main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, he's so often typecasted as "evil old man", it's about time he got a nicer role... :p

PCCViking, Juliet316 and Chewgumma like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But would casual (or even some hardcore) fans even recognize him once he done up to look like Hartnell?

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Assuming he's been done to look up like Hartnell, David Bradley is a very good look alike. Plenty of people thought Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was going to be a multi-Doctor story because of how much he looks like Hartnell.

And Looper, a big budget movie, couldn't make Joseph Gorden Lovett look like anyone other than himself, despite him wearing prosthetics to make him look like Bruce Willis, so I think most kids would be able to see Tricey's murderer (Sod the Silurians, that was what made Soloman despicable! :mad:) no matter how much make up they apply. :p

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We shall see. I mean you wouldn't necessarily recognize Amy Pond as the soothsayer from Fires of Pompeii at first sight.:p

PCCViking and Random Comments like this.
  5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes but the Soothsayer wasn't exactly what I'd call a central or particularly memorable role, nor would I call Fires of Pompeii a particularly memorable episode. Solomon was the main villain within Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and is pretty memorable for being a nasty piece of work and one of the few villains that the Doctor has murdered in cold blood since 2005.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, because people have seen Harry Potter and would remember him being on DW.

I'm also glad he's getting to play someone who's not a crotchety villain. Should be interesting, it's good casting.

As to Tennant's sideburns.... good point, but if they really want them I guess they could give fake ones. Though that would quite possibly look really silly. It does leave off some of the Doctor flair though without them. Hmm... I'm still wondering if he'd be playing Ten or Ten's clone anyway.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope it's real Ten, because the "clone" is part (half? I don't really understand how it's supposed to work) Donna, including some personality traits. It wouldn't be the same-- well, unless they ignored the details of his origin.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It wouldn't quite be the same, no, and I'd prefer to see real Ten... but I wouldn't have an objection to seeing both :p

Random Comments likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Of course you wouldn't. :p

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    ...Amy was the soothsayer??

Oh, and finished season 2 of Torchwood.

[​IMG]

And hang on just one minute; I just started Children of Earth and the dude that just died in the hospital was a Mr. Williams also.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well her portrayer was one of the girls in the temple anyway.

And *HUGS* for you after Torchwood S2. [:D]

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm convinced that Davies & Moffat have no souls, are in fact dementors, and live to suck the happiness out of everyone.

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I still need to watch Torchwood. I was more drawn to watching Classic Who for some reason. Really close to done with season 1, but slowed to a halt when I got halfway through Reign of Terror and realized they only had audio for the episode I was on. I hate that :(

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't want to see any of the past Doctors portrayed by new actors, I'd rather they not appear at all or just as flashbacks.

15. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't know if anybody's mentioned this...

"Moffat told the Radio Times: “We’ll be up in the air, we’re under the water, we’re on a fantastic alien planet, we’re back in time, we’re forward in time, and the Doctor’s greatest secret is in jeopardy.”"

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Mrs halibut is now at the end of series 3, and seems to be showing a keen interest. She loved the Family of Blood 2-parter, but skipped "Blink" because she watched that with me when it first aired and hasn't forgiven me for scaring the bejeezus out of her afterwards by hiding and tripping the lights.

MrZAP, KamSolusar and Random Comments like this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have got to be honest... I have never quite understood the level of love and terror people ascribe to Blink. It's a really good, very solidly written, original episode. It's definitely one of the best NuWho eps. But it's not the best. And maybe I'm just really hard to scare, but I don't find it scary. A couple tense moments but that's about it.

I really wanted to see where it wound up in the countdown. Ahem :p

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well you have managed to disparage an entire series based on one unfinished episode and insult anyone who has managed to watch all of it, whilst simultaneously rejecting any opinions of people who actually watch it, so I won't hold too much sway to your opinion of Blink :p

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So this is apparently what a recent (?) interview with Eccelston & Tennant said about the 50th. Fake or true, no clue, but made me happy.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Both absolutely true

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd be more inclined to believe them, if Tennant didn't get twitchy and bush - beaty everytime the 50th questions come up and if Eccleston wasn't sporting Nine style hair. ;)

23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    In other news...
    I finally have a copy of Series 7A!
    I'll catch up before the première!

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh dear lord. I just finished up Children of Earth. Spent most of part 5 crying. These guys really know how to rip your heart apart.

Specifically this quote:

SHEESH. Way to keep that knife in my heart twisting.

And Netflix pulled Miracle Day! Boo.