main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Black Fleet Crisis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by exarkun20, Jan 29, 2013.

1. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Actually the BFC was what got me into writing fan fiction... because there, for the first time, the EU universe seemed like a real place to me, with real people and relatable political problems, that might be interesting to write about. Also I think Lobot and Hiram Drayson are among the most criminally underused characters of the entire EU.

kataja likes this.
  2. Darth Balls

Darth Balls Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2013
    Wow I'm surprised that some of you guys like this poopburger of a trilogy.

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Nicely said by Dr. Brule a page back.

I think the BFC's detractors are thrown by a couple of things: 1) as noted, the Luke/Akanah plotline was soon essentially DOA; and 2) in terms of feel the BFC is a lot closer to hard sci-fi than space opera, which arguably isn't the best fit for Star Wars.

I think there are definitely some things that work better than others, but I love that the BFC's galaxy feels BIG where a lot other books just visit the same familiar planets. Plus Kube-McDowell redeemed Chewie's family from the Holiday Special, and even referenced The Wookiee Storybook in a way that was neat and not distracting. But above all else, the account of the New Republic survey team exploring the wreck of the Gnisnal is one of my favorite bits in the entire EU. Before the Storm, p. 123-130. Pure awesome.

4. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    I for one, was bored to tears by this trilogy. They tried to do so many things, and few of them worked. The Lando storyline was awful. The Luke chasing after his history was awful. And every time something was about to get interesting, they'd completely block of that storyline for seven chapters before you got back to it (I'm exaggerating here, but it took forever to get back to a storyline, so long in fact I sometimes had to go back and re-read that chapter to catch up!)

5. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    Poopburger. I like that characterization.

6. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    The only redeeming quality of the whole trilogy was Leia's political fight.

I appreciated the fact they tried some different things, but the writing style and the pacing were just awful.

7. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    The political aspects of rousing a democracy to war fascinated me the most and as I said before, I thought the Yevetha were good villains. They weren't an Imperial Warlord and served as good antagonists. Beyond the ending, it was one government versus another with no Jedi involvement. One thing I kind of wish though was more visual representation of the Yevethan Duskhan League... their army, the Purge and other things.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    You're actually incorrect!

JackG and RC-1991 like this.
  9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Now at the time I read the BFC, I was reading the novels in chronological order, all for the first time. So, that means that I had read Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight, and The Crystal Star with only Starfighters of Adumar in between to be a light in the midst of some really boring EU darkness. So once I got to the BFC it blew my mind. Like most of you that enjoyed the trilogy I remember the Leia parts, and how awesome the Yevetha were as villains, and how totally forgettable the Luke (and apparently Lando because I totally forgot he had a storyline in the book) story was. I did legitimately enjoy it, but I almost wonder if it was because I had been abused so much beforehand.

10. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    Wish I didn't feel that way. It was the only series I've read where I regretted investing the time in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I liked this trilogy. The Leia and Lando parts, I admit Luke's story didn't hold any interest for me. I'm also pretty annoyed that the following books didn't pick up more things from this trilogy (I want my K-Wings dammit).

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I take it you didn't read the Callista trilogy, then?

TheYankee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    Ha, touché. I did, and it was slow trudging. I read them as though they were standalone novels instead of a fluid story arc, so I never really associated them as a trilogy.

But, yes, those were frustrating reads. The first one I read was Planet of Twilight, and I had restrain myself from laughing at the "Hutt Jedi" bit. I took a break from Star Wars lit for awhile after reading that albatross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah Blackfleet was horrible. It seemed like 1/2 the series was Lando arguing with droids on the living spaceship

TheYankee likes this.
  15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I thought the Yevethan were a disgusting race and I don't include them often in my fan stories, only as a passing nod to explain what I did to the Seventh Security Zone and Tig Peramis.

Now there was a character I would've liked to have seen hanged upside down for what he did.

One thing that bugged me, when the hell did the galaxy find out about Luke and Leia's heritage to Darth Vader - that was supposed to be a super secret and I doubt the Noghri and Wookiees were extremely forthcoming nor would their closest friends let slip.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke admits it to his academy class in I, Jedi. Maybe one of them let it slip?

kataja likes this.
  17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I'm not through it - probably because it develops very slowly and doesn't really pull me in. But I still think it has a lot of qualities this far. It's really refreshing to see Lando lead, and his interaction with Lobot and the droids is a really good. I also like Drayson's character. The Yevetha seem like good villains, at least so far (I'm at the end of first book) and I also actually like the Luke plotline. His burn out is a plausible thing after the long number of books where he's been brooding (in timeline 5-16 ABY) and I like that he finally says stop and takes time to figure some things out. That his plan doens' t of course work out because something comes in the way is traditional - and also still in charater - trust Luke Skywalker to be impulsive even when he's burn out :p I can't say I like Akanah, because I know what will happen - but at least she's different, and rather well-developed too - and she brings some new ideas to the table.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I find it odd how these books are viewed as trilogies now :p

Back in the day there was no such thought.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah the best thing about that trilogy is Luke, but even then... not great reads. I would actually put Corellion Trilogy over it.

20. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my request! I just finished reading the trilogy and my interest level varies tremendously.
    Before the Storm was very interesting 8 out of 10
    Shield of Lies was just awful 2 out of 10
    Tyrants Test was okay 5 out of 10

Overall I give it a 5 of 10

The one thing that I do not understand is how Luke and Leia do not know that Padme is their mother. This trilogy takes place 16 years after A New Hope and I find it unrealistic that noone ever told them about Padme. It could not be that hard to find out who Anakin Skywalkers wife was, or am I missing something.

21. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    It was written before the PT. Thus 'Padme' didn't exist at the time, just 'Anakin's wife'.

22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yep, the first book that really reflected Padme as a reality i think was either Tatooine Ghost, or more likely Dark nest

23. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    I just think that Lucas and co. should not have allowed the author do delve into his mother knowing that he was eventually going to do the prequals.

Also, from a common sense point of view, it just does not make sense. I find it hard to believe that Luke did not also ask about his mother when he was with Obi-wan in ANH. He asks about his father and not his mother? Further, in ESB when he finds out he has a twin sister he does not ask Yoda any questions about his mother. Obviously Luke wants to know since he asked Leia in ROTJ what she knows about her real mother. Why not ask Yoda.? And finally, did Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru know about his mother? What did Obi-wan tell them when he shows up with a baby?

I know I will get over this, but this story about his mother just should not have been allowed!

24. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    You're hardly the only one to feel that you know :p

Even die-hard BFC fans (like myself) generally view the Luke plot as the worst part of the books.

25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I know I will get over this, but this story about his mother just should not have been allowed!

i agree.

Even die-hard BFC fans (like myself) generally view the Luke plot as the worst part of the books.

to me the Luke parts were still some of the best, but because the whole series sucked, that is not saying much.