main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So 2030 Americas little problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    eh, if you put it that way we're all dying slowly. if some poor person finds some small amount of joy in eating copious amounts of ice cream and bacon who's to say that's any more meaningless than whatever escape we take pleasure in?

did i mention i'm reading "the road"?

Stackpole_The_Hobbit and V-2 like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol, just feeling extra cynical i guess.

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    What? who combines icecream and bacon? That can't be palatable.

As for the soul food question, many people from the West Indies and Central and South America, eat extremely heavy foods because life is simply not sedentary in a good chunk of the equitorial regions of the planet. And you tend to go a long time between breakfast/lunch/dinner, you don't snack much in Jamaica (Not when I went there to visit family)

As American there is an ugly fact that our nation is built around cars rather than around people, especially the suburbs. When I lived in Queens and Brooklyn pre-1999 I personally walked a hell of alot more that I have since moving to Nassau county. I have heard that the Italian people dont have an obesity epidemic because though they eat rich foods they also walk alot more.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

-G-O-A-T- likes this.
  6. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Oh God....Realy? My brain just broke.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Double Down and Doritos Taco didn't already do that?

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Good point. We should get rid of all "freedoms" that don't "provide any benefit" on your end that might also kill you--slowly or otherwise. We can't expect people to make responsible choices, after all.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm of the opinion that junk food is an arbitrary, subjective term. There are no unhealthy foods (unless it's poisoned or perished), only unhealthy eating practices. MacDonalds 3 or 4 times a year as a treat won't do much, 3 or 4 times a month will. 3 or 4 per week or per day is practically suicidal. ;)

Even the 'Man Vs Food' kind of stuff isn't going to kill you, it's the amount of it, and the frequency.

It's not completely our fault though, we are the product of our evolutionary success on the savannah, but when you see things like this, it's easy to point fingers.

From my UK perspective, we have very expensive food AND rising obesity, so I don't think raising prices is the answer (though it may be the answer for relieving poverty in poorer countries affected by your Orwellian 'Free Trade' and crop subsidies, but I digress). One thing that strikes me about American foods is how sugary they are. Even your bread tastes sweet.

PS: Anyone who puts sugar in tomato sauce is a bounder.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Serious question. Why would anyone care if they're eating horse meat instead of cow meat? Obviously, I don't mean to suggest that it's ok to pretend you're selling one thing and then sell another. But--and perhaps this question deserves a thread of its own--if you're a meat-eating kind of person, why is one animal more acceptable to eat than another? Cow, horse, goat, dog, cat, grizzly bear, whatever. Why the revulsion?

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've had leberkäse vom pferd. It's delicious. On a kaiser roll from a roadside sausage stand. mustard and ketchup.

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Cats, Dogs and Crizzly Bears are fellow meat eaters! its just tasteless.

Bad form really.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think it has to do with the fact that if they tasted any good, we would be eating them. I mean, think about it: Why, we as a society, decided cows, pigs, and chickens were okay to eat was because they were the tastiest. Trial and error amongst primitive peoples, if you will.

Just my thought.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Curried goat tastes better than most preparations of chicken and every single cut of pig save center cut bacon.

Condition2SQ and Souderwan like this.
  17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't the French eat horse? Who cares.

Souderwan likes this.
  18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't know that I'd agree, though. Horse is quite tasty, I'm told. But I do think you're right about the fact that long ago we selected cows, pigs, etc and that became the cultural norm. I just think that we picked those animals because they're fairly easy to domesticate and provide a lot of meat for the amount of effort it takes to raise them. Cats and dogs produce very little meat.

V-2 likes this.
  19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You cannot make a valid comparison on the superiority of the taste of goat, unless the pork and chicken you are comparing it to are also similarly curried.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    As has been noted, it's much easier to farm herbivorous animals than carnivorous. That rules out cats & dogs.

V-2 and Souderwan like this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Curried chicken and pig are so much inferior I didn't even see the point in bringing it up.

22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I've had curried chicken and goat. Goat's better. Chicken's cheaper and easier to cook. Curried pork is disgusting.

Edit: Someone should note the time and date. Wonkers and I are currently in complete agreement.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    But he's trying to say curried goat is better than almost all chicken dishes, and every pork dish*. Do you agree with that?

* except one particular cut of bacon.

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    No, I can't agree with that. There are some pretty amazing pork tenderloin dishes out there. And there are a metric butt tonne of awesome chicken dishes.

jp-30 likes this.
  25. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I lost 40 pounds through a university study. We met once a week for twenty weeks, then every other week for another twenty. We learned about making good food choices, food triggers, emotional eating, how to handle parties and holidays, etc. Nothing too earth-shattering, but still useful. There were maybe 12 of us in the group, and every week we'd share how well we met our calorie and exercise goals. Accountability is SO important when dieting. I tried so much harder knowing people would hear about my success or failure. Better yet, I got paid $100 for successfully completing the program. There needs to be more of these programs available. Almost everyone in our group looked and felt so different after those 40 weeks!

Souderwan likes this.