main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just got to Part 2. I plan to finish the book either tomorrow or Tuesday. Most likely Tuesday.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I see. Have fun! Ha ha lol

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I finished AMOL!
    Reading two books at once is time consuming.

Rogue...Jedi and NYCitygurl like this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I haven't read a good book since the second novel in Brent Weeks's Lightbringer series. I've been disappointed by most of the books I read in 2012 (Abe Lincoln: Vamp Hunter, Hunger Games books 2 and 3, Dance with Dragons).

Someone please recommend me something awesome. I have a Nook that's just sitting here collecting dust.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Have you read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson?

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    might i recommend a song of ice and fire by george rr martin?

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    No.

But I recommend Room by Emma Donoghue. It's not that often anymore that a book keeps me up all night.

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually im really into this little indie author right now, maybe you've heard of him - james raoul ragnarok tolkien? anyone?

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I recently found out that the Twilight movies were actually based on books.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Re-reading The Other End of Time, book 1 in Frederik Pohl's Eschaton Trilogy. I've had the second and final books in the reading pile for years (they came out in the 1990s). I read the first one ages ago so I need a re-read to prepare for books 2 & 3.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That would be A Dance with Dragons. The question is did Ezio start with ADWD? If he did, it might explain why he didn't like it very much. You really to start at the beginning with Game of Thrones, otherwise you'll have no idea what's going on and be totally lost.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    naw dawg "game of thrones" is that HBO joint with all the tah-tahs and cgi dragons that dont do anything and whatnot

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'House of the Spirits' by Isabel Allende, very beautiful prose and excellent characters but it hits weakness when it fails to really define the bounds between the spiritualism and the real in this mystical setting

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've read a sample of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings and it didn't grip me. But I'm presently downloading a free sample of Mistborn onto the Nook to check it out.

Sample downloading as we speak.
    Sadly, I find myself unable to get sucked into Tolkien's writing. While I love the LotR films, the books are another matter. I've had all three books since childhood but have been unable to finish any of them. Something about his writing style just doesn't draw me in.

I probably will be making even less friends here with what I'm about to say (especially so soon after admitting that I don't care too much for Tolkien), but I have indeed been reading a Song of Ice and Fire since A Game of Thrones. A Dance with Dragons wasn't as disappointing as a Feast for Crows, and though a lot happened, I felt that it should have been named "A Flailing Tumble of Dragons."

Perhaps I was just too excited for it and the title itself really gave me high hopes for what Danaerys might accomplish.

Anyway, in addition to the recommended books, I'm curious about the Wheel of Time series. I've downloaded the sample for the first book but, unfortunately, the Nook free sample only includes the table of contents without the actual first chapter. Yeesh.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    realtalk LotR and the hobbit were the first "chapter books" i ever read as a tender whelp.but yeah his style is dry as fudge. terry brooks is another epic fantasy dude with snore-worthy writing. robert jordan, however, is pretty good at his craft. WoT is legit well-written

if you havent read the Name of the Wind and the Wise Man's Fear (first two parts of the as-yet incomplete King Killer Chronicle), that's pretty much the best written, most engrossing high fantasy on the market right now

fresh as heck

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart & Caitlin Stuart

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I'll get on downloading a sample of this, too.

My younger brother used to read Terry Brooks's Shannara novels so I decided to give the first book a try a few years back. The story was so painfully predictable and typical for the fantasy genre ("an old evil rising, the established order of wizards is failing, who will saaaave uuuuus?"). I also didn't care for his novelization of The Phantom Menace. But then again, the best prequel novelization I read was Matt Stover's RotS. The writing and dialogue in that novel was quite engrossing.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ezio--you're giving Mistborn and WoT a try and don't care for Tolkien or Martin? Hi, I'm Nat. We're going to be friends :D

I paused my WoT reading to give Beautiful Creatures a try (the one with the awful-looking movie coming out). A hundred pages in, it's not fabulous, but it's keping my attention.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Uh, well, I actually do like the Song of Ice and Fire series. I enjoy Martin's writing. I just find myself not being entirely fond of where the past two books have gone...just the slow, pointless pacing is what's getting to me. We're, what, 5, 6 books in and all that keeps recurring is a theme of "good guys lose, good guys lose some more, and then good guys die and then die again--but wait! It looks like the good guys might accomplish something...ha! Tricked ya! Good guys died again!"

Obviously it's more complicated than that, but that's kind of a generalized summary.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Well, we can still be friends :p

I read Game of Thrones and liked it okay, but it wasn't the be-all that some people talk it up as (I say as I talk up Sanderson :p ). I didn't love it enough to NEED the next book, so I figure I'll wait until they're all out.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I finished Bread Givers, and I have to say that it had a rather negative ending. It was also incredibly melodramatic which I was not too fond of. I also read through a second time Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own for my Women's Lit class. Ugh it's still dry and incoherent. I think her main argument is brilliant, but she takes forever on trying to formulate around it.

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Jared Diamond's "Third Chimpanzee". Loving it so far!

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dissin' on A Room of One's Own?

[​IMG]

:p

I really like that dry, meandering style, but that's probably a preference thing.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Quite depressing wasn't it?