main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends What if....(AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 31, 2013.

1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Note: This is an AU one-shot, if Ben didn't become a Jedi...

Disclaimer: Just playing around; I don't own it after all.
    Ben Skywalker pulled out of from under the Jade Shadow and stared at his parents.

"Should we really be letting a sixteen year old do this?" Mara questioned nervously.

"You're just afraid he's going to mess up the Shadow." Luke said with a smile.

"So what if I am? That ship took a lot of effort over these years. I just don't want him to ruin it."

"He's fine, Mar. The boy has great aptitude when it comes to these things, reminds me of myself."

"So you took apart the family speeder on a daily basis, huh?"

"No, but I did help repair it a lot."

"Are you talking about me again?" Ben said, approaching them. "Because you're not being very discreet." He turned to his mother. "I'm fully capable of doing minor repairs andmaintenance on the Shadow."

Years ago, their son had been severely shaken by the Yuuzhan Vong war. So much so, he withdrew from the Force. Luke wanted his son to learn to be not afraid of it, but Mara talked him out of pushing Ben. When Ben reached the age of ten, he started to ask his Uncle Han about certain mechanical aspects. His uncle had only been too willing to show Ben the finer aspects of ship repair.

Luke and Mara had finally begun to see that their son was more interested in mechanics than anything the Force had to offer.

"I know you are, Baby."

"Mom, don't call me that." At her look, he reassured, "The Shadow is fine. Better than fine."

She looked at her ship. "So if I turn on something, it's not going to fry?"

Ben scowled. "Mom, a little more support please."

Mara sighed. "You're right, Ben."

"So, how does she look?" Luke asked.

"Have you guys really been keeping up the maintenance? Because it's shoddy in there."

"I do not do shoddy maintenance." Mara denied, looking insulted.

"I'm sorry, Mom, but as the foremost tech for the Shadow, I believe it's my duty to make sure she's in working order."

Mara worked her jaw, suddenly becoming annoyed.

"We'll be back," Luke excused.

"Why ever did we let him choose mechanics?" She grumbled.

"Because you said to let him follow his own path," Luke responded. "And we did, and he's learning. He'll gain employment with some reputable company, so in the end letting him work on the Shadow will be worth it."

"You're right…I did say that." She shook her head. "The last thing I ever want to do is make him resent us… He loves what he's doing, and I can actually say I'm happy for him."

Luke smiled and kissed Mara's forehead lovingly.

"Ugh, again," a voice said.

Luke and Mara turned to gauge their son. Ben was standing behind them, twisting a tool in his hand. His parents exchanged loving glances.

Ben sighed. "Look, as much as I hate to disturb you," He didn't. "I need to leave in a bit for a test, but I wanted to make sure the Shadow checked for you."

Mara smirked at her son's sarcasm.

"Don't push it…or you won't touch her again." She growled.

"And hinder my studies?" His eyes opened wide, in feigned shock.

Mara turned to her husband "Why is it when he becomes a smart mouth, he switches over to your type of humor?"

"Beats me." Luke said, shrugging.

"Wasting daylight." Ben chimed in.

Mara scowled. "He's now officially yours at the moment."

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey, Ben probably will have less of a chance of getting decapitated by a Sith as a mechanic. It probably pays better also.

EmeraldJediFire and Jade_eyes like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL at JL's comment ;) Great AU and banter. Yuppers, definitely a "safer" career path [face_laugh] [:D] !!!!

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  4. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Given that he learned starship repair from uncle Han I could see where the concern that turning one thing on would cause something else to fry might be valid.

Great story.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. As much as I adore Jedi Ben, I quite enjoy it when he decides to be rebellious. And JL is right, mechanics have a much lower on-the-job mortality rate :p

6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks, Jade_eyes. I loved writing this AU..even if it was just as an experiment. I love writing banter...none of my fics are complete without it I think.

Yep, Briannakin AU Ben is fun; still the same kind with the same mouth; just a different life.

As for him being safer; you are ALL correct. In fact, that's Luke and Mara's biggest relief is that he won't be putting his life in danger as a Jedi. I mean, he'll get into trouble...he's a Skywalker after all, but hopefully it won't be as much as his Dad.

First of all, thanks.

Second: are you saying Han's bad at ship repair ?;) The Falcon is still running and its the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy". Plus it made "the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs'. :D;) Okay I'm done quoting the movies--for now. [face_laugh]

But seriously, he may have learned from Han in the beginning but he's going to an academy to actually learn starship repair. That way he'll be able to be licensed to work with reputable company; maybe even a trading

ccp likes this.
  7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Ben as a mechanic... he would be tortured by his cousin, his mom would have to gobafter said cousin and end up getting herself killed.... Yeah, i approve! :D

8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    "Why is it when he becomes a smart mouth, he switches over to your type of humor?"

"Beats me." Luke said, shrugging.

"Wasting daylight." Ben chimed in.

Because he knows how much it annoys her? Love the idea of Ben as a mechanic, too!!!

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Perhaps :D I'm surprised Ben being a mechanic is being taken so well.

10. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This last line for me was the best -- made roar with laughter -- thank you!