main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Empire Online Article - hints about location shooting?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Does this hint that Episode 7 won't be made in the US?

"First up, the recruitment drive. "JJ was just on the ceiling when I walked out the door," Kennedy remembered of the three-hour covert meeting she and her writers held with Abrams on December 19. The director had "very genuine concerns" about the impact a potentially overseas-based production might have on his family, not to mention the sheer pressure of piloting the Star Wars universe. "If there was any pause on JJ's part", said the producer, "it was the same pause everybody has - including myself - stepping into this. It's daunting."

Full article below

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36354

Kathleen Kennedy Talks Star Wars
    On JJ Abrams and George Lucas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]31 January 2013 | Written by Phil de Semlyen | Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Tweet

[​IMG]

With news of JJ Abrams' recruitment to the helm of the new Star Wars still reverberating through fandom, The Hollywood Reporter sat down with producer Kathleen Kennedy for an in-depth chat about the newest Disney franchise, its director, and her working relationship with George Lucas.

First up, the recruitment drive. "JJ was just on the ceiling when I walked out the door," Kennedy remembered of the three-hour covert meeting she and her writers held with Abrams on December 19. The director had "very genuine concerns" about the impact a potentially overseas-based production might have on his family, not to mention the sheer pressure of piloting the Star Wars universe. "If there was any pause on JJ's part", said the producer, "it was the same pause everybody has - including myself - stepping into this. It's daunting."

Abrams, for his part, testified to those early reservations, and to the persuasiveness of Kennedy's sales pitch. "I learned first-hand how incredible and persuasive she is," he told THR. "The thing about any pre-existing franchise... I'd sort of done that. But when I met with Kathy, it was suddenly very tantalising."

Lucas's shadow, of course, still looms over the thrillingly rebooted franchise - albeit from a distance. In Kennedy's parlance, he's a Jedi knight offering sage advice and the filmmaking equivalent of mind tricks. "I call him my Yoda," she said. "He'll be a consultant. But he recognises he's stepping away. It took a lot for him to [do that]. And the fact that he turned it over to me - I think, 'Oh my God, I have a huge responsibility to him.' He did say, 'You just do what you do.' I said: 'OK. I'll figure out what that is'."

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes.

my kind of scum and LawJedi like this.
  3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Then obviously itll be up to our European and non-American Star Wars fans to track down the cast, crew and stuff and get us scoops. Do not fail us!

4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Overseas shooting in that it will likely shoot at Elstree or Leavesdon in England like the OT and TPM were. Nothing revealing there.

5. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    Aside from a few shots from the OT what has been shot in the US for Star Wars? The OT was shot predominately at Elstree Studio and the PT was shot predominately in Australia.

6. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    The Endor stuff.

LawJedi likes this.
  7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And the R2/Jawa reshoot shots in ANH ,which I think CoraxRD was hinting at.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This can only mean one thing: Extensive use of the long hall in Trinity Library, Dublin. Lots of Jedi Archives in the ST. [face_good_luck]

I will hang out there, daily, hoping to photobomb the background when Jocasta Nu Ancient walks by on screen. Just because they will cgi me out doesn't mean I am not in the scene.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    True, true... The re-shot scene where the stormtroopers find that little metal ring ("Look sir, droids!") was also shot in CA, IIRC.

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Sorry double post.

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Weren't the Special Edition additions of people during Lando's evacuation order filmed at Skywalker Ranch involving Lucasfilm employees?

12. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The shooting will occur where it is cheapest. Elstree and Leavesdon aren't as cheap as they used to be. Fox sydney is definitely off, for obvious reasons and that the tax breaks they used to get there no longer exist. I honestly think it will be shot in the US in one of the states with the greatest tax exemptions.

13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Sure but the US Dollar is particularly weak, this would point to more production returning to the US.

Australia (for example) is now beyond parity with the US Dollar (AUD$1 = USD$1.04), plus with the economy still strong in Australia with inflation, much higher wages and conditions etc there is no way they will come back to Sydney to film.

However, this is an interesting article on just how big the incentives to come to film in Australia have become - http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3971852.html

It suggests $26 million was given to bring Wolverine here so I suppose anything is possible?

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm going to mention Prague as a reasonable guess. Isn't it quite cheap to film there?

LawJedi likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Oregon.

17. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you, I couldn't for the life of me remember which state it was that had the new kick ass tax breaks.

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Doesn't New Orleans also have some recent tax perks? I know that North Carolina's tax incentives just dried up, after being the home to Iron Man 3 and Hunger Games. Which sucks, because Wilmington, NC is a great little film/TV town, as is where I met my spouse. [face_love]

19. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    New Orleans bayou = Dagobah system.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Or Nal Hutta, if you believe TCW.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe in Ron Perlman and the Ice Pirates. I need to get off the computer now....

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, I believe so. At least parts of the film will be shot on location in places like, perhaps Kent, or say Tunisia.

23. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I also liked this, which was linked to in the Empire Online article.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/jj-abrams-directing-star-wars

Page 8 was particularly good. John Noble - Walter Bishop from Fringe - would make for an interesting Jedi (or otherwise) mystic type of figure. That's only Empire speculating wildly, but it would be good if it ever happened.

24. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Disney took Captain America and Thor 2 to Britain. I can see Star Wars going too especially as it usually has a substantial British cast.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    ROTJ Tatooine stuff was in Yuma, AZ.