's proofreader and announced that I couldn't wear this dress until the book was sent off to the person wanting to read it. She sighed and asked if she could borrow it in the meantime. This is not a ridiculous request, since I bought a dress that I wasn't allowed to wear until I was done with the manuscript and she borrowed that dress to goad me. I refused.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Missed this earlier. He's still interested, but I still need to get it in. The wait for my beta is killing me.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Tell her he's given you a deadline?

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I've decided I hate OpenOffice. It totally mangled the headers and footers on my manuscript. Missing page numbers at random, horizontal rules thrown in for no reason. Awful.

8. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've never liked OpenOffice. Tried it out, hated it, went back to Word. :p But for layout stuff, I'd always use PDF. Word processing software has a tendency to mess up formatting. It drove me crazy when I was doing my thesis.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My new computer doesn't have Word, and my attempts to download the trial from Microsoft's site get bounced around from one ad to another. Very frustrating. And I can't afford the full version, either. $139.99!

10. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, that sucks. Weird that it won't let you download the trial though. You could have a look for it on an external site, maybe? Sometimes it's easier when you don't go directly through the official website. I just looked at it, actually, and saw that they ask for payment info now before they'll let you download it. That sucks too. Back when I tried it out, you could just download it and work away for a month.

Software is ridiculously expensive. You could have a look on eBay though, sometimes you can get old versions of software reasonably cheap there. Office 2007 is better than 2010 anyway, at least as far as I'm concerned. :p

11. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Agreed on Office 2007 being better. Word from Office 2010 drives me nuts. :p

Iverna likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    soon there will be .dxco files, which only Word 2014 and up can read.
    and which files that you get from others will be saved as.
    Your puny old office suites are no match for the power of the New Side.

On a serious note, just download libre office and you are good to go.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't mind OpenOffice, per se, I just find the way they've set up headers and footers to be extremely aggravating.

My gallbladder surgery is scheduled for Monday morning, not sure on the time yet. They're going to call me the afternoon before and let me know. :rolleyes:

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't mind OpenOffice. Though, I don't bother with headers and footers and fancy formatting. All no-frills straight-forward writing for me, and OpenOffice does exactly what I want. If I wanted fancy formatting, I'd just build a template.

And last night, after commenting on how everyone seems to be sick, I decided to tempt fate.

And fate responded.

Digestive woes ahoy!

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So, I got word my new book is pretty much ready to be released. I'm very pleased about that. It's a romance novel, and just in time for Valentine's!

LLL, Iverna and TrakNar like this.
  16. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I've been using a plain text editor for the past decade or so and I don't think I can ever go back. txt files FTW :D

TrakNar likes this.
  17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I write my fanfic in text files, but when you're formatting manuscripts, you need something like Word.

18. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Good grief. In this situation, paying someone to do it on time might not be a bad idea. Not everybody gets a great opportunity like this one. I know a coupla good people.

Good luck!

Iverna likes this.
  19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000

Congrats, Dantana. Is it your first book? Getting any book published these days is something of a miracle. I hope it sells like hot cakes.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Nope, it's my second. And I'm self-publishing. My first is a murder mystery, which I'm working on a sequel to. It's done pretty good for self-published.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Good for you. Again, I hope it sells like hot cakes. Got a link to the first one?

22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm interested in checking out the first one as well.

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congrats Dantana Skywalker on the book!

Well, my kids had another snow day today. In the last six days they could go to school, they have only gone twice. We are expecting snow again tonight. The problem isn't the snow, it is the ice and snow. Yesterday it got to 50 degrees and it melted all the snow and we had floods. Then the temp dropped to 15 degrees Fahrenheit and it all froze. Then it snowed. So we have a sheet of ice with a few inches of snow over it. It was horrible driving conditions. My husband was very lucky. He put on the brakes when he came to an intersection and it didn't even slow him down. He slid right through the intersection against the right-of-way. Luckily there were no cars coming at the time.

What is going on with the weather!? I never had this problem in San Diego!![face_phbbbbt]

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Dantana Skywalker: I hope your books do better than mine! Last time I checked I'd sold exactly two copies.

25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats Dantana. Moosemouse, that's more copies than I've sold. I just finished my novella so I'm editing and writing emails to small publishers and agents, though I am not expecting much. I think I may go the ebook self-publishing route too - especially for this novella. If it was a novel I'd probably try harder at the traditional route, but I really have no hope with a novella of such bizarre and controversial subject matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.