main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sam Witwer "Karen Traviss, She Didn't Get Everything Right"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Robimus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    No way we would. "Pellaeon in battle" and "a blaze of glory" in the same sentence? How's that unoriginal?

CT-867-5309, Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He should have gone out in a blaze of cowardice.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah that would have been stupid. Dude was like a thousand years old, you don't have to murder him to kill him off. Let's think outside the box here.

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    He could have had a heart attack while Tahiri was threatening him.
    But stroke in battle on the bridge is okay too.

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I took a snarky stab at Order 66, but in the interest of providing balance to the force I'll also add that Triple Zero was the last Star Wars novel I got into in a manner beyond "junky nostalgia kick."

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    A story actually acknowledge old age for a change? You ask the impossible. :p

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    "Sound the retreat! Flee for our-"

*BLAM*

Vialco and Zorrixor like this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Didn't you hear? 100 is the new 60.

fett 4, RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    People have heart attacks at 60 :p

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Something had to shove Ben off the path of becoming Darth Caedus's Sith Apprentice.

11. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    At least Witwer knows what he is talking about. His opinions may be controversial, but it is clear he actually knows some Star Wars.

So he is at least allowed to say what he thinks because he has thought about what he is saying.

Sinrebirth and rumsmuggler like this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    According to Lucas the dark side is not literally a corruption of the Force but a natural part of it ( though the ROTJ novel, from Luke's POV, calls Sith lightning a corruption of the Force ). It could be that the overall Force is considered "neutral" by virtue of having two sides which align generally with good and evil respectively.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    His comments are not "maybe controversial," they are pretty much the definition of ***kissing. :p

Now Witwer will join Filoni in a Google+ meeting according to TFN...

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Well, I doubt I'm the only one who prefers the TCW Mandos to the ones from the novels. I felt they failed to live up to the awesome saga written up by Abel G. Pena. They kind of stopped being the legendary Mandalorians that made the armor cool and became Klingon knock-offs.

So I don't consider it as Witwer kissing up; I consider it as something better from TCW overtaking inferior product.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    One, I'd be interested in seeing an example of someone agreeing with Lucas that you wouldn't consider to be ass-kissing.

Two, as this thread has discussed already, we're not even totally sure that he is agreeing with Lucas.

16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Nice to see an actor who is well-versed in the SW EU! I never thought KT's idea of Order 66 made any sense and Witwer raises a very good point when he mentions that the clones addressed Palpatine as "my lord" (and KT could've asked what Order 66 entailed). I don't believe the clones were brainwashed though.

EDIT: No, godisawesome, you're not the only one to prefer the TCW Mandalorians.

godisawesome likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    To be fair to both GGrievous and JUNO! boy, I doubt even Lucas himself knows when someone is agreeing with him. :p

18. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    Remember that the clones, according to Lama Su, were " totally obedient", would "follow any order without question" and had been genetically modified to be "less independent than the original host [Jango Fett]." The only regret we see from Cody in the ROTS novelization is that he handed Obi-Wan's lightsaber back to him.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I need to look outside of Lucas's "yes men." I'll have a response in 30 years.

Not only do I see him dismissing Traviss, he's endorsing Lucas/Filoni's views of Order 66, Mandalore, ect at the same time. It'll be hard to see any negative comments from people involved with TCW, including Witwer.

Esg likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sales pitch.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If Lucas were a more thoughtful, consistent writer, the "my lord" thing would definitely be a good point, but as it is, I think it's just Lucas trying to make the scene more dramatic. Not only is there precedent for all sorts of unusual formalities being used in the saga and therefore no reason to conflate "my lord" with knowledge of the Sith, but if you're going purely by a faithful analysis of what the movie actually shows, there's also the matter of Palpatine addressing Cody personally. Is Sam under the impression that he's calling every single Clone Commander one by one?

What's more, I doubt he gives a crap what Sam Witwer thinks about it. [face_talk_hand]

Has Filoni actually gone on record on the brainwashing thing? Not contesting you necessarily; I'm honestly not sure. Like I said earlier, I have a hard time seeing the show not have someone disobey--or at least stress out over it for a minute.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    To my knowledge, Filoni did briefly mention Order 66 in an interview and I remember others, including myself, "raging" about the idea of brainwashed clones. I could go through the TV forum to find the thread (IIRC the source was posted there).

Esg likes this.
  23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "Can I get a refund if they don't do what I tell them?"
    Well obviously the Chancellor called in sick that day and spent all night making three million phone calls. Duh. I thought everyone thought that?

And before anyone complains about there being more than three million clones, fine, he called in sick all week and was making three hundred million phone calls.
    Yeah, for sheer melodrama I'm sure they'll have at least Rex think about it, even if he obviously ends up going "Long live the Empire!" ten seconds later.

Fairly boring television if you just call the dude and he starts shooting. Worked in ROTS, but then we didn't have any clue who this Cody person was, so wouldn't even have cared if he had questioned it.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    Nope. The order had already been placed and the first batches were ready for delivery. Totally obedient clones was exactly what Sidious needed to implement his plans and to exact revenge on the Jedi so it's hardly surprising that the order would've stipulated that.

25. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    No, but that he took care to contact Clone Commanders in the field under the command of a Jedi Council member. That would make sense.