main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    There are a couple different ways.

"No!" Han said.

"She can't!" Luke yelled at the same moment.

Or:

Han said "No!" at the same time Luke yelled, "She can't!"

And I'm sure there are more; those are just a couple examples.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That second example is how I was going to write it, but I wan't sure if it was technically correct. Thanks for your help!

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've seen it done similarly to this:

Han and Luke jumped out of their seats, stumbling over each other's words as they fought to be heard.

"No!"

"She can't!"

You could also have them talk over each other by interrupting a character.

"No!" Han was aghast. "Is she insane?! She doesn't even—"

"She can't!" Luke's voice sliced through the room.

However, the two examples in the previous post may suit your purposes more.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I second Trak. They're all options, depending on your preferred writing style :)

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have a question about point of view. I was writing a chapter in one of my fics where three of my major characters are in the same scene. After a half page of dialog I realized the scene wasn't through anybody's particular point of view. Is this wrong?

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Not really. Point of view and how deep into a character's head you go is really a matter of preference. Though, depending on who you ended the last scene with, you may want to continue the next scene through that person's point of view. Who are your POV characters for this story? The POV character is the person that tells the story. If one of those characters, through whom you are telling the story, is in that scene, then you should concentrate on that character's point of view. But, having a third person omniscient point of view isn't a bad thing.

J_Girl likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is usually Luke and Mara and an OC that I follow in my story. It's just sometimes I go to a scene that happens the next day, so there is a break between the earlier scene. And in the case where I am having a problem with it is just informational dialog for the reader...like this is the plan to break into a heavily guarded Imperial bunker.

I was stupid enough to put a tiny bit of plot into my usual fluff fanfic and now I am having problems. That'll teach me to get serious.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This thread needs resurrecting - we were even discussing something like this on the temp boards.

9. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I am trying to come up with a title for a fanfic I am writing that is a diary/journal, but its not a Dear Diary Challenge...its just a journal related to two other fanfics I have written. Its basically one that Padme writes that takes place during the prequels and some parts in between...right now its barely in the early stages of wriitng so this won't be posted for quite some time. Any ideas for coming up with a title....I have a few, but I can't decide between the ones I have. What advice would you give for deciding?

10. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I find that the title is one of the absolute last things that gets finalised. I'd pick a working one for now just so you have something to call the fic, but I wouldn't worry about picking a definite one until you're further along. By then, you should have a better idea of what you'll be doing and which title is the right one.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, don't fret over a title right now. Get a few entries under your belt, first. When I started my diary, I started it two months in advance, under a working title. Two months later, after several title changes, I settled on one that was both a pun and conveyed the message I was looking for. And it came to me while I was in the bathroom.

I'm not sure how to suggest "spend more time in the bathroom," but many of my good ideas come to me when I'm either taking a shower or using the bathroom. :p

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm the last person to go to for Title advice (Sol Hope, Celestial Legacy, Wrath of the Gods...yeah...) but it really does make more sense to wait on your title. You want to get your story done before you really start worrying about it. Just get a working one for now, and who knows, you may keep it.;)

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I usually start with a temporary 'working title' when I'm doing my first few chapters. It's usually some random word that has something to do with the fic. Sometimes the title evolves from that word, other times a better title just hits me, usually while I'm brushing my teeth.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    See? The bathroom is clearly the well of ideas!

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It is. Whenever I have a problem with a plot, I take a bath. 99% of the time I work it out.

TrakNar likes this.
  16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I get all my really good ideas in the shower.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I write my chapters in my head while taking a bubble bath. I have a Star Wars themed mosaic tiled tub to inspire me. :D What's sad is...I'm not joking.

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Hmm, what a coincidence. I get most of my ideas in the shower, too.

19. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    I have a question for my personnal project (Zero, feel free to read it...lol)

How do you find sarcasm in general ? Here is a bit I tried to make a somewhat snarky....

In her desperate quest for recognition, the lead was often trying to push op-ed pieces, imitating the style of more reputable and known reporters. The results were usually somewhat comical, as she had a marked tendency to copy other sources, while not being very good at selecting the right ones. A good example was her legendary editorial about the latest tensions between Coruscant and Alsaka, made with using as the key reference a documentary made by the HHS (Holonet Historical Channel). The editorial was thus heavy on «Pius Dea secret routes», «Celestial cults», «Sith sects kidnapping girls from the Core to use them as sexual slaves», the usual fare of the HHS-how this was exactly related to trade disputes was not very clear in the HHS documentary, and even less the editorial. This masterpiece had thankfully fallen in the cracks somewhere between the lead datapad and the network headquarters. The would-be historian had kept preciously this document, just in case the «boss» managed by some miracle (or by bedding a VP) to achieve some career progression-as a last Pazzak card.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Personally, I love it when prose gets snarky. It makes me laugh. It also helps to supplement a unique narrator's voice.

21. Janakin Skywalker

Janakin Skywalker Jedi Master

Sep 21, 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I'm even in the right place for asking this question. I used to read a FanFic on these boards years ago, must have been early 2000's, I'm not too sure. I can't remember the author, the name of it or anything but I remember the basic story. I never got to finish it and I'd love to read it again. I'm brand new to this forum so I was wondering if someone could direct me to where I could possibly find it. I'll post a brief description of it here if that's ok and if it's not I can delete it and maybe someone could direct me to the right place.

The basic part of the story was that Obi-Wan, before the events of ROTS crash landed on Earth, met a girl on Earth who was a massive Star Wars fan and he fell in love with her. She showed him the Star Wars Saga on DVD and he was so upset about Anakin falling that when he went back his role was pretty much reversed with Anakin's. I'm not sure if he fell to the dark side but I think he did. Pretty much it was a switch between Anakin and Padme and Obi-Wan and this earth girl. That's all I can remember. I also remember Snow on Earth for some reason.

Does anyone think they could help me at all?

Sorry if I'm in completely the wrong section. Need to get used to this place.

Thanks.

22. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    About your question I remember seeing a thread called "Looking for Fics" or something like that.

Concerning the fic, I believe the fic you're looking for is jmsbndgrl's "Always in Motion" and its sequel "Always in Motion: If You Love Me"

23. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    I've got a question...

I am a perfectionist (it's horrible, I tell you), and a big thing with me is that, although I may manipulate the events, I always want to stay in character. For example, Yoda, "Speak like this, I will!" Versus "I will speak in a perfectly logical order." I like characters to keep their traits and nuances, while I play with the universe. Trouble is, that universe has a LOT of characters in it. I don't know them all. I get stuck on these small parts of dialog and interaction and my story takes a frustrating halt. However, I love seeing cameo's of outside characters when reading fics. At the moment, I'm trying to understand Jedi Healer Cilghal better; her values, traits, and how she is in conversation. I also have dialog between Tycho and Wedge; I have an idea of their relationship but I've never read the X-wing series.

If anyone can help me with those characters or have advice, I'd appreciate it [face_love].

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    There are few ways to go about it - one is read a lot of fellow fan fiction writers stories who feature said same if you're looking for their 'voices', or just write out the dialogue as it flows to YOU (and if someone says "Well that's not how so and so it, let them write thier OWN fics!)

As the for other, the Wookieepidia can give you some background on characters, and once again, chase out other fics, but ultimately you are writing your OWN story...

And yeah, I'm a shower 'writer' but I find the keys get stuck if I'm not careful... ;)

25. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    Thank you! I never thought of the idea of seeing how the character's were portrayed in other fics... thanks for the tip! I remember not getting much direction from Wookiepedia, but it's good for history and background, and the quotes are helpful.