main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Mods' Trope Challenge - Winners Announced!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello fellow NSWFF-ers!

We are a month into the new year, and already we have a great start to our tales told outside of a galaxy far far away. This time of year, our muses are bright, and our pens are itching to write - and so, we are providing you with added impetus to do so. That's right, it is time for a Mods' challenge! [face_dancing]

*drumroll please . . .*

We are proud to present you with the Mods' Trope Challenge!

Your task, should you so accept, is simple . . .

The Challenge

What is a trope, you may wonder? Tropes are (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage]as[/url] defined by tvtropes.org) devices and conventions that a writer can rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. They are tricks of the trade - clichés, some may call them. But, ten times more interesting.

The challenge will run as a roulette. Pick a number from the sign-up sheet below, and once your number is picked, you will be given a trope to write for. With this trope, your job is to write a story, at least 1,500 words long, with that trope as your subject and inspiration. While there is a word limit for your fics, there is no word cap, and we encourage you to let your muses to go wild – although, remember, only what you have completed and posted in a chaptered story by the deadline will be eligible for the voting. Also, remember that within those chapters that you have posted, your trope must be clearly present before the deadline's end.

Your story may be posted at any time from the opening of this thread, until the deadline, and once posted, feel free to provide a link for your story in this thread. Also, please remember to put [Mods' Trope Challenge] in your subject line, so that the stories are easy to find.

The Voting

The winner will be decided by voting. So, when the time comes, choose which entries you thought responded to their trope in the most creative manner, and PM that and a second place vote, as well, to one of your NSWFF mods.

Everyone may vote – not only those who wrote entries. As a matter of fact, we encourage any and all to vote. Remember, though, do not vote for yourself, or vote with socks.

Winning

Scoring will be based on votes. Each vote for 1st place will be 2 points, a vote for 2nd place will be worth 1 point. The person with the most total points will win 1st place, 2nd most votes 2nd place and so on. Three prizes will be awarded:

1 Week of colors for 1st place
    72 hours of colors for 2nd place
    24 hours for 3rd place

The Deadlines

Your stories are due by March 1st, 11:59 board time.
    Your votes are due by March 8th, 11:59 board time.

Sign-up Sheet

03. Raxacoricofallapatorius
    04. NYCitygurl
    06. lazykbys_left
    07. Master_Jaina1011
    13. Alexis_Wingstar
    17. laurethiel1138
    20. Mira_Jade
    24. DaenaBenjen42

The Entries

* http://boards.theforce.net/threads/earth-2-choice-to-make-mods-trope-challenge.50010073/]Choice[/url] to Make, by Daenabenjen42, Earth 2
    * http://boards.theforce.net/threads/star-trek-2009-mods-tropes-challenge-strange-exchange-body-swap-kirk-spock.50010353/][/url]"Strange Exchange" by laurethiel1138, Star Trek 2009

* http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-sundering-the-red-star-vignette-trope-challenge.50010241/][/url]"Red Star" by NYCitygurl, The Sundering (Not eligible for voting)

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I think I'm crazy to sign up for this, but here I am all the same. Give me number 17, and I'll see what I can do with it...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ahh, I'm so excited for this :D I'm out of competition, obviously, but my muse wants to take a gander at whatever #4 is! (Should we by some awesome means have more than 24 people, I'll throw it back.)

laurethiel1138 I think you're crazy awesome! :p

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    First, I wish to lodge a formal complaint against posting a link to TvTropes. Last time I ventured there, I lost several days' worth of sleep and laughed so hard I got stomach cramps. :p

Second - gimme #06, please.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I'd like #13, please.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I know, that should be against the TOS! I love that site :D

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]!! Tell me about it! I killed hours of my life putting this challenge together, and I still bear the pains from those lost hours of sleep. Oh, but what a wonderful way it is to loose track of time. 8-}

And, that said, check out all of you brave people embarking upon this! Your tropes have all been sent, so if I missed anyone, please feel free to point out my mistake. ;)

Also, if anyone would be so kind to pick a number for me (since I have the masterlist and don't want to pick out my own :p), I would be eternally grateful. Like Nat, I will throw mine back if we get a tidal wave of participation. :D

8. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Oh dear I'm afraid of this challenge because the last time I ventured into that site I didn't come out for days. Oh what the heck I'll take...7.

And for you Mira I pick... Number 20.

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And your Trope is sent! :cool:

Thanks for the pick, Master_Jay. :D [:D]

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'll take... #24, please.

11. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
  12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    All tropes are sent. :D

Anyone else? [face_batting]

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Any more takers? There are plenty of tropes to go around. [face_mischief]

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Sooo . . . how are those stories coming? :D [face_batting]

15. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    So long as you don't mind seeing characters you've never heard of before... fine... ;)

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I look forward to having my fandom horizons broadened, Daena. [face_laugh] [face_dancing]

. . . as for everyone else, the deadline for posting fics is today. Is there anyone who would like an extension on that deadline? How are your muses treating you? :)

17. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well crap I need an extension. I have a good idea but my muse is finnicky lately.

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    It isn't much (yet), but: Choice to Make (I would, however, also love an extension. The reason? It's been a busy month and I'm slowly working through the clutter left over from NOT writing for far too long.)

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, an extension it is!

. . . so . . . how does a week sound? Is there anyone who needs more time than that? :)

20. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Thanks for the extension, Mira_Jade! I have been buried under tonnes of work of late, and, though I could have produced something decent in time, the ending simply wouldn't have been up to my usual standards...

On another note, I have a little question. As we can now put in our settings our specific time zone, I'd like to know what is Board Time, exactly. Is it ET or PT (or CT)?

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

21. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Boards time... I think it's PT, because that's what it was before the move.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Board time is Pacific.

I need the extension 8-} I've actually started on mine with a fandom I never thought to write in ... but it fits so well with my trope!

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Tropes suck. I honestly feel my writing has gotten better when I stopped looking up tropes and just wrote what I felt like. Conforming to a trope or writing to get as many tropes as possible into a story is backwards to me.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Everyone has a different way of going about things. Though the point of this is to feel challenged ;) I for one just love getting lost on that site 8-}

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Don't get too lost, or you'll end up like me. Got onto their forums there and after a while (and some second opinions) I walked away from the whole site in disgust. Tropes are harmless enough, but the people that far back in the site practically dictate everything in their lives by a trope. They talk with tropes, can't finish a sentence without them. Creativity dies in their writer's block thread. I quit and try to avoid links to the place if I can help it.

Being on SomethingAwful didn't make it easy for me either. Tropers hate Goons with a passion, especially when the goons dig up the worst of the site's scummy background.