main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Especially considering that the DSI was in the works when the Republic was still in existence, and thus long before Dac was the foundry of the Rebellion - a single, horribly devastating blow is a grander-seeming victory than getting bogged down in a nasty war of attrition, which is what an invasion of Mon Cal space would have turned into. Furthermore, in a sense Palpatine needed those shipyards up and running - how else was he going to justify continued expansion of the Imperial fleet?

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    There's a new SWTOR trailer with some new scenes (at least I think those scenes are new, not entirely sure) of what looks like the Hutt fleet? Only a brief faraway glance, but there was a clear shot of a floating warship/carrier (who knows what), that somewhat resembles Jabba's sail barge but with plenty of guns on it. Kind of like what we see in the Warfare guide from the post-NJO Hutts. SWTOR hasn't been that great with fleet battles (definitely none on the same scale as KotOR I or II or even Mass Effect 1), but interested in seeing more Hutt ships with them as the new antagonists. Even if it turns out to be another case of ripping off OT or post-OT designs that will now be retconned as based on "ancient" designs.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

Looks more like a floating fortress, not really a space ship. :)

Pirates like he did before the Rebellion.

Cronal likes this.
  4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, though I am curious to see the military assets we might see from the Hutts here :) That giant sail barge looks neat though. Looks very.... Huttish.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The impression that I got from the trailer is that the Hutts were using mercenaries as their military might. Fairly standard for Hutts, though these mercenaries seem a lot more professional than their usual employees.

Though, in addition to the floating fortress we did briefly see some warships that looked like Hutts designs orbiting the planet. The fighters look to be the same type used by the Ord Mantel Separatists.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Those are Azalus-class Hutt dreadnaughts, alright. I like the giant floating fortress. As well as the Hutts' surprisingly uniform forces. They might be mercenaries, but they're not like the rabble Jabba keeps around.

7. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I seem to recall that Separatist remnants and the Hutts were a more pressing issue in the early years of the Empire. There was also the justification of securing the galaxy against extragalactic invasion, but that would have required instilling quite a bit of obedient paranoia in the Imperial citizenry (not that Palpatine was any slouch at that, but at least the average citizen didn't have to be convinced that the CIS, Hutts, or Rebels existed as a prerequisite). Pirate activity isn't the best justification for a force of 25,000 or more ISDs. An insurrectionist world turning out capital ships capable of challenging the Imperial battle line, however ... might as well leave that be until your Galactic Colossus, Nova Destructor, or Nostril of Palpatine is ready for action.

8. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    If this JJ Abrams thing turns out to be true ISD's might suddenly double in size for the new movies;)

well here's to hoping we see some new ships in 2015

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes Pirates as I said :p Just because they are Raiders doesn’t mean they don’t have surprising amounts of firepower, can cause alarming amounts of damage or actually be politically motivated, the Rebels are pretty piratical in many ways and as WEG mentioned several times older Imperial Navy officers will still call Rebels, Pirates, because they usually are encounter when committing piracy and like Pirates operate from hidden bases and strongholds.

Seeing how big the galaxy is and how easily you can strike just about anywhere, connected with how much harm Rebel raiders were able to deal the Empire, it shouldn’t be that hard to convince people, at least those that did not already feel the Emperors forces were excessive.

You would not actualy be able to see them because of lense flairs, ;) plus your brain would have run off within the first 5 minutes of the movie.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  10. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Insert aspiring Alliance cadet in place of Kirk, MC80 in place of the Enterprise. :D

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The degree to which we get new ships will ultimately be dependent on how far after ROTJ they decide to set Episode VII. Personally, I want a mix of the OT designs we all know and love with a handful of newer designs. At least for Episode VII. After that, they can add more new stuff. But I cannot imagine ILM, Lucasfilm, and their parent Disney not wanting to take advantage of the nostalgia of the OT designs. I for one want to see X-wings, TIE Fighters, Mon Cal cruisers, and Star Destroyers in their full CGI glory!

--Adm. Nick

12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah depends on the amount of years after ROTJ, but they would be stupid to leave out the old designs.

With JJ's involvement I think we will at least get a new superweapon, I just hope its not a giant red ball of something. :)

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The only EU superweapon that would be awesome to see would be the World Devastators. I love the look of those things and they are so very ominous.

--Adm. Nick

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Between 4 ABY the Mon Calamari Shipyards went from this:

[​IMG]
    To this:

[​IMG]

If you want proof of what the 5% of the New Republic budget can do for a world, look no further. :p

BTW- I really love that top image. Has a good ole' classic feel to it. Plus I love those old school Rendili shipyards.

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Can the experts here answer a question on the DeepWater-class Light Freighter (sorry its not a Capital Ship); namely does it have torpedo capability in the stock configuration or not -- and if so, what sort of torpedoes?

The Wook doesn't mention any, but Traviss has Aay'han firing a torp in True Colours (p 83) to do a spot of icebreaking.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm surprised no-one's taken that image as "proof" that the Legacy era Empire can build Star Destroyers thousands of km long.

17. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Who needs proof of that? I take it for granted. [face_not_talking]

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So would you be recommending that the Imperious-class Star Destroyer be changed from about 1.6 km long to 3,000 km long?

19. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    The Empire triumphs over trivial things like "physics" and "logic" and "common sense," always and forever!

:D:D:D

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the credo of SD.net and the like was "We're the only group of fans who apply physics, logic, and common sense to the Empire"?

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Randy Stradley mentioned on Dark Horse forums when this issue came out that this particular image was not to scale. According to him, the shipyards would acturally appear, IIRC, like a strand of small pearls around the planet, not like an uber metal version of Saturn's rings. I can try and dig up the actual quote later this evening.

--Adm. Nick

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm guessing the same applies to the pic of Kuat in The Essential Atlas?

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Nope, that's supposed to be a thousands-years-old solid ring of shipyards.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Quick check in my WEG books has the Stock model only armed with a Laser Turret for self defense.