main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    PLESASE GO TO SCHOOL FOR AN ADDITIONAL TWO TO FOUR YEARS WITH A FOCUS ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND/OR COMMUNICATION

that's exactly how he interpreted your post and you've evidently misinterpreted his rebuttal

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Note what I just bolded. Less murders I doubt especially since you're assuming that everyone, including a potential victim, is carrying at all times, and the fact that I don't understand what the heck police seeing assault rifles being carried means less murders

Less deaths in general, I also take issue with based on gun accidents.

3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    am I happy?? why would that make me happy?? all I wanted was people to actually start using their brains instead of what the talking points the media tells you.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No, you want people to start agreeing with you. At least that is how it looks.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh, but they would gladly swap their handguns for cumbersome assault rifles. that, or you just admitted that this hypothetical is a completely pointless sidetrack.

6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    agree with what? the facts? that handguns are the problem not assault rifles. sure Id like people to agree with that??

its not the type of gun but who carries it, how its used and how easily it was purchased.

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Agreed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    what I said was if you took the hand guns away, replaced them with rifles the murder rate wouldn't vary to much, even possibly drop.

and sure, cops seeing an unregistered assault rifle would result in jail time and a gun charge. Since most shootings happen in inner cities and are a result from hand guns.

9. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    This is the hypothetical (apologies for giving harpuah an alert)

So, okay, cops see people carrying assault rifles on the street. But the entire thought experiment that we're discussing (that's gone on for way too long) is that everyone is packing an assault rifle, so why would the cops start stopping people?

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why aren't they "even in the same realm?" Your argument so far has been based solely on the frequency of use in actual crimes. If you are admitting that maybe some other factors are important in consider which weapons to ban, you should say so. Of course, then your argument against other firearms restrictions perhaps wouldn't be so airtight, and you certainly call proposals "laughable."

11. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one said everyone is carrying them. what I said was if you took hang guns away completely and replaced them with assault rifles youd prob see less murders. never did I once say, "everyone is an owner of them"

most people who own guns now never event take their guns outta the home. Its so easy to understand, if most murders are with hand guns and most murders happen in inner cities wouldn't it seem logical that the ease to conceal them adds to the murder rate.

Its much harder to sneak around with a hand gun that an assault rifle..

I could be completely wrong though, maybe murder rates wouldn't stay flat or dip down slightly. I just feel the easier it is to hide something the less likely it is to be caught with something.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Problem is you can't ban handguns since those are the 'good' kind of guns and hero patriots can use them for defense.

V-2 likes this.
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Um...

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

The entire point of 2 page long discussion was that everyone was carrying. Sorry if you didn't recall that. Edit: according to tom's quote you did remember it.

Anyway this will be my last post for the evening since I have work tomorrow, but you're also assuming the inner cities will have enough police coverage to deal with criminals in the "inner city" who have assault rifles. If not, and I don't think there would be enough, you now have people shooting at each other with assault rifles.

Also, say a cop sees a guy with an assault rifle and wants to stop him. You think that guy is going to go peacefully? Cause guess what? Dude has an assault rifle.

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    do I need to explain how a gun and a nuclear missile aren't at all similar... you cant even be serious.

and would it??? I also clearly stated throughout this thread that other factors play a role in murder rates in this country. and banning assault rifles would make no difference to anyone. it doesn't solve any problem at all. Banning them masks the real problems of the country...

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

no I clearly wasn't, you are saying tht was the point...

but sir they have all those weapons now in the inner cities, ak-47 and assault rifles and yet the gun of choice of inner city deaths are hand guns.

and why would it be any different if a cop saw someone with an assault rifle or a hand gun? what would make some with a rifle more eager to shoot a cop than someone holding a high powered handgun.

18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Dude, come on, did you seriously forget what you posted? That's what started this entire thing.

Anyway I'm off for the night.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    seeing how often people seem to be misinterpreting you and you seem to be misinterpreting others, "clearly" may be an adverb you want to avoid.

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    if everyone who has a hand gun replaced it with an assault rifle id venture to say youd see less murders based solely on how easy it is to conceal one vs. the other.

that's what I was getting at. if there was confusion I also apologize for that as well.

V-2 likes this.
  21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

next time add something to the post and how assault rifles aren't the problem in the gun control issue. thanks...

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nah, i'm good. you already made it clear yourself how utterly pointless this line of discussion is. you're just blabbering at this point.

23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    really I was playing devils advocate. You still believe thyre the problem when they only account for 4% of the murder rate.

24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well, that's still hundreds of people being murdered so yeah, it's a problem. not the problem obviously, but an aspect of it.