main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If taken literally, the ring would be on the order of 500-1000 km thick.

This pic:

[​IMG]

is decidedly more reasonable- it comes from The Essential Guide to Warfare instead.

2. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
  3. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    How much gravitational disturbance would those have on the planet?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not much, in the case of the thin ring interpretation.

Since the whole thing looks like it's well inside the Roche limit for a roughly Earth-sized planet, it would need to be held together fairly well to prevent tidal forces from disintegrating it (does the ring stay in orbit by rotation, or is it held up by repulsorlifts)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The various depictions of Kuat, starting with EAW, has a pretty solid ring, with a height smaller than the DSII and a width slightly bigger (estimated 570x1240 km roughly, using a 10.000 km diameter to 1070 pixel comparison for Kuat's equator).
    Given this was a millennia-old construct vs. the DSII's six month-construction time, that's not too bad. Also, since the DSII is very close to the moon its orbiting, I assume there's some repulsor measures taken to keep it from disintegrating. Which in turn could be used on a shipyard like Kuat's.

The Sluis Van yards seen below used to be similar (logically, with the image taken from EAW's Kuat depiction). Interestingly, the piece being shot off, starts to go parallel with the planet's axis in the flash video, instead of towards it. This might be a surface or orbital installation attempting to push it out of the way, avoiding a planetary disaster.

There's also this ring world the Executor attacks in Celestia Galactica Photografica, which is more in line with the smaller KDY ring seen in Warfare. Although, that shipyard ring could simply be a tributary, given its drydocks seem very tailor-made for the Imperial era ISDs.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You mean the minimum of 4 years to barely finish the super laser system and not much else?

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Don't forget about the old essential guide to planets and moons where the ring was around the whole system:D

No worries physics, logic, and common sense will one day triumph;)

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If it was an "inner ring"- wouldn't one expect the outer one to be visible- given the distance from the planet it is, in the game shots?

I put it down to differing media- with the new pics being a retcon.

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    With repulsors, "tributary" structures doesn't mean they have to follow exact orbital patterns.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

WEG and the X-Wing books are still more fun here actually, with parts of the shipyards spread across the whole systems and apprently as far out as they mess with the hyperspace properties of the neighboring systems. ;)

11. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Wow, didn't know that , impressive. For how long these shipyards have been around it would be nice to see some more Kuati designs in the Old Republic era.

12. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Gorefiend Many thanks for that info! My RPG ship is no longer exactly 'stock' but (as torpedoes are probably not readily available to more-or-less ordinary citizens, even those with 'a friend in high places' in a local Security Force), I'll stick to the less controversial upgrades I've already declared her to have! Thanks again!

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Kuat has been mentioned as having a rather extensive commercial ship design line and also builds space stations. Not really a surprise as they must have lived from something other than building warships for the Empire at pretty much cost price and of course we have those rather long times of galactic peace before that. So I wound not really be surprised if many of the more mundane looking back ground ships are actually Kuati build transports and of course tons of subcontracting for other designers.

14. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I was hoping the yards were going to be more prominently featured in the Old Republic game.

You might know this or someone else hopefully might. If my memory is working, in I think one of the LOTF books, I remember someone describing the shipyards from a distance in that there were so many shipyard facilities around the system that it "looked" as if they made a solid ring around the whole system. Did I make that up or has something like that ever been mentioned?

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Corellia is properly just more interesting as game setting, plus at the time the Kuat yards would not be as prominent as they seems to have gotten into the limelight in the millennia following the initial Sith Wars.

Platt's Starport Guide has installations arranged in a kind of ring formation around the system, though afaik explains there are just various yards and stations spread all around the system and beyond the systems edge.

If you’re playing in the Imperial era you can actually do the same thing Han Solo and Platt Okeffee did and just register your ship to a world in Outer Rim, as ships registered in that area are permitted to be more heavily armed because Compnor feels that since the area is overrun with Rebels and Pirates, the loyal citizens of the Empire should be able to defend themselves ;). Of course just because you’re registered to the Rim you can still operate in the rest of Imperial space without having to strip off the weapons as it’s expected you will be going back to the home port. Though yes proton torpedoes might be hard to get even with this legal gap, though concussion missiles seem pretty common.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Don't forget the good old Adventure Journal, which indicated that both Kuat and Corellia had a number of lesser shipyards throughout their respective sectors, important enough to merit multiple SDs guarding them even in the post-Endor Empire.

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Didn't one of the TOR timeline videos also give Sluis Van a shipyard ring around itself that was destroyed by the Sith Empire?

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yup, I got it in my montage. They went cheap and just used the Kuat picture from the Wookieepedia, though. Still fun to see a ringworld-esque structure break up like that.

19. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Quick question...do we see anything of the New Class ships (specifically the Nebula's) after the BFC? I'm asking since I'm using a Neb-star over in the RPF, and am making up the backstory for it at the moment.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hand of Thrawn novels mention them, whilst various Sourcebooks just kind of have them around in the background, mentioning them as used mostly for patrolling Coruscant and surround areas, though apparently fighting valiantly in the Vong War and before that against the Imperial Remnant. The Invasion comics also show one, though use the Defender model from the Cracken Threat Dossir for it.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The New Class ships are some of the most criminally overlooked ships in the entire EU, beside the Tector-class Star Destroyer and the Star Defenders, since they basically only appeared in the BFC and are only even mentioned in a handful of other sources as Gorefiend mentioned.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One of the strengths of the BFC was always that the author made a significant attempt to create a new navy for the New Republic rather than recycle the same ISDs and MonCal cruisers; pity that the other Bantam authors of the time period chose otherwise.

I wish WEG hadn't been close to the end at the time Cracken's Threat Dossier was published; the trilogy (and the New Class ships) deserved a full volume by themselves (and without ugly, ugly illustrations). That and the Rogue Squadron and Corporate Sector sourcebooks that were never made. :(

I also liked the 'early NR' ships that CTD created from references in the BFC, logical extensions of existing classes in the years immediately following Endor (like the Belarus-class from the Strike-class); we need more of those to show up in early NR stories.

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    At least we finally got a truly great looking Neb-Star with the Extended Guide to Warfare. But I do agree...despite my VSD fanboyism, we really needed to see more of the New Class. They were supposed to be the backbone of the NR fleet, and developed specifically to counter the madhouse that was the Rebel Fleet. But of course, it was easier to stick with the ISD, even if it was getting long in the tooth, even then.

*sigh*

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The true weapon of the New Republic happens to be the X-Wing anyway ;) Black Fleets attempt to replace it with the (even by book description piece of junk) K-Wing and the E-Wing (which simply looks like butchered X-Wing with half a Vigilance fighter stuck to it) is properly more the reason for lack of staying power, then anything else. Though I always wondered why we never got to see more of the Defender star fighter as it is actually the most often mentioned and shown outcome of the New Fleet program.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Probably true. The X-Wing/A-Wing/B-Wing trio staying as the New Republic's fighter force doesn't bother me. I just happen to like the Neb-Star :p